OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 10:14:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Date of Annunciation (re: Armenians)  (Read 676 times) Average Rating: 0
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« on: April 07, 2011, 03:27:20 AM »

This is actually a good time to be expecting, since the Holy Mother of God herself was expecting at this time of year:

Upon the Pontifical order of His Holiness Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians, the Feast of the Annunciation to the Virgin Mary was proclaimed as Day of Blessing of Motherhood and Beauty.

On April 7, all Armenian churches will conduct a special blessing service for women anticipating motherhood, the Information Services of the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin said.

http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2011/04/special-blessing-service-for-women-on-april-7/

I have the calendar for the Western Diocese and was noticing earlier than the Annunciation was dated for April 7th, which surprised me as the Armenian church seems to usually be on the Gregorian calendar, and in the past I have seen April 7th being the old calendar date and March 25th as the new calendar date. Could some of the resident Armenians (or really anyone else who knows) explain why the Armenian church commemorates the Annunciation on April 7th rather than March 25th? And what is done in Jerusalem? Is it on April 7th or April 20th (13 days later than the rest like with Theophany)?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 08:21:45 PM »

I guess it is because we celebrate Christmas on January 6.  April 7 would be nine months before.  I assume that in Jerusalem the date would be April 20.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 08:42:19 PM »

I'm a little uncertain about this, because non-Armenians on the old calendar celebrate the Nativity on January 7th, but still celebrate the Annunciation on April 7th. I realize that's only a discrepancy of one day, but given how much focus I have seen on the significance of an exact nine month difference, one doing exactly nine months and Armenians doing one day less than nine months seems sort of suspicious.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 09:22:23 PM »

Wouldn't April 7 to January 7 be nine months and one day?

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 09:37:23 PM »

Wouldn't April 7 to January 7 be nine months and one day?

Not the way I'm thinking about it.

A whole interval period of time, whether it be a day, week, month, or year, being completed will be accomplished at the same point in time, but a day, week, month, or year later. So 3PM January 7 (for instance) is one month after 3 PM December 7. Using this reasoning, I would think that April 7 to January 7 would be the interval that is nine months.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 10:20:28 PM »

I guess Armenians think of it differently.   Smiley

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 10:42:22 PM »

I suppose it could be that simple.

Tags: Armenian Church OO calendars 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: