OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:03:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Post 9-11 Orthodox Discrimation?  (Read 1343 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« on: April 10, 2011, 04:45:17 PM »

Can anyone relate to me if Orthodox Christians in America suffered persecution or discrimination of any sort in the USA after the September 11Th terrorist attacks?  I have heard that many Americans looked on Orthodox priest and churches with suspicion and even confused them with Muslims?

Can anyone tell me if they experienced any misunderstanding or suspicion/fear from the population during that time?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 04:45:39 PM by Robb » Logged

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 05:05:53 PM »

Not that I can remember. Not anything more than you'd probably have from boneheads anyway. I was attending an Antiochian Church at the time, and remember worrying about the safety of my fellow parishioners. But I don't recall much at all as far as discimination taking place.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 05:19:54 PM »

I hated the post 9-11 period.  all that phony patriotism and rhetoric being thrown about.  You felt afraid to say or even think anything that would deem you as "unpatriotic".  I also remember hearing all foreigners faced discrimination because the average American tied them in with Islamic radicals.  I remember that they soaped the windows of an Arab restaurant in my area and shorlty after it closed.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 05:42:10 PM »

Yep: http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/article1050707.ece

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 05:48:12 PM »

^ I already spoke of boneheads. One story here and there doesn't demonstrate that there was a spike in nation-wide discrimination.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 06:20:38 PM »

I remember that they soaped the windows of an Arab restaurant in my area and shorlty after it closed.
Can't you clean it off with a strong hose and say thank you for helping clean it?

Or is this basically like Kristallnacht where they broke the windows based on racial/religious fear/hate?
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 06:42:54 PM »

^ I already spoke of boneheads. One story here and there doesn't demonstrate that there was a spike in nation-wide discrimination.
Yes, I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 09:57:56 PM »

Sounds like a steroid junkie.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 10:07:33 PM »

Sikhs had a problem since they must wear a turban. 

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 01:12:14 AM »

And there were also things like the vandalizing of an Assyrian church in Warren, MI. by some really outstanding "Christians", no doubt on their break from performing brain surgery...

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 02:10:13 AM »

I apologize for misunderstanding Smiley

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 02:48:33 AM »

I apologize for misunderstanding Smiley
No, I phrased it poorly Tongue.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 03:58:08 AM »

And there were also things like the vandalizing of an Assyrian church in Warren, MI. by some really outstanding "Christians", no doubt on their break from performing brain surgery...

That's ridiculous!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 06:08:32 PM »

I remember that they soaped the windows of an Arab restaurant in my area and shortly after it closed.
Can't you clean it off with a strong hose and say thank you for helping clean it?

Or is this basically like Kristallnacht where they broke the windows based on racial/religious fear/hate?

The restaurant used to be popular in the town were I live.  Then after 9-11 everything changed.  Not only were the windows soaped up, but the Egyptian owner became so scared that he refused to play any more Arab music in his restaurant, but only horrible country music instead (A real atmosphere killer).  He also had to hang a flag and sign up saying "god bless America" outside.  The place ended up closing down around a year later. 

I guess these events shouldn't have come as a suprise since the restaurant was located next to a place called the "Cyclone Saloon". 

-- Gustave Flaubert
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 12:40:09 AM »

The only thing I heard about is that the monks, regardless of their status as novice or tonsured, at a monastery were ordered to wear pectoral crosses in public in the wake of 9/11 lest their long beards and monastic garb might lead others to mistakenly think that they were Muslim.  I don't have a source handy for this one. 

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 12:51:17 AM »

The only thing I heard about is that the monks, regardless of their status as novice or tonsured, at a monastery were ordered to wear pectoral crosses in public in the wake of 9/11 lest their long beards and monastic garb might lead others to mistakenly think that they were Muslim.  I don't have a source handy for this one. 

interesting that they would think their muslim...  when my Father was in high school, he ran with the track team right by our Church.  he saw the priest, and assumed he was a Satanist extremist.   Wink

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 12:53:24 AM »

The local Coptic church was holding their ethnic festival. They had somehow arranged to be allowed to also use the parking spots of the building next door. When it was happening, the owner somehow developed the idea that they were Muslim terrorists (even though they had a big sign up front with the Coptic cross), and threw a fit, and demanded their remove their cars lest they be towed. It took lots of patience and cajoling to convince him that they were in fact Christians who have no interest in Islam.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 12:56:12 AM »

Yes. In fact on the day after, an Indian Sihk in Texas was killed, believed to be the first person targeted as a result of 9/11.
A Sihk physician I know pulled his son out of Litttle League due to threats.

Proverbs 22:7
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 12:22:22 AM »

The Armenian store near where I was living at the time closed shortly after 9/11.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 04:47:39 PM »

Yes. In fact on the day after, an Indian Sihk in Texas was killed, believed to be the first person targeted as a result of 9/11.
A Sihk physician I know pulled his son out of Litttle League due to threats.

Sad That's so pathetic. Sikh turbans are so distinctive and I've never seen a Muslim wear something like it.  Sad

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: