OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 08:13:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YoGa  (Read 917 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« on: April 03, 2011, 06:10:50 PM »

Yoga May Also Calm a Dangerous Irregular Heartbeat

In a small preliminary study, the ancient art of yoga appeared to halve the number of episodes of a potentially dangerous irregular heartbeat known as atrial fibrillation.

Three sessions of yoga a week also improved quality of life, lowering levels of the anxiety and depression which often plagues patients with this condition, according to research to be presented Saturday at the annual meeting of the American College of Cardiology in New Orleans...

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 06:35:27 PM »

Tryin' to drum a little bidness for your yoga school?  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 06:37:37 PM »

I'm too fat and inflexible to do yoga.  Tongue  Plus I have back issues and I don't want to take the chance of screwing myself up again (I know some people say yoga helps back issues, but other people say that it's only if it's muscle issues that it helps, and if it's--like I have--herniated discs, that it isn't going to help).

CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 06:08:49 PM »

I'm too fat and inflexible to do yoga.  Tongue  Plus I have back issues and I don't want to take the chance of screwing myself up again (I know some people say yoga helps back issues, but other people say that it's only if it's muscle issues that it helps, and if it's--like I have--herniated discs, that it isn't going to help).

Though I don't endorse or think very highly of yoga, even without the spiritual side, I have a friend who says it helps his herniated disc immensely. He's been doing it for about a month and a half and says he's already sleeping better and being able to stand at work. Just FYI.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 06:17:19 PM »

Though I don't endorse or think very highly of yoga, even without the spiritual side, I have a friend who says it helps his herniated disc immensely. He's been doing it for about a month and a half and says he's already sleeping better and being able to stand at work. Just FYI.

Interesting. Well, if I ever join a gym that has it as part of the package (or a bit more) I'll think about giving it a shot to see how it goes. Smiley

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 06:46:53 PM »

Why not try a DVD first? My friend and I did YogaLates (a yoga-pilates) hybrid that had very similar positions but didn't have the spiritual aspect to it. (They build up a killer core. Ouch!)

I do like just taking deep breaths and doing some of the poses once in a while, without the spiritual aspect to it. It helps me relax. I don't quite know about my health problems being alleviated, but I don't do it so often.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 07:00:01 PM »

Yeah, I guess I could try, or even the Yoga program on the Fitness Channel. Though I have a hard time concentrating on the actual yoga when that show is on  Tongue  Sorry, I'm bad...

CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 07:04:09 PM »

Yeah, I guess I could try, or even the Yoga program on the Fitness Channel. Though I have a hard time concentrating on the actual yoga when that show is on  Tongue  Sorry, I'm bad...

Haha. That was a good laugh  laugh. Yeah I'll second the video approach; well that's what my friend does at least

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 07:28:18 PM »

There are plenty of books as well that can teach yoga. I would suggest a yoga pilates hybrid since pilates was designed for people with back/core issues in particular.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 07:42:48 PM »

Pilates is mentioned in the Bible.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 07:46:40 PM »

If y'all are gonna do yoga, I highly recommend you take lessons from a teacher (preferably one that doesn't teach the spirituality with it).  The asanas (poses) are very helpful, but you need to ensure you're positioning yourself correctly or it ain't gonna work for you.  And you can only ensure you're doing it right if you have a teacher standing next to you and helping you. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 08:47:56 PM »

Yeah, I forgot to specify that I practiced Pilates with my ballet instructor at first...it does help to know how to align the body correctly.

So take the intro class and then RUN!

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 08:25:45 AM »

According to Black, a number of factors have converged to heighten the risk of practicing yoga. The biggest is the demographic shift in those who study it. Indian practitioners of yoga typically squatted and sat cross-legged in daily life, and yoga poses, or asanas, were an outgrowth of these postures. Now urbanites who sit in chairs all day walk into a studio a couple of times a week and strain to twist themselves into ever-more-difficult postures despite their lack of flexibility and other physical problems. Many come to yoga as a gentle alternative to vigorous sports or for rehabilitation for injuries. But yoga's exploding popularity -- the number of Americans doing yoga has risen from about 4 million in 2001 to what some estimate to be as many as 20 million in 2011 -- means that there is now an abundance of studios where many teachers lack the deeper training necessary to recognize when students are headed toward injury.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 11:05:29 AM »

According to Black, a number of factors have converged to heighten the risk of practicing yoga. The biggest is the demographic shift in those who study it. Indian practitioners of yoga typically squatted and sat cross-legged in daily life, and yoga poses, or asanas, were an outgrowth of these postures. Now urbanites who sit in chairs all day walk into a studio a couple of times a week and strain to twist themselves into ever-more-difficult postures despite their lack of flexibility and other physical problems. Many come to yoga as a gentle alternative to vigorous sports or for rehabilitation for injuries. But yoga's exploding popularity -- the number of Americans doing yoga has risen from about 4 million in 2001 to what some estimate to be as many as 20 million in 2011 -- means that there is now an abundance of studios where many teachers lack the deeper training necessary to recognize when students are headed toward injury.

A response to The New York Times article above:

I’d like to thank the The New York Times for continuing to fuel the relevancy of the Hindu American Foundation’s Take Back Yoga campaign.  The latest piece in the Times Magazine, “How Yoga Can Wreck Your Body” by William Broad, just adds more fodder to the campaign.  Broad’s latest has naturally upset many in the yoga community – it’s a rather silly, one-sided piece that highlights a handful of people who have suffered injuries due to their yoga practice.  The male college student sitting on his heels in vajrasana “for hours a day, chanting for world peace” is hardly the typical profile of an everyday yoga practitioner.  It’s also rather curious that Broad had to go back as far as 1973 to find a healthy, 28-year-old woman who suffered a stroke due to backbending.  Admittedly, Broad agrees these are seemingly rare, but goes on to note that yoga-related injuries have been increasingly since 2000.  Pardon my immediate reaction, but isn’t that obvious?  As with any activity that requires physical exertion, it is only logical that as it becomes more popular, the number practitioners will increase, as will the number of injuries.  ”How Zumba Can Wreck Your Body,” anyone?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 11:06:30 AM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: