OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 10:48:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King James Version 400th Anniversary Celebration  (Read 1012 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: April 04, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »

Since some Orthodox use the KJV (I think), this might be of interest.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 11:48:43 PM »

Three cheers for King James!  Grin
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 12:37:47 AM »

I just picked up the 400th anniversary one from Zondervan at Walmart for 5 bucks and its an exact replica, including the old Blackletter Gothic typeface.

So if you want a smaller size and don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for the Blackletter folios, which I've seen, get that one but it doesn't include the Apocrypha unfourtantely.

I must labor to read the KJV in Blackletter though.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 12:44:46 PM »

I just picked up the 400th anniversary one from Zondervan at Walmart for 5 bucks and its an exact replica, including the old Blackletter Gothic typeface.

So if you want a smaller size and don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for the Blackletter folios, which I've seen, get that one but it doesn't include the Apocrypha unfourtantely.

I must labor to read the KJV in Blackletter though.

If it doesn't include all of the books of the 1611, is it anything more than a standard Protestant KJV except with hard-to-read fonts?

Thomas Nelson has a 1611 facsimile edition that uses a more modern typeface but maintains the original spellings and canon for $20.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Irish_Melkite

Faith: Melkite
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton MA

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 12:48:48 PM »

I bought a copy of that Thomas Nelson reprint of the Original 1611 because it includes the Deutero-canonical books.  I show this to my Protestant friends and their fuses blow because it includes those "extra books that shouldn't be there."  Shows how much they know.  All the ancient Churches include the Apocryphal OT books... with some variances.  However, apocryphal does not mean "false" it means "written after the canon".
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 01:08:55 PM »

My maternal grandparents had an early 19th c. KJV with the apocrypha and old Book of Common Prayer ( BCP)  included these books in the lectionary (perhaps it still does?). It is interesting that the classic English of the Lord's Prayer seems to remain from the previous translation to the KJV while Psalm 23 is always in KJV classic English (the BCP version of Psalm 23 differs in wording as its Psalter is pre KJV).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 01:10:09 PM by recent convert » Logged

Antiochian OC N.A.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 04:21:56 PM »

If it doesn't include all of the books of the 1611, is it anything more than a standard Protestant KJV except with hard-to-read fonts?

Thomas Nelson has a 1611 facsimile edition that uses a more modern typeface but maintains the original spellings and canon for $20.

I saw this today as well. I didn't notice what books it had, but it had the original spellings...
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 01:54:50 PM »

I bought a copy of that Thomas Nelson reprint of the Original 1611 because it includes the Deutero-canonical books.  I show this to my Protestant friends and their fuses blow because it includes those "extra books that shouldn't be there."  Shows how much they know.  All the ancient Churches include the Apocryphal OT books... with some variances.  However, apocryphal does not mean "false" it means "written after the canon".

Actually, it means "hidden." It comes from the same root as the English "cryptic." Which is why I still reject the term. They aren't hidden books, we know exactly where they are and where they came from. I really don't care for the term "deutero-canonical" either, because it means "second canon." There is no second canon. Those books have been and are part of the Jewish Old Testament as received by the Church since the first century. They were also fully accepted by the Jews until the revisions of the Masoretic Text, seven to ten centuries after Christ.

It's Pseudepigrapha that means "false writing."
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 01:56:09 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 03:47:55 PM »

Those books have been and are part of the Jewish Old Testament as received by the Church since the first century. They were also fully accepted by the Jews until the revisions of the Masoretic Text, seven to ten centuries after Christ.

No. No. No.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 03:48:32 PM »

Those books have been and are part of the Jewish Old Testament as received by the Church since the first century. They were also fully accepted by the Jews until the revisions of the Masoretic Text, seven to ten centuries after Christ.

No. No. No.

Umm...okay?  Huh

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 03:52:48 PM »

Sorry, I should have put a smiley or halo emoticon. I disagree with all the point you made in what I quoted, but I think there's room for disagreement. I'm about burnt out on the Scripture canon debates though  Cheesy
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 04:02:24 PM »

Sorry, I should have put a smiley or halo emoticon. I disagree with all the point you made in what I quoted, but I think there's room for disagreement. I'm about burnt out on the Scripture canon debates though  Cheesy

Meh. The technical Jewish "canon" wasn't closed until the Masoretic Text, and so the argument can be made that those books weren't technically part of the canon, since one didn't exist yet. However, they are included in many, many early manuscripts, and were found in most versions of the Septuagint, which was used by the Church from the beginning.

Perhaps you have disagreements beyond those semantics. I'll gladly talk about them, or not. I would agree that there probably is room for disagreement. We aren't sola scripturists, so we don't have to nitpick the canon. I just don't like that certain books are regulated to a secondary status, when they are included in the Scriptures and are read liturgically like any other book of the canon (which was the defining point between "protocanonical" and "deuterocanonical" books when the canon was being further defined).

But, I digress.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 04:14:51 PM »

I'm about burnt out on the Scripture canon debates though

Especially when there are pressing concerning regarding the Faith of the Church like what calendar to use.

When do Old Calendarists pay their taxes?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:15:29 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 04:21:51 PM »

Also fwiw, I took a second look at the Zondervan edition of the 1611 KJV, and it doesn't have the deuterocanonicals in it. Still, for $5, it's not bad...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: