OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 06:18:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Favorites...  (Read 1128 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: April 04, 2011, 07:49:33 PM »

Over the last few days I've noticed a problem--albeit a minor one (I hope!)  Whenever I save a website to my favorites, it will save the site as a favorite, and then it will also create a second favorite... but the second favorite is dead--no link visible, and it doesn't do anything when you click on it. When you look at the properties of the dead favorite, the "Web Document" tab is missing, and there is no link in the details/properties. I'm using IE8. Any idea what's going on? Bug from a Windows update? Virus? Proof that my computer is becoming sentient?

EDIT--just wanted to add that an AVG virus scan brings up nothing...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 07:50:03 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 08:59:20 PM »

Over the last few days I've noticed a problem--albeit a minor one (I hope!)  Whenever I save a website to my favorites, it will save the site as a favorite, and then it will also create a second favorite... but the second favorite is dead--no link visible, and it doesn't do anything when you click on it. When you look at the properties of the dead favorite, the "Web Document" tab is missing, and there is no link in the details/properties. I'm using IE8. Any idea what's going on? Bug from a Windows update? Virus? Proof that my computer is becoming sentient?

Wink

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 09:07:11 PM »

Why are you using IE8?Huh  There are better options!

However, it seems you are not the only one with these issues.

Go here and see if any of these steps help you - it's a tech forum.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/my-favorites-keep-duplicating-themselves/fe64ff15-37e8-4b3d-bc49-c28305ba4041

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 09:10:33 PM »

Thank you for the link!  Also, I have tried using other browsers, but I just couldn't seem to get it to work or get used to it. The last time I tried to change, it caused so many problems that I just went back to Internet Exploder. Perhaps I will experiment with getting a new one this week though.

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 09:41:57 PM »

FireFox is great, with lots of gadgets and add on features.

Google Chrome is clean and simple.

Opera is okay, but, I prefer Chrome.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 10:02:51 PM »

I love Firefox for my favorites. I have Google Chrome for one of my jobs, but can't transfer to it.

IE8 is PURE EVIL.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 10:18:58 PM »

I use to love the favorite system of fire fox, but for some reason the new fire fox keeps hiding my favorites tab. And it takes a while for it to come back. I really don't like the new system. IE8 sucks.

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 12:00:16 AM »

I use to love the favorite system of fire fox, but for some reason the new fire fox keeps hiding my favorites tab. And it takes a while for it to come back. I really don't like the new system. IE8 sucks.

Doesn't surprise me.  Firefox underwent a huge rewrite between 3.6 to 4.0.  You just have to look at the astronomical error count they were battling during beta releases to know that, while stable, 4.0 was going to have its fair share of glitches.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 12:15:36 AM »

I had the same problem.  I also occasionally got what I call a "dead tab".  when I opened a tab, 75% of the time it would just say "opening" and do nothing when I clicked it.  grrr...

but, a few days ago I downloaded firefox, and it's amazing!  I highly recommend it.  http://www.firefox.com/

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 12:49:04 PM »

Wink

lulz.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 12:49:39 PM »

Chrome for most stuff. Safari for article mode alone.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 01:13:53 PM »

Now the question is, are we all cleverly disguised firefox spambots?

women's clothing lady gaga music videos juicy couture handbags firefox tribal tattoos
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 01:14:01 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: