OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 07:08:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Confessional  (Read 476 times) Average Rating: 0
Searching_for_Christ

Faith: Anglo-Catholic inquirer

« on: April 03, 2011, 10:25:23 PM »

What happens to the priest if he reveals to others what is confessed to him? Excommunication sounds pretty basic, but what else?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 10:40:04 PM »

Isn't there grounds as to why a priest should say something to somebody? For example someone commiting a crime to the police?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 10:49:31 PM »

A few threads you may wish to read before we continue the discussion here:

Confessor \ Priest confidentiallity
Seal of the confessional
Sacrosanctity of Orthodox confessions and confessors
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 10:42:22 AM »

I've actually heard of this happening at a church about 25 years ago in the Antiochian jurisdiction.

It was a "leak" but kind of unintentional.  The priest actually was physically assaulted by the individual for doing so.  I don't know what happened after that with the Bishop or anything, but this stands out in my mind.

It's also happened a few times in the Roman Catholic church where clergy has been assaulted for revealing some confessions.

Kind of scary actually.  It's a huge burden of silence. 

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 12:24:25 PM »

Typically, the priest would be defrocked. I've heard that from just about every source I've encountered on the subject. After that, the bishop could possibly prescribe a penance (temporary excommunication).

As far as when a priest can and can't reveal a confession, and under what circumstances...I don't think there's a universal concensus. I've heard from some churches that a priest can and should never reveal anything in any way. I've heard that if a crime is confessed, the priest can inform authorities.

My priest has spoken about confession a few times, both casually with a group (after service at coffee hour, etc.) and formally at catachism classes, and he says the tradition he's received and follows is a middle-of-the-road approach. He cannot reveal a crime already committed, but would prescribe penance until the person turned him/herself into authorities. If one confesses that they are seriously struggling with commiting a criminial act, but has not yet, he could warn the potential victim(s), without revealing details, and attempt to prevent the act from occuring without breaking the seal of confession.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 03:35:32 PM »

IMHO they should be defrocked/laicized and excommunicated with penance.  Yes, it is a huge burden of silence, but if they're not able to bear it they shouldn't hear confessions.

If I even thought for a minute that a priest I was confessing to would share that material in any way other than an extremely general and vague manner, they'd never see me again.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Tags: confession 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: