Author Topic: Why you became OO  (Read 923 times)

Offline CBGardner

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
  • Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience
Why you became OO
« on: April 08, 2011, 07:45:07 PM »
Alright this is a question for all our OO brothers/sisters. What was it that made you choose OO specifically over EO?
I'm not looking for a theological debate but rather your own personal experiences. ie You grew up that way, you were EO and 'saw the light' in OO, you never considered EO before finding OO, etc.

I'm just curious.
Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos

Offline Lizzie

Re: Why you became OO
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 08:12:23 PM »
I was baptised and raised in the Coptic Orthodox Church as a child. More recently I have been reading widely about the differences between the EO & OO faiths, and specifically the different traditions and terminology used in theological discussions. While there are varying views in the EO writings as to whether the OO are canonically Orthodox, I believe there is essentially very little difference.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 08:46:48 PM »
Welcome, Lizzie!

Offline Lizzie

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 08:51:24 PM »
Thanks, Salpy!

Offline kijabeboy03

• OC.net guru
  • J'√©tais insens√©.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Tous.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 03:17:26 PM »
I'm American Orthodox, but it was difficult to decide which church to join as I was living in Ethiopia and Kenya when I first began attending Orthodox services and found the Ethiopians and Copts much friendlier and more active in living their faith than the Greeks I met. (I personally don't think there's a difference in our Christology so that wasn't a big issue for me.) I wanted to be able to find churches easily in North America, however, so I was baptized at an American Orthodox church when I moved to the USA for university. (That's also why I was baptized and chrismated instead of just chrismated - I didn't want to deal with getting refused communion because I'd been baptized in an Evangelical Protestant church as a kid.)