OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 04:40:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anti -Orthodox website  (Read 5725 times) Average Rating: 0
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« on: May 24, 2004, 11:13:34 AM »

Very interesting.....just a whole bunch of crap:

http://www.exorthodoxforchrist.com/

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 11:22:04 AM »

I've seen it before.  It's hard for me to believe the people that put that website together are truly FORMER Orthodox people.  Why?  Because they make glaring errors about Orthodoxy, both theologically and liturgically.  For example, they refer to Orthodox using "wafers" for the Holy Eucharist.  Since Orthodox use leavened bread and anyone who is (or was) Orthodox knows that, it tends to make me sceptical of the genuineness of this website.  Errors abound here.  It seems to be, in short, an anti-Catholic website with the word "Catholic" removed and replaced with "Orthodox."  If this intellectual garbage, on the level of a Jack Chick tract, is what we are up against, I doubt it will hurt us at all.  Rather, it hurts those who produce such nonsense.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 11:32:31 AM »

It really amazes me at how poorly done these kinds of websites are.  The best websites are always the ones that are organized simply and logically.  Even the more state-of-the-art websites that incorporate Shockwave animation are organized more or less simply and logically.

But ones like this just bombard you with info so you don't even realize what you're reading anymore.   Anyone who is seriously looking for information about the Orthodox church, even for information to use against Orthodox believers, would discount this site, I think.  It really does look like the ravings of a lunatic.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 12:40:44 PM »

I notice that at the bottom of each subject matter they invite you to respond, with proof, if you disagree.  However, other than a few selected responses there is no section where the responses are listed.  Therefore, no section to debate their claims.

I sent the followin email to them -

Lets see if they will respond.

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 02:10:46 PM »

What a...how can I be charitable...misinformed fellow
CDHealy

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

I'm a philosophy major.

chealy5
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 03:11:03 PM »

One person has sent EX04C a long reply.  It's posted here:

http://mattandjeffdiverge.blogspot.com/2004_04_01_mattandjeffdiverge_archive.html#108325145640573823

Clifton D. Healy
email: chealy5@yahoo.com
blog: http://benedictseraphim.wordpress.com

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--Hamlet,
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 04:55:38 PM »

I've seen it before.  It's hard for me to believe the people that put that website together are truly FORMER Orthodox people.  Why?  Because they make glaring errors about Orthodoxy, both theologically and liturgically.  For example, they refer to Orthodox using "wafers" for the Holy Eucharist.  Since Orthodox use leavened bread and anyone who is (or was) Orthodox knows that, it tends to make me sceptical of the genuineness of this website.  Errors abound here.  It seems to be, in short, an anti-Catholic website with the word "Catholic" removed and replaced with "Orthodox."  If this intellectual garbage, on the level of a Jack Chick tract, is what we are up against, I doubt it will hurt us at all.  Rather, it hurts those who produce such nonsense.

No, It is an anti-orthodox website set up by ex orthodox. You do know that they exist?

Unfortunately, they will reach alot of people.
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 04:59:46 PM »

Yes, this website raised it ugly head some years ago.  I thought at the time it died a slow death.  Oh well.

JoeS   :-";"xx
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 05:11:01 PM »

yes RB, we do know they exist.  However some of the complaints raised against Orthodoxy by this website sound better atributed to the Roman Church than the Orthodox church (for instance the whole wafer for communion bit someone mentioned earlier).

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004, 06:13:16 PM »

Amen Joe!  There were a lot of glaring mistakes and stuff that was flat out wrong.  It makes me wonder how this person could have ever been Orthodox, and been so ignorant of their own Faith.  I mean, a wafer?  C'mon!  And the Orthodox Church only dates back to 1600...okay, sure buddy, you were Orthodox......and then he says:

"The Eastern Orthodox Church denies that man is born with sin." and

"Since the Eastern Orthodox Church denies original sin."

Really?  I just thought that we denied that Adam passed his guilt on to each of us.  Wouldn't an "ex-Orthodox" understand the difference here?

"As such, these teachings negate the need for the death and resurrection of Christ...."

I guess this "ex-Orthodox" person never sat through the Divine Liturgy, let alone any of the Holy Week services.  How strange.

"The Eastern Orthodox Church fosters the impression that the Orthodox Church of American is independent or "auto-encephalitic" (their term - not ours), without disclosing the fact that the Orthodox Church of America is little more than a rubber-stamp of the Greek Orthodox Church ruled as an Autarchy from Mt. Athos."

This hardly sounds accurate.  I thought that the OCA originally derived from the Russian Church.

"The Eastern Orthodox Church rejects the doctrine of the Priesthood of Believers, and believes that the Priests in its hierarchy stand spiritually on a level which is superior to laymen, giving priests the ability to understand the Bible in ways that Orthodox Church goers cannot understand as a result of their own study of the Bible."

Good thing my Coptic Orthodox priest didn't get the memo!  I'll have to call him and tell him to cancel Bible study this week...Also, someone should let Jaroslav Pelikan and all of the other Orthodox lay-theologians know that this is the case so they can close down their offices.  And speaking of scholarship...

"Both of these comprise the oldest copies of the Septuagint. Again, we must make the point that it is hard to understand how the Eastern Orthodox Church can claim to value the Septuagint and base its theology on the Septuagint- if it cannot even find 3 copies that agree with each other.

{Contrast this with the Greek Textus Receptus, which accords with more than 95% of all Bible Manuscripts found to date, in all countries}."

Seems to be a bit of pseudo-scholarship going on here.

"The Eastern Orthodox Church Hierarchy is constantly taking increasing steps to find reconciliation with the Roman Catholic Hierarchy, in meetings and gatherings designed to validate counterfeit claims of legitimacy that do not withstand historical scrutiny."

Its a masonic conspiracy I tells ya!

Did you check the recommended book list?  Most of them are attacks on the RCC!  "ex-Orthodox" indeed.  I remain unconvinced.  Of course I'm aware that "they do exist", but in light of the above mentioned evidence, it's going to take some doing to convince me that this is the genuine article.

This site would not have an impact on anyone who knew much about Orthodoxy.  Maybe it would serve to scare away people who knew little about the Church and were curious.  Too bad.  Maybe one of the mods should invite the webmaster here to discuss their allegations openly in a format they cannot control, where they cannot decide who sees what responses are made to their allegations.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 06:20:04 PM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2004, 06:14:13 PM »

yes RB, we do know they exist.  However some of the complaints raised against Orthodoxy by this website sound better atributed to the Roman Church than the Orthodox church (for instance the whole wafer for communion bit someone mentioned earlier).

Joe Zollars

If it was attributed to the roman catholic church then explain why it says " ex orthodox for christ and goes on to orthodox beliefs and practices?"

Believe me if it was address to roman catholics it would say so. well, you knew this. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 06:15:04 PM by romanbyzantium » Logged
theodore

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2004, 06:16:48 PM »

No, It is an anti-orthodox website set up by ex orthodox. You do know that they exist?

Unfortunately, they will reach alot of people.
I'm skeptical about whether the person who has this website registered:

twila hopkins
7931 s. Broadway
denver, Colorado 80122
United States

was ever Orthodox.  There are far too many errors which anyone who has had even a rudimentary experience with Orthodoxy would know better.  It is remotely possible that the individual(s) involved in this site may have been baptised but not raised Orthodox, but it's more likely just another Protestant smear site.
theodore

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2004, 06:17:39 PM »

If it was attributed to the roman catholic church then explain why it says " ex orthodox for christ and goes on to orthodox beliefs and practices?"

Believe me if it was address to roman catholics it would say so. well, you knew this. Smiley
Do you believe everything you read on the Internet?  You mean those nice Protestants could be lying?  Perish the thought.
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2004, 06:25:53 PM »

Do you believe everything you read on the Internet?  You mean those nice Protestants could be lying?  Perish the thought.

Just because you don't like what they are writing doesn't mean that they were not orthodox.

Remember, most of the anti catholics site are put forth by fomer catholics.
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2004, 06:29:53 PM »

Because many people who are ignorant of the Orthodox Faith, see the icons and hear the Liturgy and ASSUME that it is just like the CATHOLIC Church.

DUH!

I thought the SAME thing the first time I visited a Greek Orthodox Cathedral with my then fiance.

Your problem is your perspective. You expect Protestants to see Orthodoxy through your Catholic eyes, and it just is NOT that way. Protestants RELATE Orthodoxy to Catholocism. Because at first blush it LOOKS similar.

You seem to not understand that or have a problem of disassociating yourself from YOUR past and seeing things from anothers perspective.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 06:36:21 PM by Tom+ú » Logged
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2004, 06:47:44 PM »

Because many people who are ignorant of the Orthodox Faith, see the icons and hear the Liturgy and ASSUME that it is just like the CATHOLIC Church.

DUH!

I thought the SAME thing the first time I visited a Greek Orthodox Cathedral with my then fiance.

Your problem is your perspective. You expect Protestants to see Orthodoxy through your Catholic eyes, and it just is NOT that way. Protestants RELATE Orthodoxy to Catholocism. Because at first blush it LOOKS similar.

You seem to not understand that or have a problem of disassociating yourself from YOUR past and seeing things from anothers perspective.

It was created by ex orthodox. That it is why it is called Ex orthodox for christ. There is one already called ex catholic for christ. Smiley

why are you guys bringing in catholicism?
icxn
Elder

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2004, 06:47:46 PM »

What saddens me is that the pages have creation/modification date: 5/24/2004GǪ
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 06:50:27 PM by icxn » Logged
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2004, 06:50:37 PM »

What saddens me is that the pages have creation/modification date: 5/24/2004GǪ Ben was very quick in finding them...Huh

It says updated may 24, 2004.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2004, 06:52:58 PM »

It was created by ex orthodox.

DUDE! These people were NEVER Orthodox. Otherwise, they would have done a better job of it.
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2004, 06:54:25 PM »

DUDE! These people were NEVER Orthodox. Otherwise, they would have done a better job of it.

Sure Tom  Wink and the ex catholic that put up their websites were never REALLY catholic Wink

They do a bad job at representing their former faith but catholic they were.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 06:55:06 PM by romanbyzantium » Logged
icxn
Elder

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2004, 06:54:29 PM »

I guess it is too late... next time keep your mouth shut yellow creature (that 's me).

Forgive me Ben!
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2004, 06:58:22 PM »

Sure Tom  Wink and the ex catholic that put up their websites were never REALLY catholic Wink

RB,

NO Orthodox Church uses wafers. I mean, this is BASIC. ANYONE who has even attended an Orthodox Liturgy can plainly see that a COMMOM SPOON is used to administer the Holy Sacrament.

Rub the RC scales from your eyes and your brain and try to see the TRUTH.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 06:59:29 PM by Tom+ú » Logged
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2004, 07:00:31 PM »

RB,

NO Orthodox Church uses wafers. I mean, this is BASIC. ANYONE who has even attended an Orthodox Liturgy can plainly see that a COMMOM SPOON is used to administer the Holy Sacrament.

Rub the RC scales from your eyes and your brain and try to see the TRUTH.

perhaps you should rub yours. It says wafer/bread.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2004, 07:02:53 PM »

Wafer would never even be referenced if they were ex-Orthodox.

It's pretty obvious that they are ex RC trying to "kill 2 birds with 1 stone"
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 07:04:05 PM by Tom+ú » Logged
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2004, 07:09:48 PM »

Wafer would never even be referenced if they were ex-Orthodox.

It's pretty obvious that they are ex RC trying to "kill 2 birds with 1 stone"

Actually, we were all wrong. They are protestants trying to expose orthodoxy as a false religion. read this. http://www.exorthodoxforchrist.com/profile.htm

The title was misleading.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2004, 07:16:35 PM »

Bastards!

I sent them an email that said "Then you are Liars. As "Christians" how can you justify that?"

« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 07:42:30 PM by Tom+ú » Logged
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2004, 07:43:02 PM »

No it was not an attack againt Romans per se, but what it said applies better to Romans than it does to Orthodox.  Look at Antoinois Nikolas' post.  This guy seems to have never been to an Orthodox Church, or he would actually know something about Orthodoxy.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2004, 07:48:44 PM »

RB:  Think about it.  They talk about how Orthdox use wafers for communion.  Obviously they aren't Orthodox and never were.  It not just that they get the internal aspects of the faith wrong, they get the externals wrong too.  It is obvious these people have never seen communion distributed at an Orthodox Liturgy

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2004, 07:50:16 PM »

ugh!  they are just plain crazies.  Probably born somewhere above the Mason Dixon line Wink

Joe Zollars

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2004, 07:55:39 PM »

And again, as someone else pointed out, they refer to many anti RCC books out there to debunk Orthdoxy.   :cwm12:
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2004, 08:06:11 PM »

And again, as someone else pointed out, they refer to many anti RCC books out there to debunk Orthdoxy.   :cwm12:

elisha everything on their sites has to do with orthodoxy. except the wafer part. there are things in there that I have never heard of such as theosis.
David
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2004, 11:51:22 PM »

I'm just glad several of our IT-saavy members are too mature to do something like hack their site.  That would be in very bad taste.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2004, 11:53:22 PM »

elisha everything on their sites has to do with orthodoxy. except the wafer part. there are things in there that I have never heard of such as theosis.
You've never heard of theosis?
Sadly, you've learned little here, that much is certain.
Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2004, 12:22:35 AM »

You've never heard of theosis?
Sadly, you've learned little here, that much is certain.
Demetri

Sorry to dissapoint you. Where exactly did you guys get theosis from?
Trolling. User is warned for 1 week. If disputed please contact admin.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2004, 05:15:21 AM »

I'm just glad several of our IT-saavy members are too mature to do something like hack their site.  That would be in very bad taste.  
Could be fun though. Bobby?

Just kidding Wink though one wonders why you even mentioned it David? +ò+»-â+¦+¦ -Ç++++++-ü-î-é.

John.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2004, 10:10:59 AM »

From Scripture, among other things.

"For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren" (Rom. 8:29).

Theosis is the essence of salvation.

Had God the Word not clothed Himself in humanity (John 1:14) and deified it, there would be no salvation for any of us.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2004, 10:18:04 AM »

As a Roman Catholic, you know what theosis is, just not by that name.  I don't think that the RCC has a label for it, but Catholics have always been called to the perfection of their own lives through prayer, fasting and almsgiving, slowly but surely making their lives conform more perfectly to the will of God.  

The concept of theosis is covered a bit in the Catholic Encyclopedia under Mysticism.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2004, 10:19:45 AM »

As a Roman Catholic, you know what theosis is, just not by that name.  I don't think that the RCC has a label for it, but Catholics have always been called to the perfection of their own lives through prayer, fasting and almsgiving, slowly but surely making their lives conform more perfectly to the will of God.  

The concept of theosis is covered a bit in the Catholic Encyclopedia under Mysticism.

Good post, Schultz.

I also think I read something about it in the CCC. I'll have to look it up again and post it.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2004, 12:17:34 PM »

So, nobody ever lies?

LOL
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2004, 12:26:44 PM »

Go to the site, click on New Books, then click on Books on the Early Church.  Three of the books listed talk about:  debunking Transubstantiation (a RCC doctrine), a book called "Difficulties of Roman Catholicism" and then other books on Worshiping Mary (yes, we both now that Roman Catholics don't worship her) and Justification (another RCC doctrine).

We're not saying that the site is "lying" about being against Orthodox, just that it has the appearance of being more against the RCC than Eastern Orthodoxy.  Most of the RCs on this board agree!
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2004, 12:30:54 PM »

What some of us are saying is that the person(s) behind that website show evidence of either never having been Orthodox, or at least never having attended services past the age of 2 or 3.
theodore

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2004, 01:53:57 PM »

ugh!  they are just plain crazies.  Probably born somewhere above the Mason Dixon line Wink

Joe Zollars
The person who registered the site, Twila Hopkins (kinda sounds southern eh?), gave a Colorado address.  Sorry to inform you however, but  the site is hosted SOUTH of the Mason-Dixon Line by Ark Web Ministries, in the cosmopolitan metropolis of Jonesborough, Tennessee.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2004, 02:18:06 PM »

stinkin carpetbaggers Tongue

Joe Zollars

ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2004, 02:34:29 PM »

Whoever wrote this site has either never spoken to a priest, or basicly can't understand basic English.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
timotheou

OC.net

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2004, 03:16:33 PM »

I would say that unfortunately a great many people who were raised Orthodox know next-to-nothing about Orthodoxy, but anyone raised Orthodox could think we use wafers does boggle the mind... ;-) unless, of course, one was raised Armenian?
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: