OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 11:50:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vestment prices  (Read 3180 times) Average Rating: 0
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: April 13, 2011, 09:37:01 PM »

Fathers, any new deacons and priests, do you know what reasonable prices for vestments are?
How much would deacon's vestments cost?
How much would anteri/exorassa cost?
How much would priests vestments cost?
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 10:08:13 PM »

How much?
A lot. There is no way around it unless you have someone that donates them to you.  The cassock material isn't too expensive.  However the vestment materials are extremely expensive since they should be made with super high quality material.  Most vestments last for a very long time with proper care. 
You don't need to have all the colours of the vestments at first.  Black would be nice to have but it's only for Great Friday.  Red, while a great colour isn't always a greatly used one and can be substituted with white.
So I'd get
gold
white
purple
then
green
followed by
blue
then red

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 10:11:43 PM »

Many clergy from Readers, subdeacons, deacons and priests don't have all the colours of vestments.  Some of the bishops I know don't start out their episcopacy with all the colours either, one I knew used the previous bishop's mantilla.  I knew another bishop who used his predecessor's mitre and vestments for a long while until he got his own. 
There are great vestment makers both here in North America and in Europe that we can all point you towards.  I have an acquaintance who makes great vestments if you are serious I can see if I can arrange for you two to communicate.

mildert
Deacon Philip

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe - Exarchate of the Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 03:36:25 AM »

Vestment colours depend where you serve. For example some Churches use black for all week day services in the Great Fast. 
In my Church we tend to use Red for the fast periods, so Gold and Red are the most popular colours followed by White.  I would suggest first to discuss with your Priest before you make any purchases, otherwise you may buy an expensive vestment that you only wear once or twice a year.

In XC,

Deacon Philip

How much?
A lot. There is no way around it unless you have someone that donates them to you.  The cassock material isn't too expensive.  However the vestment materials are extremely expensive since they should be made with super high quality material.  Most vestments last for a very long time with proper care. 
You don't need to have all the colours of the vestments at first.  Black would be nice to have but it's only for Great Friday.  Red, while a great colour isn't always a greatly used one and can be substituted with white.
So I'd get
gold
white
purple
then
green
followed by
blue
then red

In XC,

Deacon Philip
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 07:20:49 AM »

Many clergy from Readers, subdeacons, deacons and priests don't have all the colours of vestments.  Some of the bishops I know don't start out their episcopacy with all the colours either, one I knew used the previous bishop's mantilla.  I knew another bishop who used his predecessor's mitre and vestments for a long while until he got his own. 
There are great vestment makers both here in North America and in Europe that we can all point you towards.  I have an acquaintance who makes great vestments if you are serious I can see if I can arrange for you two to communicate.
I'd be interested to know who you recommend for Russian style vestments and who ship overseas.

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 07:24:31 AM »

There are great vestment makers both here in North America and in Europe that we can all point you towards.

http://monasterymadevestments.blogspot.com - Eastern and Western rite vestments in reasonable prices made by an Orthodox Christian (currently, he is preparing a set of WR vestments for Bishop Jerome of Manhatan).
mildert
Deacon Philip

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe - Exarchate of the Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »

I'd be interested to know who you recommend for Russian style vestments and who ship overseas.

I would also be interested in who you would recommend - although living in Europe, overseas has a different destination...

In XC,

Deacon Philip

In XC,

Deacon Philip
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 09:29:03 AM »

Our parish priest is pretty new and so far he only has white and purple.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
ilyazhito
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 10:40:35 PM »

What would I need for Russian practice vs. Greek (antiochian/GOA/ACROD) practice
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 03:21:25 AM »

What would I need for Russian practice vs. Greek (antiochian/GOA/ACROD) practice
You would need to go to seminary first and, then be of an acceptable age for ordination before you start concerning yourself with what kind of vestments you need.

Joseph
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 07:30:23 AM »

I guess that the ACROD, although under the EP, is closer in practice to Russians then to Greeks.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 07:30:58 AM by Michał » Logged
ilyazhito
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 10:07:06 PM »

You would need to go to seminary first and, then be of an acceptable age for ordination before you start concerning yourself with what kind of vestments you need.
I understand, arimethea. I'm just interested to know what options there are.
mildert
Deacon Philip

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 06:49:54 AM »

There are many different colours of vestments, and there is a huge range in the cost of them.  What is appropriate depends on the Church itself - how often there are services, size of the building, etc, etc. 

Often a Deacon or Priest will start with 1 or 2 cassocks, 1 riassa, and a light (gold) and a dark (red or purple) set of vestments.  Over time this may increase.

In XC,

Deacon Philip

In XC,

Deacon Philip
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 08:02:14 AM »

Vestment colours depend where you serve. For example some Churches use black for all week day services in the Great Fast. 
In my Church we tend to use Red for the fast periods, so Gold and Red are the most popular colours followed by White.  I would suggest first to discuss with your Priest before you make any purchases, otherwise you may buy an expensive vestment that you only wear once or twice a year.

And, of course, it depends on liturgical traditions too.  Black vestments are foreign to the Greek tradition, for example - even though we insist on wearing black cassocks and the like, there are a number of Greek clergy and hierarchs who have commented that black is a completely inappropriate color for vestments, and I've seen in a few rubric-oriented books that Greek clergy should never own or wear black vestments.

Besides the point of, "Make sure you need them before you think of them," there is also a thought that your preparation time would be better spent on other pursuits - studying liturgics, patristics, building your spiritual life, etc.  We're not implying that you haven't done it, but we're just reinforcing that vestment selection and price are at the bottom of the "I should worry about this before ordination" list.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ilyazhito
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 09:37:24 PM »

Ok. Fr. George, I understand. In school, there is a belief that if one is to ask a question, the answer would work for others who ask the same question. I didn't know if such a topic existed, so I wanted to make it. This would allow 25- year old young men who are closer to ordination than me to get info.
Margaret S.

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 02:11:00 AM »

There are great vestment makers both here in North America and in Europe that we can all point you towards.

http://monasterymadevestments.blogspot.com - Eastern and Western rite vestments in reasonable prices made by an Orthodox Christian (currently, he is preparing a set of WR vestments for Bishop Jerome of Manhatan).

Speaking as someone who has made a few sets of vestments in her time I can say that the vestments he's making for Bp Jerome are absolutely beautiful as is the rest of his work. He's also very motivated and conscientious and goes to great lengths to find what he thinks is the perfect fabric.

Sr Margaret
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 11:02:28 AM »

vestments are quite expensive.  the priest at my Church has about 5 different colors.  they can't afford  new vestments for s lowly altar servers, so we are all wearing green year-round.  and mine is torn up the side, and I'm in the process of mending it. 

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
ilyazhito
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 10:16:40 PM »

Whoa, this is rough. Do they have vestment-makers of their own?
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 10:21:01 PM »

vestments are quite expensive.  the priest at my Church has about 5 different colors.  they can't afford  new vestments for s lowly altar servers, so we are all wearing green year-round.  and mine is torn up the side, and I'm in the process of mending it.

Green is my least-favourite vestment colour. It appears to clash with everything.

I'd ask your priest if you could go with white or gold next time! (but that's just me).

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 10:46:07 PM »

Green is my least-favourite vestment colour. It appears to clash with everything.

I'd ask your priest if you could go with white or gold next time! (but that's just me).

believe me, mine too!  we look like Orthodox leprichauns.  and our poor reader/altar server has to wear part of the vestment from when we had a deacon.  he removed the strip of fabric, and just wears the gold vestment part.  God, help us!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 10:53:32 AM »

believe me, mine too!  we look like Orthodox leprichauns.  and our poor reader/altar server has to wear part of the vestment from when we had a deacon.  he removed the strip of fabric, and just wears the gold vestment part.  God, help us!

Don't feel bad, I am in a large parish, always with about twenty altar servers who share in the duties, but all participate in the big events. We only have white with gold trim for them, but I agree with you about green.

By the way, I can't get the image of Orthodox leprechauns out of my head. Thanks a lot! lol
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 09:39:19 PM »

I wear a green sticharion and I like it. If I had red hair, I probably could pass as a leprechaun.  Cheesy

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 11:10:08 PM »

Since the vestment maker I use does not use the internet and does business only in person, I thought I would share with you a vestment maker whose vestments I have been very impressed with. I have seen their work close up and it is excellent. Take a look at http://www.riza.rs/riza_engine.swf they look even better close up.

Joseph
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 11:18:26 PM »

Since the vestment maker I use does not use the internet and does business only in person, I thought I would share with you a vestment maker whose vestments I have been very impressed with. I have seen their work close up and it is excellent. Take a look at http://www.riza.rs/riza_engine.swf they look even better close up.
Absolutely beautiful! I'm sure it would cost a pretty penny, but it would no doubt be worth it. Thank you for sharing.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
mildert
Deacon Philip

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 02:37:58 AM »

I wear a green sticharion and I like it. If I had red hair, I probably could pass as a leprechaun.  Cheesy

In Christ,
Andrew

I used to serve for a priest who loved green, so one year we used it all the way from Pentecost through to the Nativity fast. 

In XC,

Deacon Philip

In XC,

Deacon Philip
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2014, 01:13:31 AM »

Go to this site http://www.dowama.org/content/other-information

click on liturgical colors and you can download a pdf chart on the colors used according to Antiochian practice.

Fr. John W. Morris
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: