OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 11:59:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: reading in Church...  (Read 839 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: April 11, 2011, 12:31:45 AM »

just opening another can of worms for myself  Cheesy

when people go to confession, I'm asked to read (chant) the psalms outlout.  but just the other night at the akathist and canon to the theotokos, I was asked to.....READ!    it was my biggest fear, but it wasn't so bad.  Father even said that I did a good job, but I need to project my voice more. 

how can I project my voice when I read in Church?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
authio
Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 12:37:41 AM »

I come from a Russian (OCA) parish, and this is what I do.

Our tradition has us chant on the same tone, so pick your conversational pitch and use it.  Then, loosen your tummy, and breathe into it; as you breathe out, your lower diaphram will push your sound out stronger.  Lastly, remember to not crane your neck, and to make sure your mouth is wide open without straining.

All this together should make a Trevor Trumpet.
~Authio

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 12:41:34 AM »

just opening another can of worms for myself  Cheesy

when people go to confession, I'm asked to read (chant) the psalms outlout.  but just the other night at the akathist and canon to the theotokos, I was asked to.....READ!    it was my biggest fear, but it wasn't so bad.  Father even said that I did a good job, but I need to project my voice more.  

how can I project my voice when I read in Church?
Have you taken voice lessons before? The skills I learned from my college voice lessons years ago work very well at helping me project my voice when I chant in church, since the mechanics are no different whether you're chanting or singing. Therefore, I highly recommend voice lessons for anyone who wants to learn how to chant properly. There will most likely be a monetary investment involved, but the instruction you'll receive is well worth the price.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 12:47:49 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 12:46:39 AM »

I come from a Russian (OCA) parish, and this is what I do.

Our tradition has us chant on the same tone, so pick your conversational pitch and use it.  Then, loosen your tummy, and breathe into it; as you breathe out, your lower diaphram will push your sound out stronger.  Lastly, remember to not crane your neck, and to make sure your mouth is wide open without straining.

All this together should make a Trevor Trumpet.
~Authio
Very good advice... You'll take in more air by breathing into your belly than by breathing only into your chest, and the air support you'll give your voice will be more natural and relaxed. The key is to relax, support your tone with your belly, and not try to force your voice with your throat muscles. Once you have that down, good coaching from a voice teacher will help you make your voice more resonant, which is the ultimate key to strong voice projection.
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 01:30:27 AM »

"how can I project my voice when I read in Church?"

What I've usually seen is lack of projection resulting from timidity or inhibition. The answer to that is to speak louder. Say it like you mean it.

If you are self-concious, you are thinking about how you well you are reading and how you appear to others--not about worshipping God; therefore, you're speaking so softly the other parishoners can not hear you, which affects their experience of the service.

When we're worshiping, everything we say is for the greater glory of God; think of it that way. Speak up, mean it, make it count. Concentrate on glorifying God, and forget about yourself.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »

I will be reading for my first time on Wednesday at the Liturgy of the Pre-Sanctified Gifts.  I'll let you know when I find out!  (Conversely, if you find out how to before Wednesday please let me know!!!)

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 09:32:59 PM »

I will be reading for my first time on Wednesday at the Liturgy of the Pre-Sanctified Gifts.  I'll let you know when I find out!  (Conversely, if you find out how to before Wednesday please let me know!!!)

You will do fine.  When I get nervous reading in Church, I just pray to God this prayer: "Lord, I am reading your words to the people.  Use me as you see fit."  Then do the best that you can.  The Pre-Santified is one heck of a way to get your "baptism" in reading, but I have not seen you fail at anything yet that you put your mind into.  And also keep in mind, there is no failure when you have done what you have to the Glory of God.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 11:04:23 PM »

You will do fine.  When I get nervous reading in Church, I just pray to God this prayer: "Lord, I am reading your words to the people.  Use me as you see fit."  Then do the best that you can.  The Pre-Santified is one heck of a way to get your "baptism" in reading, but I have not seen you fail at anything yet that you put your mind into.  And also keep in mind, there is no failure when you have done what you have to the Glory of God.

Thank you.  (And make sure you email me the Prokemena tonight!)

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 11:56:31 PM »

Thank you.  (And make sure you email me the Prokemena tonight!)

Prokimena and Old Testament Readings

Tone 4:

I will be well-pleasing before the Lord in the land of the living.

Reading: Genesis 43:26-31; 45:1-16

Tone 4:

My vows unto the Lord will I pay in the presence of all His people.

Reading: Proverbs 21:23 – 22:4

Make sure that you bring a Bible with you.  The only one at the altar is in Slavonic.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 12:55:33 AM »

Aim your voice to the back of the room.

Proverbs 22:7
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: