OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 05:46:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to properly dispose of a psalter  (Read 837 times) Average Rating: 0
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« on: April 09, 2011, 06:10:59 PM »

My Psalter was in my car and somehow became wet after some really horrible weather last week. I tried drying it out but mould started growing on it. Cry

How do I get rid of it respectfully now? I've heard burning is the respectful way of disposing of old Bibles. Would I just take it to my priest to do it?

(And yes, he will probably see this ("go ask your priest"), but I am asking here so other people can learn too)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 06:11:50 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 10:19:05 PM »

Instead of burning you can bury it in hallow ground  ,in a cemetery over a relative .....Church has a burial rite for
used worn out sacred books ,if im right......... police
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 10:20:50 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 10:38:24 PM »

Well, I suggest you ask your priest.  Wink

You could burn it yourself (fireplace, fire pit, ....) and bury the ashes somewhere where nobody will walk over them, or dig them up.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 08:40:12 PM »

Instead of burning you can bury it in hallow ground  ,in a cemetery over a relative .....Church has a burial rite for

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have this option though (family grave yard is 1000 miles away, they weren't Orthodox, and well, if you dig there you're going to dig someone up in all likelihood).
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 08:42:10 PM »

Well, I suggest you ask your priest.  Wink

You could burn it yourself (fireplace, fire pit, ....) and bury the ashes somewhere where nobody will walk over them, or dig them up.

Well, I thought of that but it would feel really weird to me to burn a holy book. I guess what I have heard is right though?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 08:52:46 PM »

After burning the book, there is no need to bury it if you do not have a place to do so...

"For I have eaten ashes like bread, and mingled my drink with weeping" - Ps. 102:9

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 10:28:08 PM »

double post delite.... Grin

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have this option though (family grave yard is 1000 miles away, they weren't Orthodox, and well, if you dig there you're going to dig someone up in all likelihood).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:50:22 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 10:48:21 PM »

Only if you where digging 6 feet down to bury the psalter....... Grin

If there's a Holy Orthodox Monastery Near By ,Pay them a visit ...Tour the cemetery read the head stones find a place like a freshly bured grave that has  mounds of dirt piled on it waiting to settle,use that, or bring a small garden shovel and find a area you like ,also  you can plant a flower over the spot when burying the psalter....see how easy..

Hopefully your Talking about a Holy Orthodox Prayer Psalter and Not A roman Catholic One.....IF it's a Catholic Prayer Book Psalter Disregard Everything I said ...Just toss it in the garbage....... Grin police

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:55:33 PM by stashko » Logged

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 11:25:08 PM »

Ok, if people just want to be funny please don't post.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 11:55:49 PM »

You Must be Newbe to Holy Orthodoxy ...Orthodox church has a Rite a burial service for old worn out religious item  Scriptures.there buried in a coffin in the the cemetery ...Jews i Believe due likewise for old worn out torah scrolls....there's nothing funny about it...I was just giving a option on what to do. ......If it is a heretical catholic Psalter it doesn't belong in a Orthodox Cemetery, thats if you chose that route....of disposing of it...... police

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:58:41 PM by stashko » Logged

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 12:32:55 AM »

You Must be Newbe to Holy Orthodoxy ...Orthodox church has a Rite a burial service for old worn out religious item  Scriptures.there buried in a coffin in the the cemetery ...Jews i Believe due likewise for old worn out torah scrolls....there's nothing funny about it...I was just giving a option on what to do. ......If it is a heretical catholic Psalter it doesn't belong in a Orthodox Cemetery, thats if you chose that route....of disposing of it...... police

I am not talking about that, I am talking about the "eating ashes" bit and other stuff (which has nothing to do with respectfully disposing of a holy book and is about suffering - the person that replied with that could be being snarky but I don't really know anymore, people on Orthodox forums seem to have a knack at interpreting things ridiculously, more often than not the benefit of doubt is not warranted). And no, I could not bury it in my family grave yard, they are not buried 6 feet down, at least not any more - I know what I am talking about in that regard.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 12:35:36 AM by Jason.Wike » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 12:39:48 AM »

You didn't mention if it was a Orthodox one,so i didn't know.....so i mentioned the other one as well just to cover both bases, o well carry on, and do what you got to do.... police

I am not talking about that, I am talking about the "eating ashes" bit and other stuff (which has nothing to do with respectfully disposing of a holy book and is about suffering - he could be being snarky but I don't really know anymore, people on Orthodox forums seem to have a knack at interpreting things ridiculously, more often then not the benefit of doubt is not warranted). And no, I could not bury it in my family grave yard, they are not buried 6 feet down, at least not any more - I know what I am talking about in that regard.

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 12:49:16 AM »

Don't try and dig any holes in a graveyard in the US unless you want to get into legal trouble. And most especially don't try and place something into a fresh grave unless you REALLY want to get into legal trouble.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 01:03:42 AM »

Don't try and dig any holes in a graveyard in the US unless you want to get into legal trouble. And most especially don't try and place something into a fresh grave unless you REALLY want to get into legal trouble.

Coffin's in this day and age Have a water tight vault ,that the coffin is put in plus it's six feet down.......People dig all summer long on there relative graves, Planting rose bushes, flowers, haven't noticed anyone yet being arrested...To bury a small psalter one wouldn't  have to go very deep anyway....I planted a rose bush on my Mother's grave a few yrs.ago....  police

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: