Author Topic: Question about the W/F fast  (Read 666 times)

Offline JimCBrooklyn

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
  • Если бога нет, то все позволено
Question about the W/F fast
« on: April 03, 2011, 10:16:42 AM »
So, as a catechumen, I've been strictly fasting for Lent, and we have mostly observed the Wednesday/Friday fasts for some time in our house, even prior to my inquiry and subsequent catechism, out of respect to my wife's Orthodoxy.

I've heard that technically, after either Vespers or Compline (I forget which) on a given day, that day, liturgically speaking, is over, a concept that is not new to me what with having Sat. eve masses in the RC church. In light of this, ou of curiosity, exactly when is one technically supposed to fast? After a certain hour on Tuesdays and Thursdays until a certain hour on Wed and Fri, or just rising to sleeping on Wed and Fri? I'm sure there are threads that have addressed this, but I have an awfully poor time digging anything but the simplest of subjects out of the search function!

In Christ,
Jim
It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware

Offline Altar Server

• High Elder
  • Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!
Re: Question about the W/F fast
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 10:18:11 AM »
I believe the fasting day is the actual day (from midnight to midnight) and not the liturgical day 
All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 10:31:41 AM »
Yeah, generally people just fast according to the secular timing rather than the liturgical timing, with the only possible exception being that some people start their fast before communion after Saturday Vespers (as opposed to starting it at midnight).
"My doubt in Christ is not like that of a child; it was forged in a furnace of faith." - Dostoevsky

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 03:40:05 PM »
I've heard it expressed as "bedtime to bedtime". Of course that presumes you don't munch in bed  :D. That eliminates a kind of cheating whereby say, on Tuesday, I could eat a big meal with anything I like just before Vespers, and then on Wednesday right after Vespers again enjoying whatever I like. Rather defeats the whole point as there would never be a single complete day during ordinary waking hours of observing a fast.

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
...defeats the whole point as there would never be a single complete day during ordinary waking hours of observing a fast.

Exactly! See, that's the dead end of legalism. You could find loopholes but ask yourself, what's the point? Why are you fasting?
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 12:35:16 PM »
So, as a catechumen, I've been strictly fasting for Lent, and we have mostly observed the Wednesday/Friday fasts for some time in our house, even prior to my inquiry and subsequent catechism, out of respect to my wife's Orthodoxy.

I've heard that technically, after either Vespers or Compline (I forget which) on a given day, that day, liturgically speaking, is over, a concept that is not new to me what with having Sat. eve masses in the RC church. In light of this, ou of curiosity, exactly when is one technically supposed to fast? After a certain hour on Tuesdays and Thursdays until a certain hour on Wed and Fri, or just rising to sleeping on Wed and Fri? I'm sure there are threads that have addressed this, but I have an awfully poor time digging anything but the simplest of subjects out of the search function!

In Christ,
Jim

Fasting rules apply to the Calendar day (midnight to midnight) rather than the Liturgical day (Vespers to Vespers).  Perfect example: Christmas eve.  A vesperal liturgy is prescribed in the evening, but the Christmas fast does not end until after the morning Liturgy on Christmas Day.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 12:36:12 PM by Fr. George »
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline jah777

• Archon
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 01:14:36 PM »
Bed time to bed time makes since, as does midnight to midnight.  I think the latter expression is more commonly used, but one reason for the former expression is to discourage people from staying up late on Wed and Fri nights in order to stuff themselves with ice cream and other non-fasting foods at 12:01 am, so that an entire ordinary week will not have to pass without indulging the passion of gluttony.