OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 12:01:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What kind of religious fruit did you know people bring and where impressed by it  (Read 547 times) Average Rating: 0
pasadi97
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: July 30, 2011, 11:13:41 AM »

So we know that baptism opens the doors to Heaven John 3:3 John 3:5.
We know that Holy Communion John 6:53-54 that Protestantism renounced brings eternal life.

Anyhow we are required to bring fruit to show our faith. In Orthodox Christianity saying what you did can be considered boasting so the results can be lost.

This is why I am asking what kind of fruit did you see people in your life bring, fruits that edid impress you?

Like for example my grandparents would call an elderly house and bring food packages to them.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 02:10:48 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Excuse my language (though in truth this choice of wording is even in the KJV) but religion is not some kind of urinating contest Sad

We do not compete for fruits, neither do we over analyze the search for the fruits of others, its as Jesus Christ told us, better to be concerned with the beams in our own eyes and the quality of our own fruits.  That being said, what we in Orthodox do traditionally to feel out a parish or communion or priest or jurisdiction or any such demarcation is we examine how much fruit these put in ourselves.

For example, at my own parish I don't judge it to be Godly because of the necessarily obvious Godliness and piety of the other parishioners.  Further I don't judge their level of commitment to charity or kind-hearted giving as a criteria for "fruits of God" and sincere legitimacy.  Sure, these things help and go a long way, but these are not why we go Orthodox.  Secular organizations and vitriolic atheists even produce these sames kinds of "fruits" in altruistic giving and charitable efforts. Rather in the Orthodox, we examine how much spiritual fruit being at a parish or with a group or under a particular clergy produced within ourselves and our own individual or family efforts.  If the Church has us producing Fruits, then it is good enough, and surely also others will be bountiful in such fertile grounds planted beside ourselves.

Yes, the Apostle James explained that "a ritual clean and undefiled with God the Father is this: to be visiting the bereaved and widowed in their affliction" however without inward spiritual fruits produced in the Grace of God, how can ones be in any way able to assist others in need? So first things first, we must be in Churches which clean out our inner glass and produce in ourselves inner fruits of God that we might further blossom outwards in good works and repentance.  This is Faith and Works operating together, the Faith is within the Church, and the works are a natural reflex action of those who of any denomination or jurisdiction produce deep within themselves the good spiritual fruits of the Spirit.

I have seen good charitable fruits in a lot of places, and I also admire and respect a lot of Protestants for their charitable efforts, but this alone is not Godliness.  Further, note that while many criticize (and rightfully so) many of the controversies within the Catholic Church or even the Orthodox, the Catholic Church is the world's single largest source of charity through food assistance, education, and hospitals across America and across the world, so by a shallower definition of "fruits" I dare say they qualify.  Of course, I think many Catholics here would agree that the spiritual fruits and healings within their own lives are why they are Catholic, and those charities are just the fringe benefits of being in a fruitful communion.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Despite your best attempt to warn us and inform us of how your wording is exactly as found in the KJV, you weren't quoting the KJV. The wording you chose was therefore inappropriately vulgar for the Public Forum, so it has been replaced by something more genteel.

- PtA
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 02:55:42 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 02:14:11 PM »

I can't bring up things I, myself have done. I think pasadi is right about that. Over the years, however, I've met many people who showed me 'the Christian spirit,' because they were peaceful, generous and so forth. Some of them have been from my own church, but there are certainly plenty of examples from outside of it.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
lost
Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 02:19:21 PM »

Our Orthodoxy can become more false and hypocrital than that of our brothers, the Jews, whom Christ rebuked... Orthodox formalism and phariseism can overcome that of the Jews in Jesus' time.Church people tend to get like this.. They get so stuck in Church things and formalities that they neglect the most important part, mercy, love and compassion.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 02:26:34 PM »

Nuts never fail to impress people.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 02:48:01 PM »

What do you mean by that?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 03:05:29 PM »

Is that sour grapes making whine?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 03:55:13 PM »

Just when you think augustin might pull a clever RC jab punning on fruit . . . He does you in with a hook you didn't see coming.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 03:58:02 PM »

Is that sour grapes making whine?

This round goes to augustin.

Sorry ialmisry, your refined ability to rip people to bits aside, he is the king of the one-liners around here. Asterix, or whatever his name is, comes close.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 04:00:42 PM »

Pasadi,

Nice thread. I hope to contribute because alotta people were incredibly generous to me when they had truly NO reason to be so and change my heart toward Christians in general and the possibility of a God.

Depending on how the tone of this thread goes, I might share an anecdote.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 04:06:05 PM »

ROFL.

Post of the month easily.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 04:06:21 PM by Aposphet » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 04:16:38 PM »

What do you mean by that?

haha....  *_*

only at Christmas or if your on a pub crawl
pasadi97