OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 06:47:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: deaing with sexual tension, as an Orthodox Christian  (Read 8013 times) Average Rating: 5
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2011, 10:44:39 PM »

I know the traditional notion is that eating more meat, all else being equal, including caloric intake, increases libido (and anger and other passions). Does this correspond to anyone's personal experience, or are there recent medical studies that confirm this?

Hear are two good sources for info. on meat based diets. You can search the various articles.

www.westonaprice.org

www.thepaleodiet.com

Again:  Roll Eyes

Orthonorm doesn't like any nutrition advice except his own.
No. Like me, he doesn't like seeing you cross-post it everywhere you see the opportunity.

It was a direct answer to a direct question. Orthnorm has a chip on his shoulder and takes similar shots in various threads repeating the exact same advice and the same thinly veiled  insults...

The subject of nutrition  shouldn't get your blood to boil. If it does, it's really truly not my fault.
I don't have a problem with nutrition or with discussions of nutrition. You have a whole thread devoted to the subject of nutrition where you pitch your two favorite Web sites. Maybe instead of cross-posting links to those sites and threatening to derail threads by doing so--not to mention placing added stress on our bandwidth--you could instead post a link to the thread on this forum where we discuss your take on nutrition and your two favorite sites.

For example: Nutrition and Diet, or just http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,24938.0.html.

That way you don't derail threads with your nutritional sales pitches, but instead you redirect posters to the location on this forum where they can continue the discussion of nutrition you already started.

Read for content.. I was not speaking about you when I said such conversations should not make your blood boil. I thought I was being clear. I will try harder in the future.

Not a thing was derailed in this thread by me any way. Someone asked where they can read up on how meat effects libido. Rather than answer with a long explanation I merely provided links where there are articles about such things...That was a perfectly reasonable reply to a direct question. Nothing is being "Pitched".   Cranky are we?  Smiley

I believe that saved bandwidth. However, I will be more than willing to donate to OC.net the .000000185% of one cent for the bandwidth used to provide those links.

Here is the question that was asked: I know the traditional notion is that eating more meat, all else being equal, including caloric intake, increases libido (and anger and other passions). Does this correspond to anyone's personal experience, or are there recent medical studies that confirm this?

I provided links to where medical studies and various explanations can be found... Direct question = Direct answer. No "derailing" is  very apparent to me. Sorry again.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:05:11 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2011, 10:49:07 PM »

That's just wonderful.  Now you are going to get a nastygram about quoting yourself without additional comment  Smiley

I know the traditional notion is that eating more meat, all else being equal, including caloric intake, increases libido (and anger and other passions). Does this correspond to anyone's personal experience, or are there recent medical studies that confirm this?

Hear are two good sources for info. on meat based diets. You can search the various articles.

www.westonaprice.org

www.thepaleodiet.com

No. Like me, he doesn't like seeing you cross-post it everywhere you see the opportunity.

It was a direct answer to a direct question. Orthnorm has a chip on his shoulder and takes similar shots in various threads repeating the exact same advice and the same thinly veiled  insults...

The subject of nutrition  shouldn't get your blood to boil. If it does, it's really truly not my fault.
I don't have a problem with nutrition or with discussions of nutrition. You have a whole thread devoted to the subject of nutrition where you pitch your two favorite Web sites. Maybe instead of cross-posting links to those sites and threatening to derail threads by doing so--not to mention placing added stress on our bandwidth--you could instead post a link to the thread on this forum where we discuss your take on nutrition and your two favorite sites.

For example: Nutrition and Diet, or just http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,24938.0.html.

That way you don't derail threads with your nutritional sales pitches, but instead you redirect posters to the location on this forum where they can continue the discussion of nutrition you already started.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2011, 11:37:01 PM »

www.westonaprice.org

www.thepaleodiet.com

Read for content.. I was not speaking about you when I said such conversations should not make your blood boil. I thought I was being clear. I will try harder in the future.

Not a thing was derailed in this thread by me any way. Someone asked where they can read up on how meat effects libido. Rather than answer with a long explanation I merely provided links where there are articles about such things...That was a perfectly reasonable reply to a direct question. Nothing is being "Pitched".   Cranky are we?  Smiley

I believe that saved bandwidth. However, I will be more than willing to donate to OC.net the .000000185% of one cent for the bandwidth used to provide those links.

Here is the question that was asked: I know the traditional notion is that eating more meat, all else being equal, including caloric intake, increases libido (and anger and other passions). Does this correspond to anyone's personal experience, or are there recent medical studies that confirm this?

I provided links to where medical studies and various explanations can be found... Direct question = Direct answer. No "derailing" is  very apparent to me. Sorry again.
Your baseless and apparently hypocritical jab at my "crankiness" aside, links to the specific articles you want us to read would look like less of a cross-posted sales pitch than what you did. "Here are links to a couple of Web sites where you can find a number of articles, but you have to do the dirty work of looking for them."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:37:41 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2011, 09:17:01 PM »

www.westonaprice.org

www.thepaleodiet.com

I provided links to where medical studies and various explanations can be found... Direct question = Direct answer. No "derailing" is  very apparent to me. Sorry again.
Your baseless and apparently hypocritical jab at my "crankiness" aside, links to the specific articles you want us to read would look like less of a cross-posted sales pitch than what you did. "Here are links to a couple of Web sites where you can find a number of articles, but you have to do the dirty work of looking for them."

You have totally derailed this thread for no apparent reason. I posted a two sentence reply to a question. My post was perfectly reasonable and in fact provided a good source of information. The poster asked for published articles. I showed him where he can find some...

Your odd characterizations of "Sales Pitches" and the like is off the wall and nothing but an  ad hominem remark. Several people over several threads have testified that they follow Paleo or Weston Price type diets and how much it has helped them... I suggest once again that this is a very benign subject and I am amazed that it makes you and Orthonorm so angry.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2011, 11:10:16 PM »

Not to derail the thread further but I find the paleo diet very intriguing.  A lot of our health problems stem from eating crappy stuff.  There are definitely worse things you can do than eat the foods our ancestors thrived on.  As my anthropology professor once said, a couple hundred years of industrialism do not compare to ten thousand years of human evolution.  Our bodies have not yet adapted to the modern world (which I think is a good thing.  God did a good job creating life, who are we to challenge his wisdom?).

As to the OP, I find that taking a swig of Holy Water does well to quell the temptations.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2011, 11:19:04 PM »

Not to derail the thread further but I find the paleo diet very intriguing.  A lot of our health problems stem from eating crappy stuff.  There are definitely worse things you can do than eat the foods our ancestors thrived on. 
LOL. Which was often literally crapp.

As my anthropology professor once said, a couple hundred years of industrialism do not compare to ten thousand years of human evolution.  Our bodies have not yet adapted to the modern world (which I think is a good thing.  God did a good job creating life, who are we to challenge his wisdom?).

As to the OP, I find that taking a swig of Holy Water does well to quell the temptations.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2011, 12:20:16 AM »

yes, I've started taking sips in the mornings and evenings. It's really helped.  I've also been thinking of cutting my prosphora into pieces and eating one every morning. 

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
authio
Elder

« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2011, 04:00:09 PM »

yes, I've started taking sips in the mornings and evenings. It's really helped.  I've also been thinking of cutting my prosphora into pieces and eating one every morning. 

My prosphora molded after four days when I used to do that....  does anyone know how to make it keep?

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2011, 04:07:27 PM »

My prosphora molded after four days when I used to do that....  does anyone know how to make it keep?

Bake it after you take it home.  Cut it into small cubes and then toast them in an oven or toaster oven until they're hard - they should keep for a long time then.  This is what a few of the Athonite monasteries do, and they give the dried Antidoron to people to have with Holy Water in the morning; I've got a 2+ year-old bag from one of the monasteries, and it's all still good.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2011, 06:22:31 PM »

Not to derail the thread further but I find the paleo diet very intriguing.  A lot of our health problems stem from eating crappy stuff.  There are definitely worse things you can do than eat the foods our ancestors thrived on.
LOL. Which was often literally crapp.

As my anthropology professor once said, a couple hundred years of industrialism do not compare to ten thousand years of human evolution.  Our bodies have not yet adapted to the modern world (which I think is a good thing.  God did a good job creating life, who are we to challenge his wisdom?).

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.............Mammoth
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 06:24:44 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2011, 06:42:16 PM »

Marc, you know I got your paleo back, homie  Wink
Written whilst eating mixed raw nuts and fruit swimming in coconut milk.

FWIW, I'm used to eating a LOT of meat, to suddenly none (my first fast), and besides not seeing my deadlift go up weekly with the same old vigor, it has definitely made the marital relations part of the fast more tolerable.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 06:42:45 PM by JimCBrooklyn » Logged

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2011, 08:10:06 PM »

FWIW, I'm used to eating a LOT of meat, to suddenly none (my first fast), and besides not seeing my deadlift go up weekly with the same old vigor, it has definitely made the marital relations part of the fast more tolerable.

For fun, what is your BW and DL?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2011, 02:41:27 AM »

Not much. 165BW/265DL. Had to lose about 60lbs to begin with 2 years ago, having gotten way out of shape, and I just did it all relatively quickly, which meant throwing out the msucle with the bad stuff!

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2011, 03:16:18 AM »

Not much. 165BW/265DL. Had to lose about 60lbs to begin with 2 years ago, having gotten way out of shape, and I just did it all relatively quickly, which meant throwing out the msucle with the bad stuff!
My bad, I'd just typed 165, so I hit a 6 again instead of a 4. I weigh 165 and dead 245, not 265. (but my Save% is great, and my on-base percentage ain't bad either!  Cheesy)

authio
Elder

« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2011, 12:32:26 AM »

@ Fr George - thank you so much for the tip!  To toast, away I go.

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2011, 05:16:31 PM »

Was this link mentioned yet? I don't recall seeing it, but it's been a couple weeks since I read the thread... anyway...

http://orthodoxcounselor.com/healing_from_lust.htm

A lot of info on the site to sift through, but some good points...  now if I could put the advice into practice  angel
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: