OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 06:26:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book of Common Prayer- Orthodox Use  (Read 5397 times) Average Rating: 0
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2011, 05:15:49 PM »

I was wondering something. After using this prayer book for a while now, where's the ninth hour? Evensong is basically Vespers, and Compline is Compline, so, what's up?

The Saint Colman Prayer Book (http://elyforum.yuku.com/sreply/1206/ROCOR-WRITE-SAINT-COLEMAN-PRAYER-BOOK), a ROCOR-WR prayer book based on the 1549 BCP has:
1) the Office of Terce,
2) the Office of Sext,
3) the Office of Matins,
4) the Office of Evensong,
5) the Office of Prime,
6) the Midday Office and the Angelus,
7) the Office of Compline,
8) the Office of Lauds,
9) the Office of None.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:16:08 PM by Michał » Logged
Christopher McAvoy
Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
Elder

Faith: orthodóxis, atque cathólice et apostólice fídei
Jurisdiction: Latin Catholic from the 12th c.

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2011, 01:52:10 AM »

"Someone put up a side by side comparison of the Psalm 50 (David James', Coverdale, KJV, and HTM) over at Monachos.net and there were some significant departures from Coverdale, which I suspect David James felt necessary to reflect the Septuagint text. "

Thats the very reason I so much prefer the Douay Rheims 1610 psalms. They have the literal qualities that David james made and coverdale as it originally is typically lacks.

I ought to purchase Mr. James work and see what i think.

Psalm 50 was one of the very psalms I was most concerned about having more literal correct translations of.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:52:47 AM by Christopher McAvoy » Logged

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot
Christopher McAvoy
Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
Elder

Faith: orthodóxis, atque cathólice et apostólice fídei
Jurisdiction: Latin Catholic from the 12th c.

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2011, 02:28:33 AM »

Doauy-Rheims Psalter examples to compare to Mr. James examples:

Ps 55:7 - (1610) They will inhabit and keep secret: they will observe my heel.
          (1752) They will dwell and hide themselves, and mark my steps.

Ps 106:27 - (1610) They were troubled, and were moved as a drunken man: and all their Wisdom was devoured.
            (1752) They were troubled, and reeled like a drunken man, and all their wisdom was swallowed up.

Ps. 16:14 - (1610) They are filled with children: and they have left their remnants to their little ones
            (1752) They are full of children, and they have left the rest of their substance for their little ones.

Ps. 17:30 - (1610) Because in thee I shall be delivered from temptation, and in my God I shall go over the wall.
            (1752) For in thee shall I be delivered from temptation, and with the help of my God I shall leap over the wall.

Psalm 50 (1610):

Unto  the end, a Psalm of David,
Pertaining not only to David, but also to all penitents, especially of the new testament. when Nathan the Prophet came to him, after that he had sinned with Bethsabee.

3 HAVE mercy on me o God,according to thy great mercy.
And according to the multitude of thy commiserations, take away Mine iniquity.
4 Wash me more amply from mine iniquity: & cleanse me from my sin.
5  Because I do know Mine iniquity: and my sin is before me always.
6 To thee only have I sinned, and have done evil before thee: that thou
mayest be justified in thy words, and mayest overcome when thou art judged.
7 For behold I was conceived in iniquities: & my mother conceived me in sins.
8 For behold thou hast loved truth:  the uncertain, and hidden things of
thy wisdom thou hast made manifest to me.
9 Thou shalt sprinkle me with hyssop, and I shall be cleansed: thou shalt
wash me, and I shall be made whiter then snow.
10 To my hearing thou shalt give joy and gladness, and the bones humbled shall rejoice.
11 Turn away thy face from my sins: and wipe away all mine iniquities
12  Create a clean heart in me O God: and renew a right spirit in my bowels.
13 Cast me not away from thy face: and thy holy spirit take not from me.
14 Render unto me the joy of thy salvation? and  confirm me with the principal spirit,
15 I will teach the unjust thy ways: and the impious shall be converted to thee.
16 Deliver me  from bloods O God, the God of my salvation: and my tongue shall exult for thy justice.
17 Lord, thou wilt open my lips: & my mouth shall show forth thy praise.
18 Because if thou wouldest have had sacrifice, I had verily given it: with holocausts thou wilt not be delighted.
19 A sacrifice to God is an afflicted spirit: a contrite, and humbled heart, O God thou wilt not despise.
20 Deal favorably O Lord in thy good will with Sion: that the walls of Jerusalem may be built up.
21 Then shalt thou accept sacrifice of justice, oblations, &  holocausts: then shall they lay calves upon thine altar.

Yes, from comparing his examples, though there are still come differences, I have a feeling that David James work is something I am comfortable with enough to accept that this is an unquestionalbly truly orthodox psalter. His is exactly the form of work that I had hoped someone would eventually do. This is wonderful!

Congratulations and Glory be to God!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 02:40:04 AM by Christopher McAvoy » Logged

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: