OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 01:22:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about the W/F fast  (Read 586 times) Average Rating: 0
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« on: April 03, 2011, 10:16:42 AM »

So, as a catechumen, I've been strictly fasting for Lent, and we have mostly observed the Wednesday/Friday fasts for some time in our house, even prior to my inquiry and subsequent catechism, out of respect to my wife's Orthodoxy.

I've heard that technically, after either Vespers or Compline (I forget which) on a given day, that day, liturgically speaking, is over, a concept that is not new to me what with having Sat. eve masses in the RC church. In light of this, ou of curiosity, exactly when is one technically supposed to fast? After a certain hour on Tuesdays and Thursdays until a certain hour on Wed and Fri, or just rising to sleeping on Wed and Fri? I'm sure there are threads that have addressed this, but I have an awfully poor time digging anything but the simplest of subjects out of the search function!

In Christ,
Jim

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 10:18:11 AM »

I believe the fasting day is the actual day (from midnight to midnight) and not the liturgical day 

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

A metal babble! Kill it quick!

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 10:31:41 AM »

Yeah, generally people just fast according to the secular timing rather than the liturgical timing, with the only possible exception being that some people start their fast before communion after Saturday Vespers (as opposed to starting it at midnight).

That is not the teaching of Fr. Seraphim Rose.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 03:40:05 PM »

I've heard it expressed as "bedtime to bedtime". Of course that presumes you don't munch in bed  Cheesy. That eliminates a kind of cheating whereby say, on Tuesday, I could eat a big meal with anything I like just before Vespers, and then on Wednesday right after Vespers again enjoying whatever I like. Rather defeats the whole point as there would never be a single complete day during ordinary waking hours of observing a fast.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »

...defeats the whole point as there would never be a single complete day during ordinary waking hours of observing a fast.

Exactly! See, that's the dead end of legalism. You could find loopholes but ask yourself, what's the point? Why are you fasting?

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 12:35:16 PM »

So, as a catechumen, I've been strictly fasting for Lent, and we have mostly observed the Wednesday/Friday fasts for some time in our house, even prior to my inquiry and subsequent catechism, out of respect to my wife's Orthodoxy.

I've heard that technically, after either Vespers or Compline (I forget which) on a given day, that day, liturgically speaking, is over, a concept that is not new to me what with having Sat. eve masses in the RC church. In light of this, ou of curiosity, exactly when is one technically supposed to fast? After a certain hour on Tuesdays and Thursdays until a certain hour on Wed and Fri, or just rising to sleeping on Wed and Fri? I'm sure there are threads that have addressed this, but I have an awfully poor time digging anything but the simplest of subjects out of the search function!

In Christ,
Jim

Fasting rules apply to the Calendar day (midnight to midnight) rather than the Liturgical day (Vespers to Vespers).  Perfect example: Christmas eve.  A vesperal liturgy is prescribed in the evening, but the Christmas fast does not end until after the morning Liturgy on Christmas Day.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 12:36:12 PM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 01:14:36 PM »

Bed time to bed time makes since, as does midnight to midnight.  I think the latter expression is more commonly used, but one reason for the former expression is to discourage people from staying up late on Wed and Fri nights in order to stuff themselves with ice cream and other non-fasting foods at 12:01 am, so that an entire ordinary week will not have to pass without indulging the passion of gluttony. 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: