OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 04:44:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just like to share my joy...  (Read 811 times) Average Rating: 0
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« on: May 21, 2004, 03:54:13 PM »

A few weeks ago, I came across the Christian Decor site and saw their beautiful little Icon Shrine and considered buying it today, once I got my paid.

I decided, however, to try to make my own first, using the plethora of woodworking tools I have at my disposal.  I knew the hardest part of designing it would be getting the copula part right, and just now, I worked out a way to get a very nice looking one by using just three circles.  I probably could have found some instructions somewhere on the internet, but I just thought I'd give it a go myself and voila!  It only took about 45 minutes too!

I haven't been this excited about math since getting a B in Calculus in high school!

Home Depot, here I come!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Seraphim Reeves
Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 04:26:39 PM »

I need a set of Dremel tools.  A bandsaw would be nice too. Smiley

Seraphim

Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 06:08:52 PM »

That's great Schultz! I'm a craft-head, and while I might classify what you're doing rather as carpentry, I still find it awesome that you are creating something on your own instead of just giving in and buying it.

Kudos to you! Smiley

hmmmm...
David
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 10:04:30 PM »

Great work Schultz...are you planning on taking a photograph of the shrine once you've stained it?

As a decidedly non-mathmatician, I'd also appreicate a brief explanation on how you extrapolated the cupola measurements.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 10:40:00 AM »

Yes, I plan on taking photos of the final product and during the process.  I have it all plotted out on the plank now and will probaby start cutting tonight.

For the cupola, I traced the original onto graph paper and basically eyed my way into finding the centers of the major curves.  surprisingly, they generally coincided with the basic points of the graph.  from there, it was just a matter of deciding on a scale for the final product and replotting the whole thing from scratch on another sheet.  the fact that there are only two major curves (and a minor third one at the bottom) made it alot easier than i originally thought.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: