Author Topic: Glory...both now at closing of Presanctified Divine Liturgy  (Read 966 times)

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
Glory...both now at closing of Presanctified Divine Liturgy
« on: April 04, 2011, 10:16:37 PM »
I'm not sure where this stems, but our chanters' practice has been that the last Glory...Both now before the dismissal from the Pre-Sanctified Divine Liturgy is to be chanted very quietly.  Does anyone else observe this?  Does anyone know why this may be the case?  Thanks.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Re: Glory...both now at closing of Presanctified Divine Liturgy
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 11:00:42 PM »
I don't believe this is the practice at my parish, but I'll listen up next time I attend.  I know in the roman Catholic Church, they only sing several hymns for Lent, not the usual number.  could this be a Lenten thing?

Offline Basil 320

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 05:06:04 AM »
No; I chant at all of the Presanctified Liturgies and I'm sure my priest, who is also known since his seminary days as a proficient chanter, would tell me, if this were to be practiced.
"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 11:26:23 AM »
No; I chant at all of the Presanctified Liturgies and I'm sure my priest, who is also known since his seminary days as a proficient chanter, would tell me, if this were to be practiced.

Same here.  The rubrics that I have for the Presanctified do not specify any change in the way the ending should be chanted, so I chant it the same way as the rest of the service.
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 11:41:58 AM »
This sounds like a localized idiosyncrasy. My parish has a lot of these. For example, things that repeat three times, we will do the second repeat quietly and the third repeat more loudly than the first. It's for dramatic effect, I guess.
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.