Author Topic: Summing up  (Read 2709 times)

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
  • Faith: 7 Councils
  • Jurisdiction: First without Equals
Re: Summing up
« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2017, 04:26:06 AM »
There are substantial, well known problems with people not going to confession even annually in the Orthodox church.

With people surely. But what about priests, deacons, and people teaching Orthodoxy in parishes?

As far as the "pray at least once a day" bit, I expect that could be warped because a Catholic priest, who is obliged to pray the divine office, might confuse that with ex tempore prayers for other purposes. 
The original German question is phrased in a way to exclude this.

We also have impious or marginal priests in our churches, for example, priests and bishops who were originally installed by the KGB, Securitate, etc, in order to monitor the church for the Communist regime and who may or may not have developed an authentic faith since then.
I know some of them personally, both in Ukraine and Bulgaria. Both people who started to attend church in Communist times and afterwards. Including priests who were in the KGB (or Bulgarian DS).

While I would disagree with many of their views, I have absolutely no reason to doubt their faith. Yes, they are not great fans of the evil, decadent west and favour a strong, authoritarian state. But in fact their many belief is "symphonia", the harmonious "sounding together" of church and state. They will say communism was basically a good thing, the state taking seriously its task to ensure social quality and preventing a few privileged from stealing the wealth of the country. The only bad thing about communism, they say, is that it rejected the church. That's why they love people politicians who themselves come from the KGB and now have good relations with the church. I am sure you know whom I mean, but this should really be discussed in the Politics Forum.

Back to the topic: All these old Communists in the Orthodox Church are very serious about Orthodox dogma. (According to some, that also worked the other way around, saying Soviet Communism became so dogmatic because of its cultural proximity to Orthodox Christianity).

Whereas I know a lot of RC theologians in the West questioning and relativising the virgin birth, and even the resurrection, old Communist Orthodox are sincerely horrified by this and fail to understand how people can call themselves Christians without holding to basic belief, as defined by the Symbol of the Faith (Niceno-Constantinopolian Creed), which everyone knows by heart since it is sung/recited in every liturgy.