OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 04:49:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OCA Late Vocations Program Question  (Read 3555 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: February 10, 2010, 12:45:31 AM »

I was on another Orthodox site, and I noticed someone who was involved with the "OCA Late Vocations Program," or something to that effect.  The thing that  surprised me was that the guy wasn't even out of his 20's! (according to his profile)

What exactly is considered a "late vocation"?  I usually think someone in their mid-forties up.  Just wondering.   

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 12:46:16 AM by StGeorge » Logged
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 10:47:59 PM »

I was on another Orthodox site, and I noticed someone who was involved with the "OCA Late Vocations Program," or something to that effect.  The thing that  surprised me was that the guy wasn't even out of his 20's! (according to his profile)

What exactly is considered a "late vocation"?  I usually think someone in their mid-forties up.  Just wondering.   

A late-vocations program is for those who want to be ordained, but have not had a seminary education. 35 years of age is the age limit for admission, although this might be changed from case to case. This program would prepare you for the diaconate. You could be ordained a deacon, but a priestly candidate might need a seminary education.
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 12:07:24 AM »

There was an OCA parish where I used to live which started a diaconate program a few years ago that was associated with St. Tikhon's Seminary.  The diaconate program may have been thought of in part as a "late vocations" program, but in actuality there were older (50+) and younger (20s - 30s) men enrolled.  The younger men that I knew in the program were married with children and/or established already in a career.  For them, it would be very difficult to drop everything and go to seminary for a couple of years, and they may have been "testing the waters" to see if God may be calling them to seminary.  The way this program was designed, those enrolled would attend classes at the church all day every Saturday (I'm sure they had some breaks).  The day would begin with Divine Liturgy and end with Great Vespers, with those enrolled playing an active liturgical role (in the choir, serving in the altar, etc.).  After two years of attending these classes and completing associated assignments and tests, the participant in the program would be considered by St. Tikhon's Seminary to have completed the equivalent of one full year of seminary.  After the completion of the two year program, one's bishop may decide to ordain him to the diaconate.  Or, after two years in this program one may decide to go to St. Tikhon's Seminary for two years (rather than the usual 3) to receive an M. Div.  Or, after the completion of the course one could just continue among the laity without ever being ordained.
Tags: priesthood vocations 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: