OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 04:01:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Are you attending (will you attend) liturgical services less because of gas prices?
Yes, including holy week services - 5 (11.6%)
Yes, but not including holy week services - 2 (4.7%)
Not yet, but I am considering it - 2 (4.7%)
It doesn't effect the Liturgies I attend, but I cut back on vespers etc. - 6 (14%)
No - 28 (65.1%)
Total Voters: 43

Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you attending liturgical services less because of gas prices?  (Read 3521 times) Average Rating: 0
Veronika

Faith: Traditional Catholic/SSPX

« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2011, 10:42:51 PM »

The only thing I have really cut so far are play dates and park trips. Fortunately my husband gets free bus passes from work and now that the weather is nicer he can take the bus to work more often. Our church has really been hurt by a reduction in tithes over the last year so we have tried to cut some big expenses and give extra but on a single income with kids it isn't that much.
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2011, 10:49:48 PM »

I can tell you what has really been impacted financially is my tithing.  That has been cut by more than half.  Mostly due to the fact my husband has been out of work for 2 years.

I know what you mean. Hopefully Our Lord accepts gasoline as a sacrificial offering...
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2011, 12:46:26 AM »

What % of folks live within 5 miles? And what percent within 20?

10ish from home. 6ish from work.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2011, 12:47:30 AM »

When you live where you work and where you have community these problems don't become as difficult. Unfortunately, this ain't most of America.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2011, 12:50:52 AM »

Is the The Holy Orthodox Church considering getting a couple of shuttle buses,so they can start busing the faithful in.....

I noticed everywhere i go Protestant Church buses ,van's, with all different types of names of there churches posted on the side.......

I want to see a Orthodox Church Bus that say's ,
Grace Filled St. Simeon Eastern Orthodox Church of the Full Gospel ........ Grin

YES !!!!!  I've wondered about that too.. Why do they have Vans and we dont ?

St. Herman of Alaska Orthodox Church "Full Gospel"

Love I T.

Learned this in AA: never go to a meeting alone.

I try not to attend any parish function alone. You actually get to know folks as well.

TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2011, 01:24:42 AM »

I'm 10 minutes from church and 20-25 minutes from work. Thing is, my parish pulls from a very wide area. Part of our area has no Orthodox parishes and part has no entirely English-speaking parishes within a reasonable drive. Some of our people are cutting back, but these are the folks with at least a 30 minute drive. They also are the ones with the least fuel efficient vehicles (large SUVs and large sedans)

I drive a fuel efficient compact car and a tank of gas can last me for two weeks.

I know Orthodox who are married to non-Orthodox Christians and are having big discussions over the gas budget, especially about the Orthodox going to church more than once a week.
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2011, 01:32:42 AM »

About carpooling...

In my area, there are lots of special services during Lent, ones that are shared by different parishes - Sunday evening Vespers and the like. I know people who were specifically told by people that they could have a ride anytime. All they had to do was meet up with the person driving at church - maybe 15 minute drive. The people offered rides never took advantage of them, and then complained and complained they couldn't go to X service because it cost too much to drive.

I don't get people sometimes!
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2011, 09:18:34 AM »

We do have some parishioners that drive two hours (one way), and many who drive one hour (one way) to get to church.  By the way, they are not skipping other parishes to come to ours.  The entire state of Montana (which is huge) only has 4 Orthodox churches with priests (Billings, Bozeman, Butte, and Missoula).  People do have to travel long distances to even get to an Orthodox parish.  Until the Greek parish in Missoula got a priest, the Serbian priest in Butte was serving the entire Western part of the state and was serving the OCA mission in Helena, the Greek parish in Missoula, and starting a mission in Kalispell.  Look at a map to see the distances that he was covering in a month.  He still serves the OCA mission in Helena and the mission in Kalispell.  I thank God for the priests and the parishes we do have.
Tags: gas prices 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: