OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 08:08:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weddings Proposals Should Always Be Done In Private  (Read 771 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

theologian by day, bard by night

« on: April 06, 2011, 08:39:24 PM »

Very public wedding proposal goes very, very badly wrong

A Chinese woman's public proposal went slightly awry when her boyfriend turned her down in front of dozens of onlookers.

After sending her boyfriend a message to come and meet her, the woman in question climbed on to the top of her car holding a bunch of roses.

On the windscreen two boards displayed the words 'Marry Me'.

However, when her boyfriend arrived his reply surprised the large crowd that had gathered - because he turned her down...
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 08:48:22 PM »

I always think that people who propose in public are asking for humiliation!

My husband was 100% sure that I would say yes, and he was STILL nervous. I thought he was going to propose to me at one point (he kept dropping hints, I thought) and we had a screaming match after it didn't happen. He said, "I'm going to ask you this year, but I won't tell you when. I want to make this a surprise."

He was THAT sure that I was going to say yes and he decided NOT to do it in public. He was also so nervous that I was THIS CLOSE to picking a fight because he was behaving so distantly that day and he kept leaving the restaurant to answer phone calls (of course, everyone was calling to ask him if he had proposed already).

When my uncle proposed to my aunt, I actually hid behind the couch when he proposed. There's something so scary about the possibility of rejection, never mind when an audience is watching!

ETA: Dude is an idiot. He should have said yes and told her in private to spare her! It wasn't like he didn't love her or want to marry her. Stoopid!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 08:49:58 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 09:06:48 PM »

Wait...women can propose?

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 09:09:53 PM »

My wife did. Grin
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 09:12:56 PM »

Good for her!

Were you surprised?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 09:15:50 PM »

Indeed I was. Especially since it was only 2 1/2 months into the relationship, and I lived 90 miles away from her at the time. Shocked I think we both knew that we fit each other well (which means that no one else would put up with us, lol). 9-10 months later we were married. Smiley
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 09:19:46 PM »

Wow...

I guess I would be like, "Baby, of course I wanna marry you.  But isn't that my cue?"

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 09:28:46 PM »

...it's just that you guys take too long to pop the question. 

Sometimes, when a girl knows it's right....she gotta act!

I think this is why so many couples live out of wedlock.  The woman would LOVE to marry her man, but, the man doesn't ask....and she thinks it's not her place to ask...so, she waits...and three kids later....she's still waiting....

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »

I used to work at an ice skating rink and every day we'd get some idiot who thought that he was the first in the world to do that whole "pretend I can't skate, fall down, and while she's 'helping me up' pop the question".  We'd PRAY for at least one girl to say "no".  Never happened   Sad

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 09:36:46 PM »

I used to work at an ice skating rink and every day we'd get some idiot who thought that he was the first in the world to do that whole "pretend I can't skate, fall down, and while she's 'helping me up' pop the question".  We'd PRAY for at least one girl to say "no".  Never happened   Sad

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 09:39:21 PM »

I think this is why so many couples live out of wedlock.  The woman would LOVE to marry her man, but, the man doesn't ask....and she thinks it's not her place to ask...so, she waits...and three kids later....she's still waiting....

ya well, I mean, for me personally and to each his own...not against anyone here, but 2 and a half months for me isn't enough. 

But in the vicinity of a year, maybe, I guess one is ready to say, "Ya, you're definitely the one I want to spend eternity with."

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 09:41:58 PM »

I suspect this is happening more and more nowadays. Before I proposed to the woman I eventually married, I had received two marriage proposals, which were turned down, of course. Both were done in private, which is the ONLY way to do so since the other person may also need to do some thinking and may not need or want any distractions.

I used to work at an ice skating rink and every day we'd get some idiot who thought that he was the first in the world to do that whole "pretend I can't skate, fall down, and while she's 'helping me up' pop the question".

Yeesh! How cheesy!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 09:45:01 PM »

No..but they can open up your calendar book and point to the day before their Birthday and tell you that's your deadline.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 09:47:23 PM »

ya well, I mean, for me personally and to each his own...not against anyone here, but 2 and a half months for me isn't enough. 

But in the vicinity of a year, maybe, I guess one is ready to say, "Ya, you're definitely the one I want to spend eternity with."

One of the best episodes of Curb dealt with the bolded remark when Larry and Cheryl were going to renew their vows and Cheryl wanted an "throughout eternity" clause put in instead of "till death do we part".

Much lulz. I miss Curb

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 09:49:21 PM »

No..but they can open up your calendar book and point to the day before their Birthday and tell you that's your deadline.

ROFL!!!!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: