OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 11:40:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Man burns book, pigs sprout wings…what are we coming to?  (Read 2000 times) Average Rating: 0
Seraphim98
High Elder

« on: April 05, 2011, 09:28:27 PM »

Read this article http://www.examiner.com/american-politics-in-vancouver/united-methodists-promise-to-demolish-their-churches-each-time-a-quran-is-burned then the thread title will make sense…one just has to wonder what if there is an "accounting" error and they destroy too many of their own churches to compensate?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:32:34 PM by Seraphim98 » Logged
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:33:37 PM »

That is WAY extreme. However, just because I think that Pastor Jones is a [fill in the blank] and that he shouldn't have burned the Qur'an doesn't mean that I am being "politically correct." The Methodist Church has the right idea, in theory, but tearing down their churches is absolutely insane. Do they have some wallets that we don't know about?

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 09:41:02 PM »

You know, I would have never considered burning a Koran before....

Now it just seems like a really good idea.  The less of these mainline Unitarian-in-sheep's clothing "churches" around the better.

Anyone know where I can get Korans in bulk?  I'm thinking pork barbecue while I'm at it, if I'm going to desecrate a religion, might as well go all out.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:42:33 PM by FormerReformer » Logged

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 11:06:27 PM »

That's moronic.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 11:32:08 PM »

Now it just seems like a really good idea.  The less of these mainline Unitarian-in-sheep's clothing "churches" around the better.

Anyone know where I can get Korans in bulk?  I'm thinking pork barbecue while I'm at it, if I'm going to desecrate a religion, might as well go all out.

Not a bad idea. Let's see if we can get the Episcopalians and the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Chruch in America), the UCC (united Church of Christ), the PCUSA (PResbyterian Church of the USA) to also do this.  If this is the way to get rid of heretical churches, I'm all for it.  Maybe if we burn a few copies of Pope John Paul II"s Ut unum sint maybe the same will happen to Catholic parishes! Tongue

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 11:38:10 PM »

That's moronic.

+ 1.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 11:52:55 PM »

So what are the United Methodists going to do every time a Muslim kills someone for burning a Koran?
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 11:56:40 PM »

....burn 10 korans per human sacrifice?  ...and then they'll kill 100 people....and he'll burn 1,000 books....and then.....

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 11:59:23 PM »

There's lots of liberal idiocy going around on this one. I had a friend on Facebook try to tell me that burning the Qur'an is morally equivalent to the KKK burning a cross on a dark-skinned person's lawn.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:59:52 PM by deusveritasest » Logged

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 12:33:35 AM »

Wow.  Just wow.

I mean, I am opposed to burning the Quran.  I am not a Muslims and do not believe that Islam is the true faith, but i don't see a reason to go about disrespecting people's beliefs so incredibly much.  I am very far from being a Communist, yet don't go about burning the complete works of Marx.  However, this is patently absurd.  Now, if people were burning down mosques, I could see how maybe you would get the idea that you ought to destroy one of your churches to stand in solidarity with the Muslims, but they are burning a book...not a building.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 12:51:30 AM »

Not a bad idea. Let's see if we can get the Episcopalians and the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Chruch in America), the UCC (united Church of Christ), the PCUSA (PResbyterian Church of the USA) to also do this.  If this is the way to get rid of heretical churches, I'm all for it.  Maybe if we burn a few copies of Pope John Paul II"s Ut unum sint maybe the same will happen to Catholic parishes! Tongue
hm.....if only we could build an Orthodox Church for every Protestant Church that is demolished?  (that'd "get some butts in the seats"!)

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 02:05:14 AM »

There's lots of liberal idiocy going around on this one. I had a friend on Facebook try to tell me that burning the Qur'an is morally equivalent to the KKK burning a cross on a dark-skinned person's lawn.  Roll Eyes
You should ask your friend if he supports killing random white people in retaliation for isolated instances of cross burning. Even if we accept the two are equivalent, the response isn't.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 03:51:41 AM »

You should ask your friend if he supports killing random white people in retaliation for isolated instances of cross burning. Even if we accept the two are equivalent, the response isn't.

I don't think that they are morally equivalent. Which makes it even more insane that the burning of crosses was actually more heinous than the burning of the Qur'an and yet the response to the latter is so much more extreme.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 08:10:55 AM »

Has it occurred to any of you deep political and religious thinkers out there who are so eager to burn and kill that the burning of Korans by hot headed Americans puts our fellow Orthodox Christians, both EO's and OO's living among Muslims in the mid-east and elsewhere in the Muslim world at risk of physical harm and harm to their homes and temples?  Lord have mercy. It's Lent people, Orthodoxy expects better from you. Christ demands it.

Many decent, hard working Americans were terrorized for many years by the actions of the KKK who viewed themselves as vigilant protectors of their view of Christianity and 'Americanism'. Those who burn the Koran and preach hate are indeed spiritual descendants of those white hooded fools. It wasn't just African Americans who suffered at their hands.Many of our Orthodox and Catholic grandparents felt the cold hand of the fear and poison they spread. Through the 1920's they conducted campaigns of cross burning and terror in cities and towns across the whole of the US in an effort to instill fear among the immigrants who came here seeking a better life. Learn some history before you pontificate. http://www1.assumption.edu/ahc/1920s/eugenics/klan.html
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 09:26:13 AM »

Has it occurred to any of you deep political and religious thinkers out there who are so eager to burn and kill that the burning of Korans by hot headed Americans puts our fellow Orthodox Christians, both EO's and OO's living among Muslims in the mid-east and elsewhere in the Muslim world at risk of physical harm and harm to their homes and temples?  Lord have mercy. It's Lent people, Orthodoxy expects better from you. Christ demands it.
THANK YOU for that entire post.

I can't believe that Christian people are actually supporting burning the Qur'an. Maybe if you want to do it in your own backyard (for pete's sake, don't call the media, PLEASE), but seriously, is that Christian to do so? I don't recall Jesus saying anything about that.

And to put your own brothers and sisters at risk? Just to prove that there are violent Muslims that will kill? We all know that already. Is it 'fun' to instigate them?

Ugh, it makes me SO ANGRY.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 10:02:36 AM »

Sorry, podkarpatska, I don't see a moral equivalency between burning a Koran in protest at one's own church and lighting a flaming cross on the lawn of someone else.  For one the latter is a form of vandalism.

Of course, I don't support such an act, burning any book is a backward show of ignorance.  Further, a group of Americans burning a Koran on American soil is a cowardly act of protest and ego-building publicity.  If they wanted to show fortitude and make a real statement they'd go over to Iran, burn the Koran there and accept the consequences.

It is indeed a shame that the actions of narrow-minded Americans have such deadly consequences for any Westerners and Christians who live in Muslim nations.  But let's place the blame squarely where it lies- in the actions of narrow-minded Muslims who would use any excuse to go off on a violent riot against those Christians who still live in their nations.  If a white American were to accidentally sneeze in the direction of an obviously Muslim person and it were caught on film there would be a reaction in the Muslim world.

You have to admit that there is something wrong when we're cringing every time a Koran and Zippo come within a few feet, when every day we read of Christian martyrs during the time of the Roman persecutions who were not afraid to smash idols and even temples, knowing full well of any possible consequences.

As far as the United Methodists go, if they are indeed willing to raze their own churches every time a Koran is burned, more power to them.  It shows us what belief they really respect.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:02:58 AM by FormerReformer » Logged

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 10:32:11 AM »

Be carefull about the BBQ.  The Koran burns with a green flame, which is all of the demons coming out.  I would not want all those demons getting into the pig that I was roasting.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 10:40:51 AM »

Be carefull about the BBQ.  The Koran burns with a green flame, which is all of the demons coming out.  I would not want all those demons getting into the pig that I was roasting.

Good point.  And we know how much escaping demons love hiding in pigs.  laugh

podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 10:48:36 AM »

Before everyone works themselves up in a Salem-like frenzy about our United Methodist brothers, you ought to check your sources. The post referenced is clearly a lame attempt at satire or the product of a deluded conspiracy believer. It was posted by a blogger on an Examiner site and carried by jihadwatch and it exploded across the conspiracy-minded, right-wing blog world. Check the names cited, the place claimed and the dates. It is B*** S***!

Unless you really believe that all of the rest of the media in the United States, including Foxnews, is engaged in some dark, Satanic conspiracy to hide this 'news' from the American public, just disregard the same and consider the source.

And yes, I stand by my statements regarding the Klan and American history. Perhaps the antics of the few current day fools who try to emulate the antics of Bedford Forrest and the original Klan are more in the nature of vandals, but the historic truth of the behavior of the Klan from Reconstruction through the lynching era in the American South bears  a great deal of similarity to the acts of religious extremists who use hate and violence to expand their influence.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:57:07 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 10:50:26 AM »

LOL, I was actually checking the sources when I first read the article and my computer got a virus. Guess that should have told me what I wanted to know, huh?  police

I work for a publication that insists on using Examiner articles. I ALWAYS throw them out.

--
--
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 11:08:51 AM »

Before everyone works themselves up in a Salem-like frenzy about our United Methodist brothers, you ought to check your sources. The post referenced is clearly a lame attempt at satire or the product of a deluded conspiracy believer. It was posted by a blogger on an Examiner site and carried by jihadwatch and it exploded across the conspiracy-minded, right-wing blog world. Check the names cited, the place claimed and the dates. It is B*** S***!

Unless you really believe that all of the rest of the media in the United States, including Foxnews, is engaged in some dark, Satanic conspiracy to hide this 'news' from the American public, just disregard the same and consider the source.

And yes, I stand by my statements regarding the Klan and American history. Perhaps the antics of the few current day fools who try to emulate the antics of Bedford Forrest and the original Klan are more in the nature of vandals, but the historic truth of the behavior of the Klan from Reconstruction through the lynching era in the American South bears  a great deal of similarity to the acts of religious extremists who use hate and violence to expand their influence.

Actually, better than BS, it's a jihadwatch April Fool's Day joke: http://www.scrollpost.com/blog/2011/04/04/life-imitates-parody

podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 11:13:54 AM »

Actually, better than BS, it's a jihadwatch April Fool's Day joke: http://www.scrollpost.com/blog/2011/04/04/life-imitates-parody

It points out that we have all become conditioned to either instinctively accept or instinctively object to anything floating on the internet as being either 'true' or the opposite. The impact of reducing all issues to simplistic right/wrong absolutes coupled with the 24 hour news cycle and 24 hour cable'news' on contemporary affairs has really impacted all of us as we become accustomed to react rather than think. I plead guilty!
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 11:21:48 AM »

A few years ago, when I started writing, I accidentally typed in aljazeera.com one day (it looks like the site is down now!) and I encountered this hateful website talking about the Israeli conspiracy. I've watched Al-Jazeera in Arabic and English AND I studied the Middle East for years, and I actually believed that Al-Jazeera had switched up its reporting style and became radicalized for an entire afternoon. When I got home from work, I was like, "Hey, wait a second. That can't be Al-Jazeera."

I reported it to my editor later and she couldn't stop laughing. This proliferation of news sources is going to bite all of us in the tuz somehow.

--
--
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 11:43:38 AM »

A few years ago, when I started writing, I accidentally typed in aljazeera.com one day (it looks like the site is down now!) and I encountered this hateful website talking about the Israeli conspiracy. I've watched Al-Jazeera in Arabic and English AND I studied the Middle East for years, and I actually believed that Al-Jazeera had switched up its reporting style and became radicalized for an entire afternoon. When I got home from work, I was like, "Hey, wait a second. That can't be Al-Jazeera."

I reported it to my editor later and she couldn't stop laughing. This proliferation of news sources is going to bite all of us in the tuz somehow.

Words lose meaning when they are abused . 'News source' comes to mind as an example and we do need to be most careful in these days of the internet and youtube.

Let's watch our language ladies & gent's.  Serb1389. General Fora Moderator  
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:08:19 PM by serb1389 » Logged
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »

Mea Culpa. It never occurred to me that it was a fake story. A friend of mine had mentioned it online and I just took it for granted the link was legit, as I am sure he did.  Live and learn. 
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 04:47:54 PM »

Read this article http://www.examiner.com/american-politics-in-vancouver/united-methodists-promise-to-demolish-their-churches-each-time-a-quran-is-burned then the thread title will make sense…one just has to wonder what if there is an "accounting" error and they destroy too many of their own churches to compensate?

This has to be the height of liberal lunacy?  Just how infested are so called "mainline" Christian denominations with insane leftist anyway?

What next, merging Muslims and Christians together into some type of "super-religion of peace".  Outrageous apostasy!!!

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 04:51:07 PM »

Robb, see replies #18 and #20: the story was an April Fool's Day joke that got picked up by a few news outlets not in on the joke.

Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 04:51:34 PM »

Okay, I now see that this stories a fake.   However, so many people would not have taken it seriously at first glance if there was not a sense that something along these lines really could be pulled off by a mainline denomination.  After all, groups like the Methodist and even the Vatican have said and done some outragous liberal acts over the last few decades in order to be seen as tolerant to the world and it's varied creeds and ideas.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:52:05 PM by Robb » Logged

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 05:45:49 PM »

You have to admit that there is something wrong when we're cringing every time a Koran and Zippo come within a few feet, when every day we read of Christian martyrs during the time of the Roman persecutions who were not afraid to smash idols and even temples, knowing full well of any possible consequences.

So did the missionaries in the harsh conditions of northwestern Europe. St Boniface chopped down the trees the Germans worshipped. St Willibrord slaughtered and ate the Frisians' sacred cows, and baptized people in a spring they worshipped.

We shouldn't incite people for spite (especially in our own backyard, that is egoism as someone pointed out), but we also shouldn't say that destroying pagan religious items is necessarily and automatically wrong. Sometimes that technique has a place, when used with discernment.
Tags: APRIL FOOL! Methodists  Quran  church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: