OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 07:47:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Father Corapi put on Admin. Leave After Allegations  (Read 7314 times) Average Rating: 0
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« on: April 08, 2011, 03:32:44 PM »

We were just discussing EWTN on another thread. Many people expressed their apprecitaion for Father John Corapi who is a popular Catholic Evangelist... I was thinking how dissapointed I would be if he was ever found guilty of missconduct... Sometimes I have a bit of Pre-Cognition.
Here is the article. Please pray for this good man.
-----------------------

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/under-god/post/popular-catholic-preacher-placed-on-leave-over-accusations-of--sexual-misconduct/2011/03/22/ABmJMCEB_blog.html

Popular Catholic preacher placed on leave over accusations of sexual misconduct
By Elizabeth Tenety

Popular Catholic preacher Fr. John Corapi has been placed on administrative leave by leaders of his religious order following an accusation of sexual misconduct and drug abuse.

From a report by Catholic News service:

“We have received an allegation that Father Corapi has behaved in a manner unbecoming of a priest and are duty-bound to conduct an investigation into this accusation,” said Father Gerard Sheehan, a spokesman for Father Corapi’s community, the Texas-based Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity. “It is important to keep in mind that this action in no way implies Father Corapi is guilty of the allegation,” Father Sheehan said. “It is equally important to know that, based on the information we have received thus far, the claim of misconduct does not involve minors and does not arise to the level of criminal conduct.”

\"Why were so many Civil War battles fought in National Parks? \"
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 03:39:25 PM »

Here is Father Corapi's statement ( same link as above):

On Ash Wednesday I learned that a former employee sent a three-page letter to several bishops accusing me of everything from drug addiction to multiple sexual exploits with her and several other adult women. There seems to no longer be the need for a complaint to be deemed “credible” in order for Church authorities to pull the trigger on the Church’s procedure, which was in recent years crafted to respond to cases of the sexual abuse of minors. I am not accused of that, but it seems, once again, that they now don’t have to deem the complaint to be credible or not, and it is being applied broadly to respond to all complaints. I have been placed on “administrative leave” as the result of this.

I’ll certainly cooperate with the process, but personally believe that it is seriously flawed, and is tantamount to treating the priest as guilty “just in case”, then through the process determining if he is innocent. The resultant damage to the accused is immediate, irreparable, and serious, especially for someone like myself, since I am so well known. I am not alone in this assessment, as multiple canon lawyers and civil and criminal attorneys have stated publicly that the procedure does grave damage to the accused from the outset, regardless of rhetoric denying this, and has little regard for any form of meaningful due process.

All of the allegations in the complaint are false, and I ask you to pray for all concerned.

Michael L
Priest Michael

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 03:49:46 PM »

Fr. Corapi has made many enemies over the years by avoiding political correctness and saying the truth in a blunt manner. I am sure there are many catholic bishops, preist, and laymen that are all too happy to see this situation. I personally have the otmost respect for him though I obviously disagree with matters of ecclesiology and theology.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:12:28 PM by Michael L » Logged
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 03:53:43 PM »

I could totally hear his voice when I was reading his statement. 

I'm torn because I totally believe what he's saying about the way accused people are damaged in an irreparable way by such accusations but, at the same time, the protocols are in place to protect the larger organization from accusations of obfuscation and harboring criminals.  It really is a Catch-22. 

I certainly hope that these turn out false and, if so, the accuser publicly recants and seeks Fr. Corapi's forgiveness.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 04:23:44 PM »

I remember listening to him in my RC days and found him to be a good witness and inspiring preacher. Now that I am Orthodox, there are some things I see that I have issue with him over, but never in a million years did I see something like this coming. I hope the allegations are false and if so I cannot possibly even begin to fathom why on earth someone would create such a perverse rumor. Does he really make that much money? I say that last bit with some sarcasm because I'm fairly certain he has taken vows of poverty. What a wicked and perverse time we live...

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 05:04:53 PM »

When I use to watch ewtn quite a while back . i never cared to watch his program's , they seemed dry and boring......
They did right by suspending him till thing's get straightened out....Just to be on the Safe side....Better Safe Than Sorry Later on...... police

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 05:08:04 PM »

When I use to watch ewtn quite a while back . i never cared to watch his program's , they seemed dry and boring......
They did right by suspending him till thing's get straightened out....Just to be on the Safe side....Better Safe Than Sorry Later on...... police
I understand that Fr. Corapi has said as much. police

I don't care for watching him on EWTN, but I like listening to him on Relevant Radio. I find him the reverse of boring-he has a voice for radio.

I certainly hope that these turn out false and, if so, the accuser publicly recants and seeks Fr. Corapi's forgiveness.
Amen! Lord have mercy!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 05:10:36 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 05:08:46 PM »

I have also listened to Fr. Corapi quite a few times and there's no denying he's charismatic and preaches the kind of conservatism and traditionalism that makes even Orthodox nod their head in agreement, but I can understand his superiors' acting quickly.  The Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity is not only the "home" of Fr. Corapi, it was also the source of one of Texas' (and I'd say the country's) most infamous sleeze priest - Fr. John Fiala.  Assaulting some at gunpoint and even trying to hire a hit man to kill the teenager that exposed him at his last parish.  http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/article/The-church-and-the-priest-1026650.php  There isn't a level of Hell good enough for him.

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 05:21:08 PM »

He May of Had a better Radio voice ,but watching him on the tv was another story. plus he has that inqusition or puritanical look about him, that gave me the heebee jeebee's.... Grin

I don't care for watching him on EWTN, but I like listening to him on Relevant Radio. I find him the reverse of boring-he has a voice for radio.

Amen! Lord have mercy!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 05:30:03 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica Metropolitanate

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 05:31:37 PM »

I'm just relieved that it is a woman accusing him.

God did not create man equal.  Samuel Colt made man equal.  Blessed be the Peacemaker.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 05:41:43 PM »

Isn't that sad? I had the exact same reaction.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 05:55:31 PM »

This is a shame, I enjoy listening to Father Corapi.  I don't think he deserved to be put on leave until they had substantial evidence, I mean, it isn't like he is being accused of rape or of child molestation.  I could see how in those cases he maybe should be put on leave just in case, but it seems a bit much in his case.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 06:03:20 PM »

This is a shame, I enjoy listening to Father Corapi.  I don't think he deserved to be put on leave until they had substantial evidence, I mean, it isn't like he is being accused of rape or of child molestation.  I could see how in those cases he maybe should be put on leave just in case, but it seems a bit much in his case.

Is there perhaps an atmosphere of "better safe than sorry" in reaction to the previous (much maligned) atmosphere of "Let's just leave things alone while we see how things develop..."?  I think it's a good move. If a police officer or someone else in an authority position was accused of the same, I know I'd want them put on leave until things got straightened out.

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 06:31:09 PM »

This is sad news, that is very hard to believe. I truly hope this is not true. I also have always found him to be a strong Christian witness, Orthodox or not. It really is a tough line to tread on, too cautious or not cautious enough, especially in light of the recent past...

Lord, have mercy!

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 06:58:56 PM »

Isn't that sad? I had the exact same reaction.
Yes, a grown woman. I thought the same thing.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 07:03:36 PM »

He May of Had a better Radio voice ,but watching him on the tv was another story. plus he has that inqusition or puritanical look about him, that gave me the heebee jeebee's.... Grin
He does have an unfortunate resemblance to Anton LaVey. But his voice is heavenly. He'd make a great Russian bass.  He speachs are anything but puuritanical-he once took and answered quite well an answer on whether oral sex was moral-nor inquisitorial-just telling like it is (for the most part-he is weighed down by some Vatican positions).

Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 07:15:20 PM »

Amen! Lord have mercy!
I thought he looked more like Gilbert Gottfried.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 07:26:45 PM »

Amen! Lord have mercy!
I thought he looked more like Gilbert Gottfried.

GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 07:27:18 PM »

Really sad news, indeed.  Before I became Eastern Orthodox, I listened to Fr. Corapi all the time.  Even as an EO, I've tuned him in on occasion.  As an EO, I disagree with some of his theology, I appreciated his frank candor i.e. "Tell it like it is" approach.  May the Lord have mercy upon all those involved.  

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 07:38:07 PM »

The worst case scenario is that he smoked a joint with his girlfriend. Now I know that's still pretty serious considering his vows and the strictness of his preaching. But it also doesnt make him Charles Manson or some perverted pedophile........................ or gay...........

When I first started learning about Christianity I discovered his lectures on EWTN. The series was "Catechism of the Catholic Church with Fr. John Corapi".. It was my first serious exposure to Christian thought. I knew absolutely nothing and I was impressed that it was done in a masculine style.

My dear wife even bought me a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church after a while. I had already discovered Orthodoxy and was looking into it but the differences were too fine print to try to explain to her. So i happily got out my catechism each Sunday night and followed along and read the sections Fr. Corapi pointed to.

... I am a little bummed right now.  

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:38:56 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 07:42:07 PM »

... I am a little bummed right now.  

Me too.  Lord, have mercy on all involved.  May Fr. Corapi be exonerated of these charges.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 08:07:04 PM »

Unfortunately, I think his past is catching up with him.  Either he has fallen back into his own ways (I pray not), or some very dishonest person (like Potifir's wife) is making false accusations knowing his past would give them some credibility.  In either case, he will have a rough ride for a while, and I hope he makes it through it.  The third possibility is retribution for costing some people a heck of a lot of money in a sting operation, using the same theory as above.  Of the three, I favor the last of the three as the most likely.

God did not create man equal.  Samuel Colt made man equal.  Blessed be the Peacemaker.
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 04:08:34 PM »

My mother was so depressed after hearing about Fr. Corapi that she broke down and cried right in front of me (She is dealing with cancer right now and has become quit religious).  She and my aunt used to talk about Fr. Corapi and what a wonderful priest he was and the inspiring sermons that he gave.  I have to admit that he is a powerful preacher who can certainly hold down an audience with his charismatic style (I wish that more priest would take lessons on vocal presentation and preaching from him). 

I'd just try and suspend judgment on this matter until the proper ecclesiastical authorities have dealt with it.  I'm sure that a thorough investigation is now going on to determine what actually happened and how culpable (If at all) Fr Corapi is.  We should just wait and pray that a just verdict is reached and that he can (If possible) Be rehabilitated and go back to his preaching.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 04:45:20 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 07:28:52 PM »

I'd just try and suspend judgment on this matter until the proper ecclesiastical authorities have dealt with it.  I'm sure that a thorough investigation is now going on to determine what actually happened and how culpable (If at all) Fr Corapi is.  We should just wait and pray that a just verdict is reached and that he can (If possible) Be rehabilitated and go back to his preaching.

This is some very good advice.  There is nothing worse than when a person's reputation is destroyed...only to find out later that he was innocent. 

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 07:50:55 PM »

Does that make the crime, if one was committed, "better?"  Of course not.  I know that from his past, Fr. Corapi was involved with drugs and various sexual dalliances.  Though I do not subscribe to his theology, I think he is a powerful voice for good moral conduct. I would hate to see these accusations be confirmed as true.  Lord, have mercy.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 08:54:54 PM »

Does that make the crime, if one was committed, "better?"  Of course not.  I know that from his past, Fr. Corapi was involved with drugs and various sexual dalliances.  Though I do not subscribe to his theology, I think he is a powerful voice for good moral conduct. I would hate to see these accusations be confirmed as true.  Lord, have mercy.

Are you kidding? Yes, it's lots better if any bit of this is true that it was a dalliance with a consenting adult woman rather than some of the things we have heard other RCC Priests have done...

Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 09:50:33 PM »

Well, technically yes (morally, no).  A grown woman violates a bunch of moral laws, but probably no civil laws (and the corresponding lawsuits and the like).  Young boys, well that is another matter as we have seen.  So, I would say "yes" to your question, from the standpoint of a Union official that has to deal with the "lesser of two evils" pretty much all the time.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2011, 09:55:17 PM »

Let's just say that even I wouldn't condone both, I can understand one action and not the other.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
scamandrius
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2011, 09:56:39 PM »

Are you kidding? Yes, it's lots better if any bit of this is true that it was a dalliance with a consenting adult woman rather than some of the things we have heard other RCC Priests have done...

Are you kidding?  You actually rank crimes?  Why can't you just see wrong as wrong?

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »

Okay, I think that most people believe that sin is sin. It's natural to have some sins "sting" us more than others, human as we are. The sins that ring "worse" to me are ones that I struggle with or ones that I have seen hurt the loved ones around me. It's not necessarily fair, but I think that's how we naturally respond to things.

--
--
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2011, 09:59:47 PM »

Are you kidding?  You actually rank crimes?  Why can't you just see wrong as wrong?

I stopped black and white thinking after the age of seven... Yes indeed,IMHO  having a girlfriend is not equivalent to doing little boys... Your mileage may vary.

scamandrius
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2011, 10:07:06 PM »

Does that make the crime, if one was committed, "better?"  Of course not.  I know that from his past, Fr. Corapi was involved with drugs and various sexual dalliances.  Though I do not subscribe to his theology, I think he is a powerful voice for good moral conduct. I would hate to see these accusations be confirmed as true.  Lord, have mercy.

I stopped black and white thinking after the age of seven... Yes indeed,IMHO  having a girlfriend is not equivalent to doing little boys... Your mileage may vary.

Violating your vow of celibacy as a Catholic priest, regardless of whether it was with boys or women, consenting or not, is wrong.  

BTW, congratulations on being so enlightened by the age of 7.  I guess I haven't reached your heights of intellect and capacity to form correct moral judgments even at the age of 34.  I have much to learn from you, I suppose.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 10:07:32 PM by scamandrius » Logged

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2011, 10:09:48 PM »

Does that make the crime, if one was committed, "better?"  Of course not.  I know that from his past, Fr. Corapi was involved with drugs and various sexual dalliances.  Though I do not subscribe to his theology, I think he is a powerful voice for good moral conduct. I would hate to see these accusations be confirmed as true.  Lord, have mercy.

Violating your vow of celibacy as a Catholic priest, regardless of whether it was with boys or women, consenting or not, is wrong.  

BTW, congratulations on being so enlightened by the age of 7.  I guess I haven't reached your heights of intellect and capacity to form correct moral judgments even at the age of 34.  I have much to learn from you, I suppose.

I dont intend to fight over this... if you cant see a difference between pedophilia and sexual relations between consenting adults all on your own, then there is not much more I can think of to say to you.

Good night

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2011, 10:15:37 PM »

I don't think anyone is suggesting that violating a vow of celibacy is alright to do.  Of course it is bad.  And extra-marital sex is wrong regardless of the circumstances.  However, do you really believe it is just as wrong to have sex with someone who has freely consented to as it is to force a child to have sex with you?

ICXCNIKA
High Elder

Faith: Recovering Orthodox though spiritually wounded

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2011, 10:31:11 PM »

Why would his vow be valid? Should we even encourage those outside the Church to keep the vows they make to those that are outside of the Church? Then why would they have a change of heart and answer the calling of the Holy Spirit and enter the Orthodox Church? Not looking for an argument I just don't get it.
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2011, 11:03:50 PM »

Father Corapi is innocent until proven guilty, and I will support him whole-heartedly until then. Given his background story, it seems highly unlikely that he has slipped back into sin. Had he wanted to live a secular life, he could so easily have gotten back into it after he recovered from his drug habit. He is an intelligent, highly-educated man who could have worked his way back to secular success. Smart accountants make good money--especially when they have high-profile professional connections like he has.

What is there to prevent your reputation being ruined in this life? The only thing you have is your good name. If he's innocent, where does he go to reclaim his reputation?

I am discovering that even religious organizations can be terrible pits of greed, sin and envy. Think OCA.

Anyway, I will be utterly amazed if these allegations are true.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2011, 11:08:18 PM »

Why would his vow be valid? Should we even encourage those outside the Church to keep the vows they make to those that are outside of the Church? Then why would they have a change of heart and answer the calling of the Holy Spirit and enter the Orthodox Church? Not looking for an argument I just don't get it.
Um, do you not expect non-Orthodox married couples to keep their vows because they made them outside the Church? That's weird logic.

--
--
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2011, 12:44:37 AM »

Because in my line of work, I have to assign penalties for the crimes (or at least agree to them).  And no, I am not kidding.  I had to deal with two terminations in the last couple of weeks.  We most certainly do take into account what they did, how many times they did it, what were the consequences of the misdeed, and several other factors.  So yes, coming from a real world environment, I certainly do rank crimes.  And I would certainly consider an affair with a consenting woman to be less of an offense than sexually assaulting a minor altar boy.  One is giving in to a natural temptation, and the other is just simply sick.

To be clear, I believe Fr. Corapi is innocent until proven guilty, and as I posted above, I would not be one bit surprised if he was framed.

Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2011, 12:59:44 AM »

I held on to my black and white thinking a bit longer.  The realities of sitting on an ecclesiastical court in one church, and having to defend people as a Union Steward for many years has stripped me of that luxury.  I guess that I have learned something along the way.  The last time Management had to discipline one of their own (believe me, are rare occurrence), the Labor Relations people suggested that plant management talk to me about it since I had a lot of experience with these things and had a reputation with both sides for being fair.  The plant manager was surprised that I did not suggest to fire all three of them (he was considering it).  I suggested a written warning for two (they were doing their job and made an honest mistake.  Perfectly clean records prior), and one day off for the other (perfect record and honest mistake, but he was performing a task that he knew darn well he should not have been doing.  In other words, willful violation of plant procedures (terminable offense) mitigated due to his record and the fact that he had good intentions when he did it).  Often times, Managers use discipline as punishment, or to relieve frustration.  The Union and Labor Relations see discipline first as an attempt to correct behavior and salvage the employee.  However, sometimes an employee is not salvageable, and sometimes due to the seriousness of the infraction, a clear message has to be sent to others that wish to try it.  Black and white people do not last long in my environment.

BTW - one will find that the canons of the Church are written very much along these lines.  I did not learn my job through any wisdom of my own (other than paying attention what was working and what was not), but studying the canons during the time that I was very black and white about my Orthodoxy - another thing that fell by the wayside. 

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2011, 01:34:46 AM »

The state's sure does: if I understand correctly, nothing criminal occured even IF (and that's a big IF) the allegations are true.  If it had been little boys, that would be a different story.  In fact, the only real super moral problem (aside from fornication, which is amelioratable, i.e. marriage) is that Fr. Corapi took a vow of celibacy.

There's wrong, and then there is compounded wrong.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2011, 03:58:27 AM »

I thought he was being ironic . . . guess not.

Good to be on the same page with you for once. Heck it didn't even know there was another page outside silly kaffeeklatsch art student discussions.

So jaywalking and raping and murdering a five year old are the same?

Weird.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2011, 03:08:32 PM »

Because in my line of work, I have to assign penalties for the crimes (or at least agree to them).  And no, I am not kidding.  I had to deal with two terminations in the last couple of weeks.  We most certainly do take into account what they did, how many times they did it, what were the consequences of the misdeed, and several other factors.  So yes, coming from a real world environment, I certainly do rank crimes.  And I would certainly consider an affair with a consenting woman to be less of an offense than sexually assaulting a minor altar boy.  One is giving in to a natural temptation, and the other is just simply sick.

To be clear, I believe Fr. Corapi is innocent until proven guilty, and as I posted above, I would not be one bit surprised if he was framed.

Ditto on your last statement... I understand due to his background that such an allegation is plausible but I bet this was an attempt to frame him and to shut him up.

I am watching for any news and will post it as events unfold.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 03:09:52 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

scamandrius
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2011, 04:39:39 PM »

I dont intend to fight over this... if you cant see a difference between pedophilia and sexual relations between consenting adults all on your own, then there is not much more I can think of to say to you.

Good night

I do see a difference.  But that is NOT even the issue here in this context.   I don't  know why even it was brought up. 

Good day.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2011, 10:13:56 PM »

Here is a statement that was just released by EWTN:

http://patrickmadrid.com/ewtn-releases-new-statement-about-dropping-fr-corapis-programs/

To all EWTN Radio programming partners and hosts:

We are aware that many of our supporters are disappointed in EWTN’s decision to remove Father John Corapi’s programs from the Network during his administrative leave.  We too are greatly disappointed that EWTN had to make this difficult decision. We can  assure you that it was made with much prayer and careful discernment.

The fact is that Father John’s own religious community has placed him on administrative leave and his capacity to function publicly as a priest has been suspended during the investigation of the charges against him.  This was officially communicated to all of the bishops of the country in a statement saying that, “…Fr. Corapi has been placed on administrative leave and has had all of his priestly faculties removed.”

In EWTN’s thirty years of existence, the Network has never knowingly aired programming featuring any priest whose priestly faculties have been suspended. The Network has always responded consistently and immediately in such situations by removing such programs from the air.  We are obliged to do so in obedience to the discipline of the Church.

Father John has long been a friend of EWTN and many of us have worked closely with him throughout the years.  He is a tremendously gifted preacher who has led many souls to Christ.  We are doing exactly as he has asked and supporting him and everyone involved in the situation in the best way possible, through our prayers.

It is also our prayer that this matter will be brought to a speedy resolution so that Father John’s programs can be returned to the airwaves.

Thank you for your understanding.  May God bless you.

EWTN Global Catholic Network

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: