OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 05:06:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gift for a monk  (Read 971 times) Average Rating: 0
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« on: April 14, 2011, 11:23:35 AM »

Does anyone have any suggestions for a small, easily shipped present/gift that could be sent to a monastic living in another country (Australia)?  A monk friend of our parish was elevated to the schema and we'd like to send a congratulations card and I thought it might be nice to include a gift of some kind.   The obvious one is $$$ but had hoped for something a little more personal. 

Thanks

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 11:51:45 AM »

Well, as a monk, I am assuming he would shun most material things. 

Could you send him a "special" prayer rope? 

A prayer card of a special saint (either his patron Saint, or yours) that he could use to mark the pages in his liturgical books? 

What about a really pretty wind chime that could be hung in the monastery gardens?  They have some lovely and religious windchimes with crosses at the top.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 01:09:10 PM »

A bottle of wine he can share at dinner?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 01:09:29 PM by sainthieu » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:18:49 PM »

Tea from the Vashon Monks. http://www.vashonmonks.com/

I would include a small ceramic teapot and a couple tea cups as well. It is a small monastery so you could contact them personally to make a little gift set I am sure. Tea is something that is quite relaxing/enjoyable for personal use or to share with friends.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 07:23:19 PM by Quinault » Logged
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 12:41:46 AM »

All really excellent suggestions, thanks!  I'm inclined on the tea or coffee idea, though I need to find out what is and is not allowed to be mailed to Australia. 

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 02:54:35 AM »

All really excellent suggestions, thanks!  I'm inclined on the tea or coffee idea, though I need to find out what is and is not allowed to be mailed to Australia. 

You could try ordering from a store within Australia and having them ship it directly to your recipient.  That way you wouldn't have to worry about customs.

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: