OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 01:24:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slight Dilema with a Buddist...:-";"ania  (Read 10067 times) Average Rating: 0
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2003, 09:20:04 PM »

xx
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM by BTW, thanks everyone for your efforts, especially who did tell me something of value, rather than just make my eyes cross. ;-)
Ania
»

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2003, 05:10:16 PM »

xx
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM by Aklie,
Nice post and well put.

Linus,
I definitely think you're mistaken. It very much looks like you and Aklie are talking apples to apples. You just seem to approach things from a much more cold, stern and legalistic view. »
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2003, 08:44:55 PM »

xx
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM by [quote]From Elisha:
Linus,
I definitely think you're mistaken. It very much looks like you and Aklie are talking apples to apples. You just seem to approach things from a much more cold, stern and legalistic view.[/quote]

You&#
»

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2003, 10:02:10 AM »

xx
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM by Linus, mate, I didn't specify you, so I'd appreciate if you would keep your tendency to put words in people's mouths to yourself, Thanks. I'm glad ya made such an effort to convince me to disregard any notions of a romantic involvemen » Logged

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2003, 11:40:12 AM »

xx
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM by
ania -

I don't think I put words in your mouth, and, if you actually read what I wrote, you would see that I never said one must limit his [i]close[/i] associations to Orthodox but merely to Christians.

Associate with whom
»

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2003, 11:48:29 AM »

xx
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM by One problem we are faced with these days is that there is disagreement on how strictly the canons and fathers are to be interpreted. Some will say that these are ideals for monastics and clergy, so the "average" layman shouldn't concern th » Logged

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2003, 11:55:37 AM »

xx
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM by My final "piece"

Linus is right we shouldn't date non-Christians.

If we take Linus's dogmatic position that one should not have close associations with non-Christians and change it to advice: "one should have
»

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2003, 12:13:54 PM »

xx
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM by David and Anastasios -

Well said, both of you.

Anastasios, I think what you said in that last post was extremely fair.

I really was not trying to be dogmatic, though it is obvious it came off that way. All of it was my opi
»

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2003, 12:46:51 PM »

xx
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM by I've hesitated saying anything on the friendship part because... well... I know that most people are nothing like me (reclusive and quiet). Maybe some people [I]need[/I] interaction with others, maybe that's just part of how they're "w » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2003, 08:47:20 PM »

xx
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM by I've been hesitating to say this, but I honest think the best advice we can give *anyone* is to go to their priest/spiritual father/father confessor if they have questions or aren't sure what to do about a problem. 1. These are the people that » Logged
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2003, 10:35:07 PM »

xx
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM by Good advice, katherine.

Now I hope we're done with this thread!
»

- Pope St. Hormisdas
amhalaba

St. Michael, defend us in the midst of battle.

« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2003, 12:31:21 AM »

xx
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM by Hi, I'm new... never participated in any kind of forum or chat before... NERVOUS... so many articulate and theologically educated voices out there...

This thread really moved me... I'm kind of *new* to x-tianity (RC, but fascinated an
»

"To live is to change, and to become perfect is to change often." - John Henry Neumann
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2003, 11:57:48 AM »

xx
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM by amhalaba -

Welcome! I hope you'll stick around and post a lot.

Thanks for the kind words.
»

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Aaron

« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2003, 08:46:51 PM »

xx
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM by As someone who is a recent convert to the Orthodox Church, this has been a really fascinating discussion to follow, because I haven't dated anyone since converting and have spent much time wondering and worrying about what I'm going to do in tha » Logged
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2003, 09:56:17 PM »

xx
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 08:00:00 PM by [quote author=Aaron link=board=7;threadid=1603;start=msg15901#msg15901 date=1059094011]
As someone who is a recent convert to the Orthodox Church, this has been a really fascinating discussion to follow, because I haven't dated anyone since conv
»
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2011, 08:54:50 PM »

XX

Gkterra
Formerly know as findingfaith

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

ακραία αμαρτωλός

« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2011, 09:33:01 PM »

Even satan himself can appear as an Angel of the Lord, and do good works in His name, to distract you from the path of True Righteousness

Ever notice that just like there is no age limit on stupidity, there is no IQ limit either? kind of explains a lot huh?
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2011, 11:24:05 PM »

I don't get it.

What's with the XX?

...and why were all the posts "last edited" in 1969?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2011, 11:30:10 PM »

I don't get it.

What's with the XX?

...and why were all the posts "last edited" in 1969?

I don't recall the story behind it, but when I came back across it, it was just too good to not resurrect, mwahahaha!  Smiley Oh, and regarding Dos Equis... I cannot improve on that, so I yield to you sir/madam.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2011, 11:40:59 PM »

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: