OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 03:12:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Hymnal?  (Read 430 times) Average Rating: 0
Timon
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: December 07, 2012, 10:39:53 AM »

Is there such thing as an Orthodox Hymnal? Kinda like the baptist folk have?  I love reading hymns because they are loaded with the Churches theology, but Id love to have them all, or a lot of them anyway, in book form.  Does this exist?  I figured it has some odd greek name that I cant pronounce.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 11:03:45 AM »

There are only liturgical books. Well, there are some releases of e.g troparions and kontakions for 12 Great Feasts or hymns of the Holy Week in one book, but as our services are made up of hymns, creating an Orthodox Hymnal as Roman Catholics or Protestants have is impossible.

As for Orthodox paraliturgical songs, there are such books cotaining them (e.g in Poland Bohohlasnik, in Serbia Duhovna lira)

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 11:14:35 AM »

Thats what i was afraid of as there are just too many hymns.  Id love to get a book of hymns for nativity, holy week, etc and read them during those times.  Maybe I can make that happen!

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 11:18:51 AM »

Thats what i was afraid of as there are just too many hymns.  Id love to get a book of hymns for nativity, holy week, etc and read them during those times.  Maybe I can make that happen!

Look for the Festal Menaion and the Lenten Triodion.

edit: There's a version of the Triodion that the Holy Myrrhbearer's Monastery put together up here.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 11:20:11 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 12:21:25 PM »

I take it what you're looking for is "100 All-Time Favourite Orthodox Hymns" or some such thing? A sampling from the major (and some minor) feasts, drawing from various liturgical traditions, and a mix of liturgical and paraliturgical hymns? Buy one today and get the CD for free (shipping and handling extra)!

If so, it sounds like a great project!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 01:05:09 PM »

As for Orthodox paraliturgical songs, there are such books cotaining them (e.g in Poland Bohohlasnik, in Serbia Duhovna lira)

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 02:03:20 PM »

Why no? I don't mean they should be sung during the Liturgy, but e.g during pilgrimages, some religious meetings why not? And e.g Viruju Hospody from Bohohlasnik is based on the "normal" prayer before the Communion (Receive me today), some Serbians songs are also really deep, rich in spirtual content

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 11:58:06 AM »

My biggest problem with them is that most people are actually more interested in them than in real liturgical music.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: