OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 01:23:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: can we (Orthodox) go to eucharistic adoration?  (Read 9724 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: April 08, 2011, 08:03:46 PM »

I understand that the Roman Church has valid sacraments.  there is a Catholic Church within short walking distance of my dad's house with eucharistic adoration.  can I go and pray with my (Orthodox) prayer books before our Lord there?  a friend is suffering liver failure, and I feel that I really need to do this, if it is OK.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 08:06:10 PM »

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 08:08:06 PM »

I understand that the Roman Church has valid sacraments.  there is a Catholic Church within short walking distance of my dad's house with eucharistic adoration.  can I go and pray with my (Orthodox) prayer books before our Lord there?  a friend is suffering liver failure, and I feel that I really need to do this, if it is OK.

You'll get a multitude of opinions but the only one I would take seriously, no matter how well intentioned, is my priests.  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 08:09:29 PM »

From what I've read/heard/etc the Eucharistic is for one thing, eating. I would caution you but I'm of course no authority.

Re the bold: Is this the case? I was under the impression it is the exact opposite.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 08:10:26 PM »

Ignore all responses here, and just ask your priest. In fact, it would be awesome if this thread was locked before it became too ugly. Because I could see this getting VERY ugly pretty quickly.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 08:34:42 PM »

I understand that the Roman Church has valid sacraments.  there is a Catholic Church within short walking distance of my dad's house with eucharistic adoration.  can I go and pray with my (Orthodox) prayer books before our Lord there?  a friend is suffering liver failure, and I feel that I really need to do this, if it is OK.
I would say Quinault has the right idea.

As to my worthless opinion, I'd just pray before my icon, and not go adore a Euchariest I could not commune.  This from someone who crosses himself when he passes one of the Vatican's Churches, and will prostrate when I go in and Adoration is going on (that is strictly my own theologoumen).

Btw, maybe you can work out contributing a prosphera.  Have you given his name to your priest?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:36:15 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 08:40:35 PM »

When in doubt, consult the Holy Canons as well as the Church Fathers. In this case :

65. If any Clergyman, or Layman, enter a synagogue of Jews, or of heretics, to pray, let him be both deposed and excommunicated.

Your icon corner is quite apposite for prayer - pray for your friend at home.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Twenty Nine

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 08:51:04 PM »

can I go and pray with my (Orthodox) prayer books before our Lord there?

I wouldn't. You can simply close your door and pray to God.

Eucharistic adoration is essentially a monophysite devotion: it focuses on the divinity of Christ at the expense of His full humanity.

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 09:12:23 PM »

Dear Trevor,

You've gotten some good advice here, I think. 

At some point you are going to have to come face to face with the fact that you have left communion with the Church of your baptism and entered into Orthodoxy. 

You seem to be looking back a great deal.  It is time to truly cut that tie, for it no longer binds you.

Go and be who you are in Christ now.

Mary

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 09:23:03 PM »

Quoting  Holy Scripture it say's ,Don't be Like a Dog Returning to it's own vomit....if you've shaken off former heresies why go back to them.. .You recieved the true light of Holy Orthodoxy there's nothing  that's left back there to go back too only darkness.. Keep moving forword in the Light and grow like a tree...... Huh Huh police
What's wrong with Praying for your friend in a Holy Orthodox Church ,Plus Light a Candle and incense when your at home praying..... police

I understand that the Roman Church has valid sacraments.  there is a Catholic Church within short walking distance of my dad's house with eucharistic adoration.  can I go and pray with my (Orthodox) prayer books before our Lord there?  a friend is suffering liver failure, and I feel that I really need to do this, if it is OK.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:53:31 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 09:57:21 PM »

I understand that the Roman Church has valid sacraments. 

I wouldn't agree with that statement.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 09:57:55 PM »

You'll get a multitude of opinions but the only one I would take seriously, no matter how well intentioned, is my priests.  Smiley

What if your priest's opinion is at odds with Tikhon's priest's?

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 09:58:23 PM »

When stashko and elijahmaria say essentially the same thing (just in completely different ways), you know they're on to something.  When I agree with both of them, you know the sentiment must be correct.

Leave it behind, Trevor.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 09:59:19 PM »

Essentially, after you have yourself received Holy Communion, you can then "adore the Eucharist" when the priest puts the chalice back on the altar and censes it saying, "Be exalted above the Heavens, O God...."
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:59:48 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 10:05:11 PM »

When stashko and elijahmaria say essentially the same thing (just in completely different ways), you know they're on to something.  When I agree with both of them, you know the sentiment must be correct.

Leave it behind, Trevor.

This is true Trevor.  You will find some who will tell you to go ahead and some will tell you no because there is no Eucharist there, and they will all be Orthodox. 

You are young.  You've made a man's choice with a boy's heart.  So what you must do is dig down and find a steadfast heart, and do not waiver, do not look back until you have spent some years in Orthodoxy.  Only then will you be mature enough not to be swept up in doubts of all kinds.

Just trust that God has moved your heart in this way and don't look back.  You have all that you need where you are.

Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 10:05:20 PM »

When in doubt, consult the Holy Canons as well as the Church Fathers. In this case :

65. If any Clergyman, or Layman, enter a synagogue of Jews, or of heretics, to pray, let him be both deposed and excommunicated.

I wonder if St. Tikhon was aware of this, when he attended Evensong at St. Mark's Episcopal Church.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 10:58:46 PM »

Go to Presanctified Liturgy.  There is Eucharistic adoration there.   Of course, in the strict Russian practice with closed doors during the exposition, you will (unless the holy doors are the "low style") not know "from sight" that the exposition, its censing, its being moved to the prothesis etc. (which is the purpose of the psalms being read) is happening. 
Father H
Archon

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 11:03:11 PM »

Eucharistic adoration is essentially a monophysite devotion: it focuses on the divinity of Christ at the expense of His full humanity.

We do it at every presanctified, and indeed, at every Liturgy, as Fr.A has pointed out.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 11:04:52 PM by FatherHLL » Logged
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 11:09:40 PM »

I was under the impression that the Orthodox Church makes no judgment on the validity or lack thereof of the Roman sacraments.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 12:09:44 AM »

Trevor, when I first came to the Orthodox Church, I asked my priest where the tabernacle was so that I could come into the church and pray when I felt the need.  I was used to praying before the Eucharist - it was one of the few times in certain situations where I felt comfort. 

He explained to me that the true tabernacle is now the Body of Christ.  He pointed to my heart and said, "This is where you need to sit before Him, as your heart is the true tabernacle." 

Since then, I've been slowly learning how to enter my heart to be with Him. .  . and only Him. . . and in that place, I am bare before Him and can pour out my heart. 

I don't think I could have accepted any other answer or explanation so soon, but I literally started to cry when he told me this. . .because it was the perfect most beautiful answer. 

I hope this helps.  Prayers to you, for you and for your dear friend.  Lord have mercy.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 12:27:41 AM »

Trevor, I don't know your situation, but if you're feeling the need to pray in church, alone, what about contacting YOUR priest about getting access to YOUR Orthodox parish at a time when no service is going on - to pray quietly.

StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 12:45:14 AM »

Eucharistic adoration in the East is found in the Liturgy of Pre-Sanctified Gifts.  If you have a prayer corner in your house, you can pray there with God's divine presence in the icons.  

I would not recommend going to the Catholic Church for Eucharistic adoration.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 12:49:56 AM by StGeorge » Logged
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 12:55:05 AM »

I wouldn't. You can simply close your door and pray to God.

Having gone to Eucharistic adoration with some frequency during my Catholic years, I have to politely disagree with this.  Most Catholic churches/chapels where the Eucharistic host is shown have visible reminders of Christ's crucifixion (e.g. crucifix behind the altar or on the wall, above the monstrance, stations of the cross around the church, etc.).  The Eucharistic miracles that occur often involve the appearance of blood on the host, thereby showing His humanity.  
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 12:57:27 AM by StGeorge » Logged
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 01:35:59 AM »

I wonder if St. Tikhon was aware of this, when he attended Evensong at St. Mark's Episcopal Church.
I am quite sure that he was. The canon does not prohibit entering heretical churches, rather praying within them. St. Tikhon attended not for prayer, but to examine Anglican liturgy for its usage within Orthodoxy (btw St. Mark's is now Orthodox).

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 05:52:55 AM »

Leave it behind, Trevor.

Cheesy
Good point. I agree, and I imagine I will experience similar struggles in the years ahead of me. Whenever I feel pulled to my past, whether it's my religious past, or even  darker, secular parts of my past, I try to say a prayer, in front of an icon if possible, and remember where God has brought me!

As a Catholic, Eucharistic Adoration, at least when I was doing well, was a major part of my faith. When I first inquired in Catholicism, 10 years or so ago, the man who eventually became my Godfather directed me to adoration. He was a devotee, and still goes 2-3 times a week for an hour, as a "shift leader" for a perpetual parish. I gained an awful lot from this, and it is and will be a difficult thing to give up, but I realize that the blessings I received at adoration came mostly from letting Christ into my heart, in a quiet and solitary way, and really using the various images that would be in the chapel, i.e., the crucifix, the statues of the Theotokos, quite intuitively, in the way that I have now been taught to pray with icons. I actually had trouble often when I really focused too hard on the implications behind actual Eucharistic Adoration, it seemed a little odd outside of the context of actual Communion....
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 06:00:53 AM by JimCBrooklyn » Logged

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 06:26:28 AM »

I was under the impression that the Orthodox Church makes no judgment on the validity or lack thereof of the Roman sacraments.

That is right. There was no need to dogmatise this issue.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 06:39:02 AM »

Well, there is this: 

Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk: "It is impossible to speak of ‘the recognition of the sacraments’ administered by schismatics."

"The point here is not a diplomatic manifestation of politeness but attempts to impose on the Orthodox
the recognition of a real presence of saving grace outside the Church. For the Church, the authenticity
of Sacraments is a matter of salvation. It is impossible and senseless to speak of ‘recognition of sacraments’
administered by schismatics who stay outside the Church and have no communion with her.

http://www.mospat.ru/en/2010/10/06/news27421/

But then there is also this!

Metropolitan Hilarion: Interview with Der Spiegel and his remarks on Catholic sacraments.

http://byztex.blogspot.com/2009/12/abp-hilarion-sits-down-with-der-spiegel.html

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 06:53:52 AM »

That is right. There was no need to dogmatise this issue.

There's no need to dogmatise an issue that causes confusion and division among the faithful?

Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2011, 07:05:48 AM »

There's no need to dogmatise an issue that causes confusion and division among the faithful?

I guess that in the pre-Internet times there simply wasn't that much "confusion and division among the faithful" over this particular issue. Wink
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 07:06:17 AM by Michał » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2011, 08:38:09 AM »

I guess that in the pre-Internet times there simply wasn't that much "confusion and division among the faithful" over this particular issue. Wink

It would have been quite an issue if, say, Russian faithful had known that Greek bishops are teaching just the opposite than their own bishops. I'm not saying that we should dogmatise everything or that every local church should have similar practice. But the theological idea behind different practices is certainly an issue due to Old Calendarist schism. Maybe it wasn't an issue in the past but it is certainly an issue nowadays.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 08:43:25 AM by Alpo » Logged

Sleeper
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2011, 09:48:57 AM »

I am quite sure that he was. The canon does not prohibit entering heretical churches, rather praying within them. St. Tikhon attended not for prayer, but to examine Anglican liturgy for its usage within Orthodoxy (btw St. Mark's is now Orthodox).

Well, the actual website of the parish puts it this way:

Many interesting characters passed through the doors of St. Mark’s in these 124 years. Most interesting was the visit of Archbishop Tikhon (Belavin), who joined in Vespers, preached, and blessed the congregation on the Patronal Feast Day of St. Mark the Evangelist, April 25, 1904. Newspaper accounts of the day record the event in detail, including the fact that Archbishop Tikhon preached in Greek and that he was interpreted by the Russian priest of the Greek Russian Catholic Parish of Holy Transfiguration—which had just been reclaimed for Orthodoxy two days before from the Uniates! This was one of many instances in which Archbishop Tikhon (later elevated to Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia, and since canonized as St. Tikhon) obtained experience with worship in English and in the Western Rite. At this same time he employed Isabel Florence Hapgood, an Episcopalian lay woman, to translate the service books from Slavonic to English.

Link provided by poster: http://www.westernorthodox.com/stmark/about  -PtA
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:16:25 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2011, 11:35:45 AM »

Trevor, I don't know your situation, but if you're feeling the need to pray in church, alone, what about contacting YOUR priest about getting access to YOUR Orthodox parish at a time when no service is going on - to pray quietly.

That is an excellent idea.  In my parish, everyone has a key to the building.  I have gone in when I've felt really depressed or stressed.  It always calms me down to be in there to pray and being surrounded by all the icons of the saints.
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2011, 12:25:02 PM »

Many interesting characters passed through the doors of St. Mark’s in these 124 years. Most interesting was the visit of Archbishop Tikhon (Belavin), who joined in Vespers, preached, and blessed the congregation on the Patronal Feast Day of St. Mark the Evangelist, April 25, 1904. Newspaper accounts of the day record the event in detail, including the fact that Archbishop Tikhon preached in Greek and that he was interpreted by the Russian priest of the Greek Russian Catholic Parish of Holy Transfiguration—which had just been reclaimed for Orthodoxy two days before from the Uniates! This was one of many instances in which Archbishop Tikhon (later elevated to Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia, and since canonized as St. Tikhon) obtained experience with worship in English and in the Western Rite. At this same time he employed Isabel Florence Hapgood, an Episcopalian lay woman, to translate the service books from Slavonic to English.
Interesting, I will have to read more on this. Regardless, I do not find the situation of St. Tikhon and the OP to be comparable (I am not implying that you did either). St. Tikhon possessed the episcopal power to "bind and loose", thus did what he felt was necessary for leading the heterodox to salvation (notice that his actions are rooted in bringing people to Orthodoxy, not ecumenism that validates heretical beliefs). The OP, however, is not a bishop, nor does he seek to convert the RC's. Unless a bishop has granted one an economic adherence to a canon, he must hold fast to these teachings. While the canons exist to guide us (and not to legalistically rule over us) we should not be quick to disregard them. The holy fathers entrusted them to us for our own good and for our own salvation.

Sleeper
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2011, 02:52:51 PM »

Excellent points, Ioannis! And you're correct, I wasn't trying to imply the situations were comparable, just thought it was interesting in light of that canon.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2011, 05:36:12 PM »

Regarding the Reception of Converts and "Re-Baptism"

http://www.orthodoxresearchinstitute.org/articles/liturgics/reception_of_converts.htm

"...the Eparchial Synod of Bishops of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, with the concurrence of the Holy and Sacred Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, has determined to recognize by extreme Oikonomia the heterodox Baptisms normatively performed according to the prescribed form in the following denominations and churches:.... (l.) Roman Catholic...."

People often look at me sideways as if I have lapsed into madness and fundamentalism when I say the Orthodox do not recognise non-Orthodox Baptisms per se, not even those of the Roman Catholic Church, but there it is in black and white from the Greeks in the US.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2011, 05:46:58 PM »

When things as important as grace in sacraments are at stake in a conversion, how does a teen-aged boy wind up converted to Orthodoxy not knowing that the universal Church that he has entered does not recognize grace in the Church that he just left behind? 

This question will conclude my participation in this thread.

Regarding the Reception of Converts and "Re-Baptism"

http://www.orthodoxresearchinstitute.org/articles/liturgics/reception_of_converts.htm

"...the Eparchial Synod of Bishops of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, with the concurrence of the Holy and Sacred Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, has determined to recognize by extreme Oikonomia the heterodox Baptisms normatively performed according to the prescribed form in the following denominations and churches:.... (l.) Roman Catholic...."

People often look at me sideways as if I have lapsed into madness and fundamentalism when I say the Orthodox do not recognise non-Orthodox Baptisms per se, not even those of the Roman Catholic Church, but there it is in black and white from the Greeks in the US.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2011, 05:55:30 PM »

When things as important as grace in sacraments are at stake in a conversion, how does a teen-aged boy wind up converted to Orthodoxy not knowing that the universal Church that he has entered does not recognize grace in the Church that he just left behind? 

This question will conclude my participation in this thread.

There are a few things on which the Orthodox disagree at this present time.

1.  The issue of the Calendar

2.  Our relationship to other Christian Churches, and the nature of their Sacraments (if they claim to possess them.)

In the case of the Protestant Churches which do not even wish to have a sacramental understanding of Baptism but see it as a public affirmation of a prior commitment to Christ, etc., there is obviously no problem at all about rejecting their Baptisms.

In the case of the Roman Catholics the Orthodox Churches have varying opinions, and it has been this way since the Great Schism.  Perhaps the upcoming Great Council will discuss this and formulate a policy agreed on by all the Orthodox Churches.  If not, then we are stuck with our diversity.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2011, 06:04:44 PM »

It would have been quite an issue if, say, Russian faithful had known that Greek bishops are teaching just the opposite than their own bishops. I'm not saying that we should dogmatise everything or that every local church should have similar practice. But the theological idea behind different practices is certainly an issue due to Old Calendarist schism. Maybe it wasn't an issue in the past but it is certainly an issue nowadays.

I wouldn't say that the issue has much to do with the so-called "Old Calendarist schism." But I am interested to hear your argument.

Please Buy My Book!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2011, 06:08:52 PM »

What if your priest's opinion is at odds with Tikhon's priest's?

I want to clarify that when I made this post last night, I was not trying to be snarky, but was hoping this would spin a side discussion. I agree that we should ask our priest these types of questions first, before coming on the internet. And we know Tikhon (Trevor) from his kind posting history, where he is especially open with us all (sometimes I think a bit too much, but I still feel honored that he trusts the site to give him advice).

What I was hoping to get at was that sometimes priests give bad or even wrong advice (I happen to know Tikhon's priest, and I am not referring to him at all!), and sometimes priests are just impossible to get a hold of.  And sometimes we realize our priest has an opinion that is not shared by other priests. It can be very confusing, and that is what I wanted to elaborate on, and hear others' perspectives, not just my own.

But I can see that this might not be the best place to do it, so I will ask the moderators to split the topic if anyone takes up the discussion, but if no one replies to this point, we can safely just let this one die.

Tikhon, you are in my prayers and please do talk to your priest about your confusion when you have a chance.

Please Buy My Book!

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2011, 10:47:20 PM »

I wouldn't say that the issue has much to do with the so-called "Old Calendarist schism." But I am interested to hear your argument.

Well you probably know more about this than I, Father. Smiley It is just my simple understanding that one of the things that Old Calendarists complain about mainstream EOs is that some of us seem to accept, say, RC sacraments as valid and efficacious. But of course that wasn't the original reason for the schism.

Anyway, this is not just about Old Calendarists vs. mainstream EOs. I recall reading that metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk was mocked as heretic by his own Russian faithful due to his irenic stand to heterodox. I believe that dogmatising our stance on heterodox sacraments can help to diminish these kind of disputes. That's why I'm all for it.

Father H
Archon

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2011, 05:25:42 PM »

Well you probably know more about this than I, Father. Smiley It is just my simple understanding that one of the things that Old Calendarists complain about mainstream EOs is that some of us seem to accept, say, RC sacraments as valid and efficacious. But of course that wasn't the original reason for the schism. Anyway, this is not just about Old Calendarists vs. mainstream EOs. I recall reading that metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk was mocked as heretic by his own Russian faithful due to his irenic stand to heterodox. I believe that dogmatising our stance on heterodox sacraments can help to diminish these kind of disputes. That's why I'm all for it.

It cannot be dogmatized because every heretical, schismatic or even paracongregationalist group is different, and even change their own positions over time.   It is pastoral.  Our position on doctrine alone can be dogmatic.   That is why, from the beginning, going back to Sts. Stephen and Cyprian.   Since they we have argued and fluxuated back and forth in different time periods in different regions on the subject.  Again, this is because, until it comes to receiving a whole group back into Orthodoxy (such as the Donatists), then, in that particular circumstance and time dogmas are defined and mutually adhered to.  But as time goes on, a different approach with a different group in different times.  You can't change something that is not dogmatic into a dogmatic issue.   
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2011, 07:00:39 PM »

Well you probably know more about this than I, Father. Smiley It is just my simple understanding that one of the things that Old Calendarists complain about mainstream EOs is that some of us seem to accept, say, RC sacraments as valid and efficacious. But of course that wasn't the original reason for the schism. Anyway, this is not just about Old Calendarists vs. mainstream EOs. I recall reading that metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk was mocked as heretic by his own Russian faithful due to his irenic stand to heterodox. I believe that dogmatising our stance on heterodox sacraments can help to diminish these kind of disputes. That's why I'm all for it.

It cannot be dogmatized because every heretical, schismatic or even paracongregationalist group is different, and even change their own positions over time.   It is pastoral.  Our position on doctrine alone can be dogmatic.   That is why, from the beginning, going back to Sts. Stephen and Cyprian.   Since they we have argued and fluxuated back and forth in different time periods in different regions on the subject.  Again, this is because, until it comes to receiving a whole group back into Orthodoxy (such as the Donatists), then, in that particular circumstance and time dogmas are defined and mutually adhered to.  But as time goes on, a different approach with a different group in different times.  You can't change something that is not dogmatic into a dogmatic issue.  

Interesting point about each heretical, schismatic, and paracongregationalist group being different.  I am reminded of St. Basil's canonical letter that concerns the baptism of heretics, in which St. Basil makes distinctions between different groups and how these distinctions help determine how the person is to be received into the Church. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 07:02:41 PM by StGeorge » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2011, 08:07:44 PM »

If you got this from a Web site, as you so admit, could you please give us a link to the Web site from which you copied this, and within the next 72 hours?  Just send the link via private message to either Michal Kalina, LizaSymonenko, or myself, and we'll make sure to append it to your post. Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:07:56 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Sleeper
OC.net guru

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2011, 10:03:11 PM »

If you got this from a Web site, as you so admit, could you please give us a link to the Web site from which you copied this, and within the next 72 hours?  Just send the link via private message to either Michal Kalina, LizaSymonenko, or myself, and we'll make sure to append it to your post. Thank you.

Link sent and my apologies!
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2011, 05:05:03 PM »

Well, the can 'o worms picture speaks volumes, as witnessed by the discussion here.  There isn't much that I have to add, other than A) God knows your heart; B) Icon corners are GREAT; C) the space and atmosphere of a chapel of eucharistic adoration lend themselves to quiet, peaceful, uninterrupted prayer, meditation, (and the occasional quiet nap  Wink); D) I once had a priest (Orthodox) who advised that it presented no problem whatsoever to pray in a chapel of eucharistic adoration (but then, he's not a priest anymore, either  Cool); E) I certainly wouldn't have a problem doing so--God knows my heart, too!; F) Good advice to check with your priest; G) God will hear your prayer *wherever* you are when you pray--in fact, He probably knows your prayer before you even consciously formulate it--remember, God doesn't need our prayers, prayer is for *us* and those for whom we pray.

As for the whole issue of who recognizes who's sacraments as "valid", I would only say that Orthodox Christians are welcome to pray, worship, AND commune with Catholics.  Just ask any Catholic priest.  The "courtesy", if you want to call it that, is not reciprocated by the Orthodox.  (I'll probably get into hot water here for saying that  Roll Eyes).

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: