OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 07:33:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Recent ( blaspemous?) Roman Catholic Liturgy  (Read 1216 times) Average Rating: 0
finbar
Finbar

Faith: orthodox
Jurisdiction: antiochian

« on: April 08, 2011, 08:23:50 AM »

I wonder if I could have your opinions of a youtube video I was sent of a recent USA Roman Catholic Liturgy. I am now Orthodox and very happily so, I have found my spiritual home, but nevertheless I found this deeply disturbing and at times so ludicrous I could do little else except laugh at it....Is a distortion of Liturgy to this extent the work of Satan? I was interested in the use in a later stage of the video of some African chanting and dancing and wondered whether anyone of the parishioners featured here had the slightest idea of what they were actually saying... I ws also struck by the age of some of the participants many of whom presumably had travelled such a long way from their spiritual uprbringing that they saw nothing all incongruous about 10 foot puppets lumbering around in the middle of a Mass
To be fair I showed it to an Opus Dei RC priest and he nearly had a fit...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh_nqtp3VrU&feature=related

"Nothing troubles the man who is given over to the will of God.....He knows that the Lord in His mercy is solicitous for us.....But the proud and the self-willed do not want to surrender to God's will.." St Siluan the Athonite
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 08:29:18 AM »

I think the Catholic who uploaded the video agrees with you.  Wink

The only thing the African drums part.  The Ethiopian Church has a unique liturgy with the use of a certain type of drum and a "dance".  I'm not comparing it to this one here, since I agree this one is more like a concert/show than a liturgical prayer.  At the very least, parishioners who do pray should pray with what they know and understand, and not randomly dance to some African mumbo jumbo in a haphazard fashion.

But if I were to guess which Church this is, I wouldn't guess it would be Roman Catholic.  I thought Episcopalians enjoy some sort of "creativity" in the liturgy.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:41:36 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 08:31:20 AM »

. . . a recent USA Roman Catholic Liturgy.

2008 -- recent?
finbar
Finbar

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 08:38:31 AM »

I think most would consider 36 months ago in the context of approaching 2000 years of Liturgical life fairly recent...

"Nothing troubles the man who is given over to the will of God.....He knows that the Lord in His mercy is solicitous for us.....But the proud and the self-willed do not want to surrender to God's will.." St Siluan the Athonite
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 08:48:17 AM »

I think most would consider 36 months ago in the context of approaching 2000 years of Liturgical life fairly recent...

Good point. Smiley I just thought I'm going to see a Liturgy that happaned a few days/weeks/months ago.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:16:50 AM by Michał » Logged
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 08:50:01 AM »

With the "bad Vestments" guy, I have to ask, "WHAT THE HELL IS THE DEAL WITH GIANT PUPPETS DURING CHRISTIAN WORSHIP?!!

finbar
Finbar

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 08:56:42 AM »

I liked the comment on Bad Vestments that said wheres the puppet-oclasts when you need em...ha ha  Smiley

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 05:15:04 PM »

If I was there, I would have had to leave the Church, laughing, screaming, and crying!  Grin

My goodness! That is AWFUL. I have never seen that in an RCC. I've heard that this happens, but I thank God that my priests didn't let this into the Church!

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 05:54:08 PM »

This is old. I remember my friends and I watching this thing two or three years ago. I couldn't help but laugh. As you can see, it was held in some sort of convention center. This was part of Call to Action, a schismatic and heretical group that is banned from Catholic Church property.

As you can see from the audience in the video, they were young once---in the Sixties!
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 06:00:39 PM »

"Sing a new church into being." They can sing that all the way into the nursing home.
finbar
Finbar

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 06:57:49 PM »

Lubeltri, writing as a cradle Catholic who left the RC church here in Ireland for Orthodoxy, I can sadly but
with some conviction confirm that the liturgical abuses of the likes of 'Call to Action'
and their ilk are not 'old', thereby implying a thing of the past, but milder versions are still
very much part of Roman Catholic masses here in Europe and all over the world...If you think
that this has been purged from mainstream RC liturgy you are either limiting your experience of
Liturgies you attend or deluding youself...Here in Ireland and in this small town I was particularly uncomfortable with the
packed 25 minute Saturday night 'vigil' Mass, this 'counts' as a Sunday Mass obligation, and the only vigil
being observed is the time ticking away to the first pint or one of Simon Cowells appalling talent shows....
Are the scenes in these videos also so outdated and universally replaced by sound RC Liturgical practice?
I doubt it.
worldwide ....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeP_EdQc5so&feature=related
France....   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JkUzIyN7Z8&feature=related
California....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khco_N-uEOY&feature=related
Vienna Austria    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjR4ThHcx0o&feature=related

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 07:19:08 PM »

This is old. I remember my friends and I watching this thing two or three years ago. I couldn't help but laugh. As you can see, it was held in some sort of convention center. This was part of Call to Action, a schismatic and heretical group that is banned from Catholic Church property.

As you can see from the audience in the video, they were young once---in the Sixties!
When were they banned?  They have a big sign on the door of the parish house and school of the local parish "Our Lady of Mercy."

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 02:54:07 AM »

I wonder if Montanus's oracles danced like that woman.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 01:00:14 PM »

Lubeltri, writing as a cradle Catholic who left the RC church here in Ireland for Orthodoxy, I can sadly but
with some conviction confirm that the liturgical abuses of the likes of 'Call to Action'
and their ilk are not 'old', thereby implying a thing of the past, but milder versions are still
very much part of Roman Catholic masses here in Europe and all over the world...If you think
that this has been purged from mainstream RC liturgy you are either limiting your experience of
Liturgies you attend or deluding youself...Here in Ireland and in this small town I was particularly uncomfortable with the
packed 25 minute Saturday night 'vigil' Mass, this 'counts' as a Sunday Mass obligation, and the only vigil
being observed is the time ticking away to the first pint or one of Simon Cowells appalling talent shows....
Are the scenes in these videos also so outdated and universally replaced by sound RC Liturgical practice?
I doubt it.
worldwide ....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeP_EdQc5so&feature=related
France....   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JkUzIyN7Z8&feature=related
California....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khco_N-uEOY&feature=related
Vienna Austria    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjR4ThHcx0o&feature=related

I meant that the video is old. It has been going around Catholic online circles for several years before you people seem to have discovered it.

I've personally never witnessed masses like those in those links. If I did, I would do what any sane Catholic would do---walk out, report it to the bishop, go to another parish, and pray for the poor souls responsible for it.

As for the liturgical abuses of sinful people having ANY effect on my conviction that the Catholic Church is the Church founded by Jesus Christ, piffle piffle. My faith does not depend on other people.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 01:01:45 PM »

When were they banned?  They have a big sign on the door of the parish house and school of the local parish "Our Lady of Mercy."

PM me the info on the parish and I will report it to the local bishop. They should not be meeting on any church property.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 02:38:21 PM »

I saw a similar video and it was Call to Action.

Are you sure that this video is not one of their clown masses?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Saint Iaint
This Poster Has Ignored Multiple Requests to Behave Better
High Elder

Faith: Once Delivered

The Truth Shall Be Reviled

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 05:07:41 PM »

Well, this might be 'old' to some but it is still 'new' to others!

I had never seen this before... but I had seen similar 'Liturgies' (I think maybe the 'clown liturgy' someone mentioned above) and there does seem to be some underlying pattern here... As demonstrated by the link provided by Keble:

I liked THIS comment by Leslie at the above link:

As a former RC, I read this post, as well as the one on the opening worship service of the Presbyterians, and laughed until I cried. . . and crying is the appropriate emotion for these travesties of ritual action. Indeed, there is something to be said for Adoration, the most important being, "Be still and know that I AM"

What are these 'puppet-people' thinking?

Is this coming from the same unoriginal source? Is this (along with much of the other 'Christian' nonsense going on these days) being done on purpose to demean and discredit 'Christianity' in the eyes of the people?

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute...

Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not giving heed to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn from the truth.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 08:46:43 PM »

Wow, just watching that gave me a headache. What in the world does that have to do with worshipping God and salvation?
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: