OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 04:04:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One more question?  (Read 391 times) Average Rating: 0
Rdunbar123

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: April 07, 2011, 04:30:56 PM »

I like what I see in the Antiochian WR. Before I commit, what if the church I plan on attending (St. Paul's in Houston ) would close for whatever reason after I converted from RC, could I attend any other OC such as the Greek as a full member in communion. The reason I ask is I have seen some fairly nasty posts on this and other sites against the WR . Both sides sides please comment
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 04:40:37 PM »

The Western Rite Vicariate is a canonical branch of the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese in communion with the Greek Patriarchate of Antioch and the rest of the autocephalous churches of the Orthodox Catholic Church. An Orthodox Christian is an Orthodox Christian, and you are free to commune at any canonical Orthodox parish.

Whether people like the WR or not, is quite unimportant. If your parish is in the Antiochian Church, its canonical...period. Occasionally, there are times were concelebration is disallowed for certain, usually very extreme, reasons. As far as I know, none of that is the case for the Antiochian Orthodox, including their Western Rite.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:41:59 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 04:43:12 PM »

I like what I see in the Antiochian WR. Before I commit, what if the church I plan on attending (St. Paul's in Houston ) would close for whatever reason after I converted from RC, could I attend any other OC such as the Greek as a full member in communion. The reason I ask is I have seen some fairly nasty posts on this and other sites against the WR . Both sides sides please comment

I'm personally ambivalent about the WR but there's no question that if you are received in a WR parish belonging to Antioch (or ROCOR) then you are an Orthodox Christian who can attend and commune in any Orthodox church.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: