OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 06:30:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking about Becoming Orthodox. Would Appreciate Opinions of Others.  (Read 3113 times) Average Rating: 0
RAR_PadrePio

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Raphael the Archangel

« on: March 29, 2010, 04:58:13 AM »

As it stands to make a long story short I was raised Catholic, was baptized as a Child, and then my parents slowly stopped attending Church and I spent some time attending almost no Church at all. At some point in middle school i began to attend a small local Protestant church which grew over time, then midway through high school I decided that I should go back to the Catholic Church. So I began to attend mass regularly. I gradually taught myself about the Catholic faith it was then that I wanted to receive the other two sacraments of initiation, but by this time it had been about 2 years and I had already missed a majority of the RCIA(Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) process So I would have to wait till the following year. So I did and this was also the year that I want off to College and it was lost in the transition. this was last year and it that very year that i was exposed to Orthodoxy at Pascha. This year i regularly attend an Orthodox Church and have fallen in love with all i have learned about the church, but I have also finally been able to find a local RCIA program which will have reached primary completion when i have receive the Sacraments i have longed for so many years, this Easter which is now less than a week away.I love both the communities at the Catholic and Orthodox Churches.I have developed a community with other Catholics through the RCIA process and the local Newman Center where I am on the choir.and also developed a sense of community with the Orthodox Church. I have also been to an Orthodox Monastery twice and I loved it, both times i never wanted to leave.In addition to that the Priest at the Orthodox Church I attend would like to set up a meeting with me. I need advice as to what I should do. Huh
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 04:58:52 AM by RAR_PadrePio » Logged

"Pray, pray to the Lord with me, because the whole world needs prayer. And every day, when your heart especially feels the loneliness of life, pray. Pray to the Lord Together."
— St. Pio de Pietrelcina
Christianus
Elder

Faith: ¿esse an non esse Orthodoxus?

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 06:02:14 AM »

As it stands to make a long story short I was raised Catholic, was baptized as a Child, and then my parents slowly stopped attending Church and I spent some time attending almost no Church at all. At some point in middle school i began to attend a small local Protestant church which grew over time, then midway through high school I decided that I should go back to the Catholic Church. So I began to attend mass regularly. I gradually taught myself about the Catholic faith it was then that I wanted to receive the other two sacraments of initiation, but by this time it had been about 2 years and I had already missed a majority of the RCIA(Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) process So I would have to wait till the following year. So I did and this was also the year that I want off to College and it was lost in the transition. this was last year and it that very year that i was exposed to Orthodoxy at Pascha. This year i regularly attend an Orthodox Church and have fallen in love with all i have learned about the church, but I have also finally been able to find a local RCIA program which will have reached primary completion when i have receive the Sacraments i have longed for so many years, this Easter which is now less than a week away.I love both the communities at the Catholic and Orthodox Churches.I have developed a community with other Catholics through the RCIA process and the local Newman Center where I am on the choir.and also developed a sense of community with the Orthodox Church. I have also been to an Orthodox Monastery twice and I loved it, both times i never wanted to leave.In addition to that the Priest at the Orthodox Church I attend would like to set up a meeting with me. I need advice as to what I should do. Huh
Salve amice, as a Christian outside of the one holy catholic church (though divided in east and west), I have to tell you that Orthodoxy is the original plain simple yet holy peaceful church that God founded on earth.
whenever I hear people say oh Christianity killed all these people in the name of God, by inquisitions and Crusades, I feel like I want to laugh at their ridiculousness and say to them: The Orthodox Church never killed anyone in the name of God nor did they inquisitions like in my ancestors' homeland, Spain.
"Oh, the Church tried to hinder and stop science", again ridiculous from a different viewpoint, the orthodox church never called Galileo a heretic, nor did they hinder scientific progress, in matter of fact an orthodox Christian Dmitri  Mendeleev created the first periodic table.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 09:46:08 AM »

Meet with the local Orthodox Priest and he will assist you on your journey. My prayers are with you.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 11:16:35 AM »

Lord have mercy on thy servant!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 12:53:48 PM »

Actually, just to clear things up a bit, there have certainly been outbreaks of persecution at the hands of Orthodox bishops, mostly before the schism. That being said, the Orthodox have been primarily the victims of persecution, and rarely the perpetrators of it.

Also, I disagree that the Church is divided (not talking about internal schisms within the Orthodox community), because from our point of view, the Orthodox Church is the whole Catholic Church, not just half of it. Since the Carolingian Franks uncanonically and forcibly deposed the Orthodox hierarchs of the western Church and replaced them with their own, I would seriously question the validity of the western Apostolic Succession. That's why in Muslim languages (Turkish&Arabic) and in mediaeval Greek, "Roman"=Orthodox Christian and "Frank"=western "Roman Catholic." Just giving you the facts Smiley.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 01:00:48 PM by Rufus » Logged
RAR_PadrePio

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 04:35:20 AM »

Well when the day came I was not able to allow my self to be confirmed in the Catholic Church. I went to talk to one of the Roman Catholic priests about the entire situation, and after speaking with him earlier that day before Easter Vigil about the whole situation he was very supportive of the decision that I had made, he even encouraged that I take some more time in discernment.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 04:37:42 AM by RAR_PadrePio » Logged

"Pray, pray to the Lord with me, because the whole world needs prayer. And every day, when your heart especially feels the loneliness of life, pray. Pray to the Lord Together."
— St. Pio de Pietrelcina
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 05:18:26 AM »

Christ is risen!

Go meet with the Orthodox priest.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Feanor

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 05:55:44 AM »

Christ is Risen!

I was a Catholic formerly and I converted to Orthodoxy last year. I was finally received into the Orthodox Church by the sacrament of Chrismation on Holy Saturday.

In Orthodoxy I have found a deep, rich and fulfilling spiritual life which has changed me completely. I still love many aspects of Catholicism, and I still pray to St Anthony of Padua, I sometimes pray the Rosary, I love learning about Catholic monasticism, I love Catholic chant, and I every now and then need a Catholic mass in order to get my fix for Western Christianity. As far as I see it, Catholicism and Orthodoxy are two traditions which represent two very different political and cultural spheres of Christian development. I look forward to the day when the two Churches are united in full ecumenical communion: I think it would be a much better representation of the invisible Body of Christ, the one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church.

That said, Orthodoxy satisfies me in ways which Roman Catholicism simply cannot. I personally find the spirituality of Orthodoxy to be richer and more meaningful, the theology to be more sound and closer to the theology of the Apostolic Age. Papal infallibility, purgatory, indulgences, original sin, the love of spreading AIDS, obsession with guilt, the child abuse scandals, and the very legalistic 'let's-make-concrete-definitions-of-things-we-can't-be-sure-of' approach to theology all make me very uncomfortable. Orthodoxy preserves the mystery of spiritual matters, rather than trying to understand everything through neat, convenient black-and-white definitions. The fact is, there is much we don't know. However, we do know how to rightly give praise and worship to the Trinity and how to celebrate the mysteries of the Lord, and Orthodoxy places a great emphasis on right worship, not just sound doctrine.

I strongly encourage you to explore Orthodoxy. Experience the Liturgy, learn about its mystic theology, and try to incorporate some Orthodox practices into your prayer life. Ultimately, open yourself to the Holy Spirit and let God guide you. I felt myself strongly drawn towards the Orthodoxy Church - perhaps you will find yourself spiritually drawn elsewhere.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 09:52:57 AM »

Christ is Risen!

I was a Catholic formerly and I converted to Orthodoxy last year. I was finally received into the Orthodox Church by the sacrament of Chrismation on Holy Saturday.

In Orthodoxy I have found a deep, rich and fulfilling spiritual life which has changed me completely. I still love many aspects of Catholicism, and I still pray to St Anthony of Padua, I sometimes pray the Rosary, I love learning about Catholic monasticism, I love Catholic chant, and I every now and then need a Catholic mass in order to get my fix for Western Christianity. As far as I see it, Catholicism and Orthodoxy are two traditions which represent two very different political and cultural spheres of Christian development. I look forward to the day when the two Churches are united in full ecumenical communion: I think it would be a much better representation of the invisible Body of Christ, the one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church.

That said, Orthodoxy satisfies me in ways which Roman Catholicism simply cannot. I personally find the spirituality of Orthodoxy to be richer and more meaningful, the theology to be more sound and closer to the theology of the Apostolic Age. Papal infallibility, purgatory, indulgences, original sin, the love of spreading AIDS, obsession with guilt, the child abuse scandals, and the very legalistic 'let's-make-concrete-definitions-of-things-we-can't-be-sure-of' approach to theology all make me very uncomfortable. Orthodoxy preserves the mystery of spiritual matters, rather than trying to understand everything through neat, convenient black-and-white definitions. The fact is, there is much we don't know. However, we do know how to rightly give praise and worship to the Trinity and how to celebrate the mysteries of the Lord, and Orthodoxy places a great emphasis on right worship, not just sound doctrine.

I strongly encourage you to explore Orthodoxy. Experience the Liturgy, learn about its mystic theology, and try to incorporate some Orthodox practices into your prayer life. Ultimately, open yourself to the Holy Spirit and let God guide you. I felt myself strongly drawn towards the Orthodoxy Church - perhaps you will find yourself spiritually drawn elsewhere.

Christ is risen!

Have you looked into WRO?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Feanor

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 06:08:02 PM »

Yes, but I find the Byzantine Rite to be infinitely better. I just need an occasional fix of Roman Rite coffee every few months.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 11:51:16 AM »

Christ is Risen!

RAR_PadrePio, welcome to the forum!
RAR_PadrePio

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 06:52:56 PM »

After a few months of being an Orthodox Catechumen starting on November 21, 2010. I was received into the  Holy Orthodox Catholic Church by Chrismation on May 15, 2011 with the Archangel Raphael as my Patron Saint.

— St. Pio de Pietrelcina
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 07:12:38 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Congratulations.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 07:13:44 PM »

After a few months of being an Orthodox Catechumen starting on November 21, 2010. I was received into the  Holy Orthodox Catholic Church by Chrismation on May 15, 2011 with the Archangel Raphael as my Patron Saint.

Many Years!

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 08:14:36 PM »

Glory to God!

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 08:38:57 PM »

Wow!  It was great to read all 3 of your posts...and watch the transition!

This is great news!

Welcome Home!

Congratulations, and many happy blessed years!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Global Nom ad

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 09:23:13 PM »

Lord, have mercy on Your servant. Amen.
Russell

Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 12:15:03 AM »

Welcome home

Mathe 24:36
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 02:29:13 AM »

Many years!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 03:08:14 AM »

Many years!
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 11:48:01 PM »

Splendid news!   God keep you in His Way. 
Gypsy

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Diocese of USA, Canada and Australia

St. Theodosia, Defender of the Holy Icons

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 07:33:50 AM »

I see you have Padre Pio as your avatar...do you mind if I ask - are you still devoted to him?
Do you ask prayers for his intercession - or have you found an approved Orthdox Saint that you plan to switch to....?
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 08:16:58 AM »

Welcome home! Many Years!

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 09:52:45 AM »

Congratulations and many years!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 05:55:04 PM »

Congratulations, RAR_Padre Pio.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 12:31:53 AM »

[Decided my post wasn't as edifying as first thought, haha]
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 12:36:44 AM by akimori makoto » Logged

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 12:46:40 AM »

lol, it's k.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2011, 09:01:08 PM »

The tangent on whether it's necessary for a Catholic to renounce the errors of Rome upon reception into the Orthodox Church has been moved to Orthodox-Catholic Discussion.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=37255.0
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:02:20 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: