OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 04:28:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Forthcoming All-Western-Rite AWRV-ROCOR Forum  (Read 1899 times) Average Rating: 0
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« on: April 06, 2011, 02:40:28 PM »

It would be useful to hearwhat people aspire for the forthcoming All-Western-Rite "Sobor' to be held between ROCOR and the AWRV in the United States. Will there be topics or papers or themes on issues such as the need for a dedicated Western-rite seminary, on achieving greater cross-relationship between the AWRV and ROCOR, and the revival of religious orders such as the Benedictines and Columbans etc?

I would hope that it is not North-America-centric and that the opportunity is there for the AWRV to send people from as far away as their New Zealand parish, and that the contribution of Hieromonk Abbott Michael (Mansbridge-Wood)/(Wood) of the St. Petroc Paruchia will be acknowledged with a place at the conference table, and perhaps representation from each country that the Paruchia serves in.

Even though the outside US portion of the WR is small, outside of France, nonetheless it covers with ROCOR alone, Australia, Great Britain, the
Philippines, and ranks a revived Columban monastic order to its credit. Perhaps the US WR might choose to have special collections to assist overseas Western-rite leaders and delegates from very poor economic circumstances such as the Asian mission fields of Hieromonk Michael (Mansbridge-Wood)/(Wood) to attend or even to directly support monastics such as the Australian and UK Columban monastics of St. Petroc Monastery

This WR gathering is perhaps the first pan-western-rite gathering of its kind, across the very diverse Western-rite and I hope the opportunity is seized in the United States to bring the rest of the world's key players and organisations to break down barriers and the isolation of distance and lack of face to face collegial exchange. It would be a missed opportunity not to allow the isolated Western-rite leaders and missions from around the world NOT to be at the conference, and frankly that would be a mistake that would detract from what the 'sobor' could achieve.

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 03:14:24 PM »

Hasn't it already taken place?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 07:16:39 PM »

I thought so to.  Is this a new meeting, Subdeacon?
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 09:22:04 PM »

My understanding is it is a new one - I will find the details and post them.

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
SubdeaconDavid
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 10:15:51 AM »

Re: The Forthcoming All-Western-Rite AWRV-ROCOR Forum

I believe the site for this year's conference (Oct 4-7, 2011) has already been
chosen: the Mount Albernia Retreat Center in Wappinger Falls, NY, a bit north of
NYC - which is a good travel hub. See Fr. Aidan's Oremus blog entry for April 4,

http://sarisburium.blogspot.com/

Given that at least in ROCOR you have in the WR North America and then the rest of the world, one hopes that the 'rest of the world' of the WR - which in essence is the Paruchia of the St. Petroc Monastery of Hieromonk Michael (Mansbridge-Wood), Founder and Abbott of St. Petroc Abbey (*now St. Petroc Monastery) which has missions in Great Britain (+ Columban nuns in Scotland), the US ( SPM sub-priory and study groups), Australia (St. Dyfan Mission) and the UK (3 missions) ought to be well represented.

There is no value in such a gathering being North America-centric rather than allowing the unique SPM international monastic and lay family to be well represented.  I am sure that the US and Canadian WRO churches of ROCOR and Antioch would benefit from a preaching tour of Columban monks and perhaps nuns of SPM.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:21:56 AM by SubdeaconDavid » Logged

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 11:13:39 AM »

Re: The Forthcoming All-Western-Rite AWRV-ROCOR Forum

I believe the site for this year's conference (Oct 4-7, 2011) has already been
chosen: the Mount Albernia Retreat Center in Wappinger Falls, NY, a bit north of
NYC - which is a good travel hub. See Fr. Aidan's Oremus blog entry for April 4,

http://sarisburium.blogspot.com/

Given that at least in ROCOR you have in the WR North America and then the rest of the world, one hopes that the 'rest of the world' of the WR - which in essence is the Paruchia of the St. Petroc Monastery of Hieromonk Michael (Mansbridge-Wood), Founder and Abbott of St. Petroc Abbey (*now St. Petroc Monastery) which has missions in Great Britain (+ Columban nuns in Scotland), the US ( SPM sub-priory and study groups), Australia (St. Dyfan Mission) and the UK (3 missions) ought to be well represented.

There is no value in such a gathering being North America-centric rather than allowing the unique SPM international monastic and lay family to be well represented.  I am sure that the US and Canadian WRO churches of ROCOR and Antioch would benefit from a preaching tour of Columban monks and perhaps nuns of SPM.

Forgive me if I am confused.  I thought that apart from Fr Michael himself there are no monks nor nuns.  Hieromonk Joshua (Anna) in New Mexico has been removed from the "Paruchia" (whatever that is) and is now under American supervision.

The lady in Edinburgh Scotland is not a monastic but a novice investigating a calling to the monastic life.
SubdeaconDavid
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 08:46:57 AM »

While I understand that the WR is divided up jurisdictionally between the US and Australia/New Zealand and the UK/ and if one accepts Asia as well by virtue of much of Asia being part of the Diocese of Sydney, Australia and New Zealand (although how this applies to an extra-diocesan body like St. Petroc Monastery which is NOT part of the Diocese and is stavropegial  is perplexing. 

Nonetheless, SPM have a priory in the USA, listed in their websites and I think despite the overall headship of the WR resting with Abbott James (Deschene) OSB, for the US assisted by the Pastoral Vicar, the Very Reverend Fr. Anthony (Bondi), surely this does not mean that a Columban dependency of St. Petroc Monastery cannot have its Australian/UK superior make pastoral visitation to his monastery?

Breaking down the barriers for clergy and monastics of the WR outside the US in having fellowship with their brothers and sisters in the US. ought to be seen as desirable and that ought to be encouraged by visits from Australia and the UK of WR clergy from both ROCOR and the AWRV.

So regardless of the division of responsibility, I would hope that SPM are encouraged and supported to join with the ROCOR-AWRV conferences as they occur in the US.

SubdeaconDavid
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 05:03:57 PM »

Fr. Deacon Robert Sherwood writes of a video production of the western-rite pontifical liturgies at the forthcoming all-western-rite conference
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_60191714588
I just wanted to let all of you know, who are on the Western Rite Facebook page, that we are working to engage a professional production company to produce a one hour video of the upcoming Canonical Orthodox Western Rites Conference sponsored by the Fraternity of Saint Gregory the Great of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia. This would include excerpts of the three liturgies that will be done at the October Conference as well as other high points. Participants will be drawn from the ranks of the AWRV, the WR in ROCOR and there will be a number of visiting inquirers and friends from the USA and Canada and other countries as well. Of course, as many of you know, ROCOR has recently established a Western Rite Vicariate and His Grace Bishop Jerome as the Vicar to the Western Rite will be in attendance and officiating at a Pontifical Mass. This professional video will be made available on the upcoming joint website of the ROCOR WR and the AWRV that would post news and information on the Canonical Western Rites. The video would also be made available elsewhere including You Tube.

The Christmas Eve Mass at Our Lady of Glastonbury has reached almost 12,000 viewers so we know there is strong interest in these sorts of productions. This could be an annual feature of future Western Rites Conferences that would be joint productions of ROCOR WR and the AWRV. This year we will be using the Roman, Tikhon and the Gallican Rite and we anticipate next year, with the kind assistance of Father Aidan Keller, presenting the Sarum Rite as well (I am sure he will have some books and information on hand this time). We have already contracted with this company the production a video of the Saturday 28 May Mass and Ordination at Christminster in Hamilton Ontario of Father Joseph to the diaconate that will have Bishop Joseph presiding. That video will be made available publicly and on You Tube in both a 10 minute and a 30 minute version.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 05:04:52 PM by SubdeaconDavid » Logged

Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 06:50:18 PM »

Very cool, can't wait to see it!
Christopher McAvoy
Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
Elder

Faith: orthodóxis, atque cathólice et apostólice fídei
Jurisdiction: Latin Catholic from the 12th c.

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 02:30:46 AM »

I look forward to this western rite conference and hope to meet a few of you for the first time there.
It is exciting to beyond Metropolitan Philip & company, and have more diverse viewpoints. This is how it should be.

I believe that Fr. Aidan will be preparing a bi-lingual Latin/English missalette/booklet for the Sarum mass by the time next year arrives. The possibility of allowing more people to be able to see the original latin words will be a useful education.

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: