OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 12:48:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Makes It Liturgical?  (Read 388 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: April 08, 2011, 07:12:01 PM »

What exactly about liturgical worship makes it liturgical? Having experienced worship in various groups I understand some of the differences, but I also see a lot of similarities. What differentiates liturgical worship from, say, a solemn low-Church Protestant worship service? Smells and bells? Repetition of prayers? Chanting? Sacramental character? ...?

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 07:31:32 PM »

What exactly about liturgical worship makes it liturgical? Having experienced worship in various groups I understand some of the differences, but I also see a lot of similarities. What differentiates liturgical worship from, say, a solemn low-Church Protestant worship service? Smells and bells? Repetition of prayers? Chanting? Sacramental character? ...?

How about re-enacting parts of Scripture as is done during the Orthodox Divine Liturgy, culminating in the Sacrament of the Eucharist (e.g. Communion)?

A. Visible and Perceptible Elements of the Sacrament
B. Invisible Element of the Sacrament
C. The Eucharistic Sacrifice
D. Administration and Communion
E. Order of the Eucharistic Service1

1 Cited in Page 22 of The Liturgy of the Orthodox Church by His Eminence Athenagoras Kokkinakis, Mowbrays, 1979.

Expanding on Item B, by fast forwarding to page 32, while explaining the Eucharistic miracle, the author describes attempts by Protestant rationalists and Roman scholastics to explain the Eucharistic miracle by stating that Protestant rationalists "denied the Holy Spirit the power to convert the physical forms and substance of the elements into the real incarnated Lord and Saviour" while Roman scholastics "borrowed the Aristotelian philosophical term, transubstantiation, resulting in dividing the substance from its accidents."

While there are similarities in worship, continuing the logic of page 32 of the cited source, the Orthodox assert "that it is beyond human intelligence to comprehend and explain the ways of the operation of the Holy Spirit." 

Hence, there is the difference in liturgical worship between Orthodox Christians and everyone else.   Smiley
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 07:50:38 PM »

I'm not sure how correct this is, but it seems a large difference is standardization. We follow pre-prescribed dates with already set prayers and actions etc. There is just the small homily that is changalbe. While protestants may have a set format, there is no set content and it is changed by the whims of the preacher and congregation.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 08:29:27 PM »

Symbolic structure making the invisible worship of heaven visible, and connected through all the ages, and to all places.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:30:46 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
David Garner
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 10:13:20 AM »

Historicity and catholicity.

Tags: