Author Topic: Usage of Creeds  (Read 438 times)

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
Usage of Creeds
« on: April 10, 2011, 02:27:54 PM »
Out of curiosity, why did the Nicene–Constantinopolitan creed become popular in the East, while the Augustinian Athanasian creed and the Apostles' creed became more popular in the west? (I'm not saying each side doesn't use a variety of creeds, I'm just thinking generally about what I've heard most often... hopefully I am not incorrect in my perceptions)
We all have an El Guapo to face. Be brave, and fight like lions!

Form a 'brute squad' then!

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
Re: Usage of Creeds
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 04:05:07 PM »
Out of curiosity, why did the Nicene–Constantinopolitan creed become popular in the East, while the Augustinian Athanasian creed and the Apostles' creed became more popular in the west? (I'm not saying each side doesn't use a variety of creeds, I'm just thinking generally about what I've heard most often... hopefully I am not incorrect in my perceptions)
There was no Apostles Creed or Athanasian Creed in the East.  NC was the work of two Ecumenical Councils that had most of the East involved.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
Re: Usage of Creeds
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 04:10:46 PM »
Aha aha! So you don't follow St. Athanasius or the Apostles? I knew it!    :P 

If I remember correctly, the Nicene Creed was based on baptismal creeds already in use for years... any idea if the same or similar creeds were in use in the west as well c. 325? I mean, they had to use something...
We all have an El Guapo to face. Be brave, and fight like lions!

Form a 'brute squad' then!