OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 04:49:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Hosea Icons  (Read 1613 times) Average Rating: 0
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« on: April 10, 2011, 10:50:45 PM »

I'm thinking of having an icon of the Prophet Hosea painted, as none are for sale anywhere.

I would have his scroll printed in English, but would like to know what quotes previous iconographers chose to use.

I could use some help in translating the following two scrolls:

Thanks for any help available!

-Nicholas

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 11:26:53 PM »

First Icon: St. Cyril-Belozersky Monastery, 1492

Second Icon: Kizhi monastery, 18th Century

This icon may also be of use; it is from Siena, Italy c.a. 1308-1311, and appears relatively "Orthodox"/canonical. In Latin it reads "Ex Egipto Vocavi Filiu Meum" (out of Egypt I have called my Son) from Hosea 11:1.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:27:38 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 02:19:24 AM »

*bump* does anyone know how to translate the two icon scrolls in the OP?

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 02:32:17 AM »

I don't know, but here are a couple of verses from Hosea that I particularly like:

"Sow unto yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the Lord, till He come and rain righteousness upon you." [Hosea 10:12]

"Turn thou to thy God. Keep mercy and judgment and wait on thy God continually." [Hosea 12:6]

Selam
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 02:32:39 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 03:46:09 AM »

I don't know, but here are a couple of verses from Hosea that I particularly like:

"Sow unto yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the Lord, till He come and rain righteousness upon you." [Hosea 10:12]

"Turn thou to thy God. Keep mercy and judgment and wait on thy God continually." [Hosea 12:6]

Selam
Those are both wonderful verses. The former could be a great instruction to those from a protestant perspective seeking to understand the supposed "faith/works" dichotomy in Orthodoxy.

The first icon in my first post appears to be loading slowly or not loading at all sometimes, so I will post it again from a more reliable site.

Tags: Hosea Prophet icon 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: