Author Topic: Church Fathers/Mothers/Writers  (Read 699 times)

Online Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
Church Fathers/Mothers/Writers
« on: April 04, 2011, 05:08:27 AM »
When we want to speak about a collection of documents by writers in the Church, usually saints, what term(s) do you think we should use? Church Fathers seems most common in Orthodox circles, but is it wrong to so commonly exclude those who were women (e.g. the desert Ammas)? Should we then say Church Fathers and Mothers? Or should we say Church Writers? Yet generally I would save a term like Church Writers or Ecclesiastical Writers for when I am including those who had a tenuous or varying relationship with the Church (e.g. Tertullian). Thoughts?
We all have an El Guapo to face. Be brave, and fight like lions!

Form a 'brute squad' then!

Offline NicholasMyra

• Avowed denominationalist
  • Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian+Greek
Re: Church Fathers/Mothers/Writers
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 01:02:07 PM »
When we want to speak about a collection of documents by writers in the Church, usually saints, what term(s) do you think we should use? Church Fathers seems most common in Orthodox circles, but is it wrong to so commonly exclude those who were women (e.g. the desert Ammas)? Should we then say Church Fathers and Mothers? Or should we say Church Writers? Yet generally I would save a term like Church Writers or Ecclesiastical Writers for when I am including those who had a tenuous or varying relationship with the Church (e.g. Tertullian). Thoughts?
I've seen Fathers and Mothers used often; that's my personal preference.
Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

Πλούσιοι επτώχευσαν και επείνασαν
Οιδε εκζητούντες τον Κύριον
Ουκ ελαττωθήσονται παντός αγαθού

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 02:00:22 PM »
I've seen Fathers and Mothers used often; that's my personal preference.
Fathers and Mothers is better.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 02:01:34 PM »
^ I agree.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 11:10:17 AM »
Yes from experience, I've heard church "Fathers and Mothers".

However what would we call people like Origen?  I love the way Origen writes but he's I guess technically a "heritic?"
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 11:26:30 AM »

I'm reading a book entitled "Desert Fathers"...this is my Lenten bedtime reading.  I am lucky to get through 2 pages before I nod off.

However, in this Desert "Father's" book which is filled with stories from Abba this, and Abba that....I came upon an Amma Sarah.  Actually startled me...and after her was another Amma S-something.

...so it seems these "mothers" are easily incorporated into the book about the Desert "Fathers".

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria