OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 05:58:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayers that are NOT to be read...  (Read 1746 times) Average Rating: 0
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« on: April 13, 2011, 04:07:33 PM »

Last weekend a woman I know lent a prayer book to another woman, but, as she handed it to her, she instructed the receiver to be very careful...for there were prayers in the book that are NOT to be read.

Then she looks at me and says "Right, Liza?  Like the prayer of St. Cyprian. If you read it you will attract demons to you."  Thankfully, she didn't wait for my response as she continued chattering away.

This led me to research St. Cyprian, and I realize he was a magician and dealt with demons prior to his conversion.

So, this leads to my question...is that true?  I realize that living a godly life will always attract demons because they want you to mess up...and they will tempt you at every turn.

However, if a prayer is written in a prayer book, should you 'not' read it?  If so, why is it even written down in the prayer book for laypeople?  Why take the chance of having someone unwittingly read it, and attract evil to themselves?

I had never heard of such a thing and was wondering if anyone else has?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 04:11:02 PM »

I suppose if you pray anything sincerely to God, you'll attract evil to yourself, since the evil one and his minions don't want you to pray and will try to derail you. That may explain why we struggle so much against the Purple Demons this time of year.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 04:16:01 PM »

I'd be interested to know what prayer book it was, and the text of the prayer. There are, to my knowledge, no approved Orthodox prayers that should not be read, granted there are prayers which should be read only by priests or bishops. There are, however, prayers of dubious origin, which are not fit for reading silently or aloud. I'm reminded of when St. Moses of Optina was given a nicely-bound book containing an "Akathist to God the Father." He ordered that it be burned, without even opening it to read it, since the Orthodox Church does not have an akathist to God the Father.

Some people sadly use prayers like magic spells. They lack faith. So, when they pray even a prayer of a saint, the demons do not flee.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 04:18:43 PM »

I have never heard of such a thing!

Why even bother to print a prayer that no one is supposed to read or pray?  Tongue

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 04:30:38 PM »

I didn't see anything that stuck out as wrong with the text of the prayer after a Google search, however just about all the references I found were from folks mixing paganism with Christianity, wanting to use the prayer against the evil eye and witchcraft, while the actual text of the prayer mentions neither. I'm not certain that the prayer is even of St. Cyprian now, I'll have to check, if I can. It is a Western prayer. It may be Orthodox. It may even be of St. Cyprian. But it is probably not of St. Cyprian of Antioch (the former sorcerer), but of St. Cyprian of Carthage, the martyr.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 12:48:54 AM »

I've heard of prayers to St. Cyprian (the former sorcerer) but not of the same St. Cyprian. 

This page contains some Catholic prayers to St. Cyprian: http://ojinaga.com/cipriano/
They don't look too dangerous to me. 

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 01:47:20 AM »

Sorry, but sounds pretty superstitious to me...
Dimitrios-Georgios

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Saints Dimitrios and Georgios

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 04:52:59 AM »

From what I know, correct me if I'm wrong, St Cyprian's prayers are used in exorcisms by the Orthodox Church. Since only a priest can perform an exorcism, maybe is that what the woman said?
ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 05:34:06 AM »

Hello!

There are some prayers that need proper preparation, like fasting and so. I don't know what the prayers you mention actually say, but if they contain curses directed against the devil, they shouldn't be read without blessing. The reason is that you would be engaging in a spiritual battle you are not prepared to fight.

God bless!

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 02:00:59 PM »

"O Lord, let me be chaste, but not yet" or "Lord forgive me for what I am about to do" are ones that should probably be avoided.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 03:38:34 PM »

"O Lord, let me be chaste, but not yet" or "Lord forgive me for what I am about to do" are ones that should probably be avoided.
Cheesy
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 04:24:18 PM »

"O Lord, guide this cinderblock." Homer Simpson

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 05:04:40 PM »

So this is probably unacceptable?

"May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping." - Irish blessing

Cheesy

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 05:17:50 PM »

"O Lord, bless this Thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch with which to blast Thine enemies into tiny pieces in Thy mercy..."

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 05:27:23 PM »

See, I can totally understand where this woman is coming from. I skip prayers labeled "Morning Prayers" and "Evening Prayers" all the time.  Tongue Seriously though... what others have said... including: "Why even bother to print a prayer that no one is supposed to read or pray?"

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 06:07:13 PM »

Why would anyone print a book with prayers you're not supposed to use? To trick yo into using them? What's the point?

Proverbs 22:7
quietmorning
QuietMorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 06:38:22 PM »

I'm wondering if she was playing a tease on a . . .newbie?  I wonder what prayers she would point out?  Maybe ask her? 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 06:52:15 PM »

Well...it wasn't a newbie whom she was giving it to.  It was a rather thick book...and she grabbed her by the wrist and made sure she had her attention...when she stated that some prayers in there are NOT to be read....ie. St. Cyprian.

I also think it odd to print them, if they are to be avoided.

Just asking for trouble.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 07:01:52 PM »

Well...it wasn't a newbie whom she was giving it to.  It was a rather thick book...and she grabbed her by the wrist and made sure she had her attention...when she stated that some prayers in there are NOT to be read....ie. St. Cyprian.

I also think it odd to print them, if they are to be avoided.

Just asking for trouble.

This whole thing REEKS of yia-yia-ology.  While we do need to be careful, because intense prayer of the heart does bring upon more attacks by the devil, etc.  the whole POINT of prayer is to achieve union with God.  Otherwise, it is not a prayer, and something else. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 07:09:58 PM »

I wonder if the prayer is meant to be 'said' to yourself, i.e. thought, rather than chanting or reciting. Monastics spend a lot of time in silent prayer, and if the prayer was written by a saint, it could be related to that. Just a guess on my part.  Huh

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 09:10:16 AM »

"O Lord, bless this Thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch with which to blast Thine enemies into tiny pieces in Thy mercy..."

I know what you are saying is funny, but the EO did partially participate in the crusades.  I'm sure prayers like this were common.

Not an attack, but to show how prayer can be misguided backed in propaganda. 

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 09:17:05 PM »

I wonder if she handed the other lady a "Book of Needs" which does contain prayers that should not be said by a layman.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 09:54:48 AM »

I know what you are saying is funny, but the EO did partially participate in the crusades.  I'm sure prayers like this were common.

Not an attack, but to show how prayer can be misguided backed in propaganda. 

You might want to qualify this statement. There were potentially more Eastern Christians killed as a result of Crusades than Muslims.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: