OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 01:42:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anti -Orthodox website  (Read 5963 times) Average Rating: 0
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2004, 10:34:49 AM »

I would say that unfortunately a great many people who were raised Orthodox know next-to-nothing about Orthodoxy, but anyone raised Orthodox could think we use wafers does boggle the mind... ;-) unless, of course, one was raised Armenian?

I think you make an extremely good point.

One sees similar anti-RC stuff by supposed ex-Catholics reflecting an amazing level of ignorance.

Just the same, I too find it hard to believe that a former Orthodox could imagine that we use wafers in the Eucharist.

Didn't somebody post the first name of the owner of that web site? Wasn't it Twila?

Correct me if I am wrong, but that name is about as Southern Baptist as they come.

When I see or hear it I can almost smell Texas Mesquite, fajitas, and Lonestar!

Darn!

Now I've gone and made myself hungry and thirsty!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 10:35:37 AM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2004, 11:20:40 AM »

Here is the wishy washy reply I got to my email to these people -

Dear Bob,

We receive retorts a good deal. Our purpose is to advocate for our position, and to do this consistently with history and historic documents. We are interested in truth and historical facts.

We do believe that we should respond to most email that we receive. And we also believe that we should be willing to prove it wrong.

Keep in mind though that our staff is still small, and that we receive thousands of viewers every month.

We do agree with you, that we should have forms and places on our website, that would make it easier for people to respond to us, about questions or particular issues. We are working on that, even though we know that those pages are not yet finalized, so we have not released them for the public.

We do respond publicly to those who write to us, but often we do this in the form of webpages that explain our point of view on a particular subject. We just don’t advertise that email was the particular reason that prompted us to post a particular webpage, but that has happened a good amount.

In fact, we count on the emails that we do receive (in the absence of having feedback forms easily available on our site - for the moment) - in order to help us understand 1) where we are clear and where we are not 2) where we can add additional information or documentation on particular issues.

We do value the emails and feedback that we do receive from others, but we are aware that this may not always be obvious to those who come to our website.

Thanks for your note, and whether we agree with you or not, we would welcome emails about concerns which you may have.

In Christ,

XOFC

=======

My email:

I notice that you ask form comments and proof of those of us who disagree with you.  Yet, other than a few selected replies, I cannot find a section dedicated to the responses you receive and your retort.  If such is not the case, please show where I cann access such.  If it is not available, then what is the point of your whole website if not to proseltyze without retort?

In other words, you ask for freeback but are either not willing to publish such feedback or prove it wrong.

Bob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2013, 07:14:41 AM »

Very interesting.....just a whole bunch of crap:

http://www.exorthodoxforchrist.com/

Link is dead!

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2013, 06:12:28 PM »

I'm very skeptical that it was really written by an ex-Orthodox Christian; it sounds more like it was written by a typical anti-Roman Catholic Protestant who just discovered Orthodoxy and after seeing that we're liturgical, just read the Wikipedia article on Orthodoxy, copied-and-pasted his anti-RC article onto that website and changed "Catholic" to "Orthodox" and inserted a couple of half-butted criticisms of Orthodoxy coming from a quick glance at our Wikipedia page.

On the other hand, it could have been written by a catechumen from an Evangelical background who left Orthodoxy during his catechumenate period and thus had minimal experience to Orthodoxy, or, it could be from a Cradle Christopher who never really understood his faith, and was deceived by Evangelical Missionaries and started writing this stuff based off of his own inadequate experience and the strawmen of the Evangelicals.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2013, 09:41:45 PM »

Link is dead!

But not this thread now, for some reason...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2013, 10:00:18 PM »

Link is dead!

Don't complain!  Wink
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2013, 10:07:25 PM »

I'm very skeptical that it was really written by an ex-Orthodox Christian; it sounds more like it was written by a typical anti-Roman Catholic Protestant who just discovered Orthodoxy and after seeing that we're liturgical, just read the Wikipedia article on Orthodoxy, copied-and-pasted his anti-RC article onto that website and changed "Catholic" to "Orthodox" and inserted a couple of half-butted criticisms of Orthodoxy coming from a quick glance at our Wikipedia page.

On the other hand, it could have been written by a catechumen from an Evangelical background who left Orthodoxy during his catechumenate period and thus had minimal experience to Orthodoxy, or, it could be from a Cradle Christopher who never really understood his faith, and was deceived by Evangelical Missionaries and started writing this stuff based off of his own inadequate experience and the strawmen of the Evangelicals.

So basically, it could be written by anyone.

Thank you, Mr. Holmes.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2013, 11:01:55 PM »

On the other hand, it could have been written by a catechumen from an Evangelical background who left Orthodoxy during his catechumenate period and thus had minimal experience to Orthodoxy
True.  I've had evangelical friends try to "save" me.  laugh 

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2013, 11:29:08 PM »

On the other hand, it could have been written by a catechumen from an Evangelical background who left Orthodoxy during his catechumenate period and thus had minimal experience to Orthodoxy

...Have YOU been saved?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2013, 11:37:44 PM »

...Have YOU been saved?
To which I respond: "Still working on it, thanks."

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2013, 12:39:54 AM »

I can't imagine ANYBODY calling themselves an "ex-Orthodox" who has some experience with the faith....
This includes me. I'm attached. 

Obviously, I'm here on this forum. Smiley  Wouldn't be here if I wasn't attached somehow.

Feathers get ruffled more by people with Orthodox experience distancing themselves more than a person just trying to poke others.   Web sites that are non-researched are ridiculous.

Somebody once asked if I would make a well written web site with all the issues I have against EO... I bluntly told them "NO".   To their surprise I said "Because I love Orthodoxy and the church is part of me".  "Just because I have some issues of some of the practices does not mean the EO church is graceless and bad, in fact, it's very full of grace and good".    This was a protestant (Lutheran).  (one moment of life when I wish I had a still photo of the look on his face)

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: