OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 01:22:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please pray for me.  (Read 1143 times) Average Rating: 0
LittleFlower

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« on: April 02, 2011, 09:56:41 PM »

Hello,

I am new here.. I would really appreciate your prayers because I am feeling very confused and not sure where God wants me. When I was a child, I was baptized and chrismated Orthodox, though my family only came to church on Easter. Later, I found faith in God and became a Catholic. I do not dislike anything about the Catholic Church. But I can't seem to figure out, if God wants me to be Catholic or to go back to being Orthodox. I am just looking for prayers.. I have heard possibly every argument there is for me being Orthodox or Catholic.. I have been researching for a long time. But I think only God can help me understand.

I am feeling very confused and this is pretty much all that I can think about.. I feel like my salvation depends on me being in the true Church, and I don't want to be an apostate from the truth (it is scary to think that I am risking that, either way, since I've been both Orthodox and Catholic).

Please pray for me Sad thank you!
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 10:09:09 PM »

Lord, have mercy!
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 10:13:03 PM »

Lord have mercy.  Prayer you have asked for, and our prayers you have!
LittleFlower

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 10:15:20 PM »

Thank you so much Smiley

I have been struggling with this since last summer.. and going back and forth.. I really don't understand what God wants me to do, and am very afraid.
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 10:21:12 PM »

Lord have mercy on littleflower!!
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 10:22:50 PM »

In my experience we often know what we should do, but we talk ourselves out of it due to fear. Take all the possible repercussions that build in your mind out of the decision and look at it from as many other angles as you can.

Have you attended any Orthodox or Catholic services in recent months? If you haven't, I would start there. The two services are similar, and yet couldn't be more different. You will find your spiritual home when it is time, try not to worry too much while deciding.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 10:27:26 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 10:35:19 PM »

Through the prayers of the Theotokos, Saviour save us!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
LittleFlower

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 10:46:23 PM »

Thank you! Smiley

To answer the question, yes I have attended both Catholic and Orthodox services.. I attend a Tridentine Mass parish (FSSP), and I usually go a couple times a week to Mass.. I've also been to Eastern Catholic Divine Liturgy.. and I went to the local ROCOR parish for Matins etc (and DL, but that was a while ago).

I can think of times when God worked through all of these services (to help me repent of something, or gave me peace, etc). I believe He is present in all these churches (they are Apostolic). But where does He want me? No idea Sad I do have a lot of fear and maybe that is preventing me from opening up to the answer. My priest told me that it's best to discern God's will when we are at peace, because that is when we can hear the Holy Spirit best.
peteprint
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 11:20:12 PM »

Hello,

I am new here.. I would really appreciate your prayers because I am feeling very confused and not sure where God wants me. When I was a child, I was baptized and chrismated Orthodox, though my family only came to church on Easter. Later, I found faith in God and became a Catholic. I do not dislike anything about the Catholic Church. But I can't seem to figure out, if God wants me to be Catholic or to go back to being Orthodox. I am just looking for prayers.. I have heard possibly every argument there is for me being Orthodox or Catholic.. I have been researching for a long time. But I think only God can help me understand.

I am feeling very confused and this is pretty much all that I can think about.. I feel like my salvation depends on me being in the true Church, and I don't want to be an apostate from the truth (it is scary to think that I am risking that, either way, since I've been both Orthodox and Catholic).

Dear Little Flower,

I appreciate your statement that you have heard all of the arguments pro and con about converting to Orthodoxy.  You are seeking some sort of sign or inner feeling from God about which way to go.  Sometimes we have to use a certain amount of our God-given reasoning faculties in making such decisions.  Even the Apostle Paul reasoned with people about the truth of the gospel.  It is not all about feelings and emotions.  The Mormons tell prospective converts to pray about it and that the person will feel a "burning in the bosom" that the Mormon teachings are true.

Keep praying about your decision to God, but please do not rely solely on "feelings".  Many members of many different religions "feel in their heart" that it is the correct one.  That is not always the case.  I came to Orthodoxy by an intellectual process whereby I compared the teachings of different faiths to one another and reached the conclusion that the Orthodox Church is the Church founded by Christ and that it has kept the Faith without diluting it, or adding to it.  I realize not everyone comes to Orthodoxy by that method.  Please don't let feelings overcome your judgment is all that I am saying.

You will be in my prayers.

In Christ,

Peter
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

Mzack. Uglyface creatures, unite!

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 11:28:45 PM »

Welcome to the forum Smiley and prayers...
LittleFlower

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 11:30:17 PM »

Hi Peter,

thank you for the reply.. I agree with you, but I'm not sure how to use this approach, because I have found really good arguments for both churches. THe more I researched, the more I got confused. I'm sure the truth is out there somewhere, but each church has their own interpretation of Scripture and the historical facts, and it's hard for me to figure out which one is more accurate, that way. But when I try to discern through praying, that does not always work either, and I tend to go back and forth. Currently I'm just trying to repent of my sins and trust.. I don't think I can 'try' anymore, because maybe I'm trying so hard that I'm not letting God do anything in my soul? could be.

I agree with you though that feelings are very unreliable.

God bless!
LittleFlower

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 11:30:50 PM »

Welcome to the forum Smiley and prayers...

thank you Smiley

God bless
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 11:31:04 PM by LittleFlower » Logged
peteprint
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 11:38:57 PM »

Hi Peter,

thank you for the reply.. I agree with you, but I'm not sure how to use this approach, because I have found really good arguments for both churches. THe more I researched, the more I got confused. I'm sure the truth is out there somewhere, but each church has their own interpretation of Scripture and the historical facts, and it's hard for me to figure out which one is more accurate, that way. But when I try to discern through praying, that does not always work either, and I tend to go back and forth. Currently I'm just trying to repent of my sins and trust.. I don't think I can 'try' anymore, because maybe I'm trying so hard that I'm not letting God do anything in my soul? could be.

God bless!

Hi Little Flower,

Of course it is tempting to me to refer you to Orthodox sources regarding the differences between the two churches, but I feel that you made it clear you did not want that, just prayer.  You do have my prayers, and I suggest you attend Orthodox services as often as possible and speak with an Orthodox priest as well. 

If you are uncomfortable with the Orthodox parish you have been visiting, there are many others representing different jurisdictions as well where you might find one that you are more at home in.  Either way, visit what churches you want to, but I truly believe the more Orthodox services you attend, the easier it will be for you to discern God's will in this matter.  Try to find a parish where the liturgy is in English if possible.  At this point in your search being able to understand what is being sung is very important.

In Christ,

Peter
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Christos Anesti!

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 01:18:44 AM »

Lord Have Mercy!

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
SolEX01
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 01:37:46 AM »

Lord have Mercy.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 01:40:56 AM »

Hello,

Dear Little Flower,

I appreciate your statement that you have heard all of the arguments pro and con about converting to Orthodoxy.  You are seeking some sort of sign or inner feeling from God about which way to go.  Sometimes we have to use a certain amount of our God-given reasoning faculties in making such decisions.  Even the Apostle Paul reasoned with people about the truth of the gospel.  It is not all about feelings and emotions.  The Mormons tell prospective converts to pray about it and that the person will feel a "burning in the bosom" that the Mormon teachings are true.

Keep praying about your decision to God, but please do not rely solely on "feelings".  Many members of many different religions "feel in their heart" that it is the correct one.  That is not always the case.  I came to Orthodoxy by an intellectual process whereby I compared the teachings of different faiths to one another and reached the conclusion that the Orthodox Church is the Church founded by Christ and that it has kept the Faith without diluting it, or adding to it.  I realize not everyone comes to Orthodoxy by that method.  Please don't let feelings overcome your judgment is all that I am saying.

You will be in my prayers.

In Christ,

Peter

My prayers for you, Little Flower.

Peter has given an excellent reply.

I also came to Orthodoxy from Roman Catholicism by studying the dogmas, attending the services, and realizing that within Orthodoxy the faith has been preserved without change.

If you have relatives who are Orthodox, please talk with them.
Do not be afraid to share your struggles, as they might be able to help you.
We all have fears which prevent us from being the kind of Christian that Christ wants us to be.
Trust in God, and place all your fears in His Hands.
Love will overcome these fears.

In Christ,
Maria

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
LittleFlower

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 01:56:39 AM »

Hi Peter,

God bless!

Hi Little Flower,

Of course it is tempting to me to refer you to Orthodox sources regarding the differences between the two churches, but I feel that you made it clear you did not want that, just prayer.  You do have my prayers, and I suggest you attend Orthodox services as often as possible and speak with an Orthodox priest as well.  

If you are uncomfortable with the Orthodox parish you have been visiting, there are many others representing different jurisdictions as well where you might find one that you are more at home in.  Either way, visit what churches you want to, but I truly believe the more Orthodox services you attend, the easier it will be for you to discern God's will in this matter.  Try to find a parish where the liturgy is in English if possible.  At this point in your search being able to understand what is being sung is very important.

In Christ,

Peter

Thanks Peter, I like the parish that I went to.. I'lls see where God leads me, I hope He won't let me go the wrong direction. (I do not know where He would lead me at the moment).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 02:01:06 AM by LittleFlower » Logged
LittleFlower

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 02:00:38 AM »

I also came to Orthodoxy from Roman Catholicism by studying the dogmas, attending the services, and realizing that within Orthodoxy the faith has been preserved without change.

We all have fears which prevent us from being the kind of Christian that Christ wants us to be.

In Christ,
Maria

Thanks Maria, I agree with you about trusting in God and that love overcomes fear Smiley
My parents are Orthodox, I have spoken to my dad a lot about all this, he is praying for me as well.

God bless
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 03:07:08 AM »

In Christ,
Maria

Thanks Maria, I agree with you about trusting in God and that love overcomes fear Smiley
My parents are Orthodox, I have spoken to my dad a lot about all this, he is praying for me as well.

God bless

Dear Little Flower,

I am very saddened to see a non-prayer response to your prayer request.

Please ignore those who do not follow the rules, and keep your thoughts on Christ, who loves you.
If you would wish more information, do feel free to start another thread in another section.

Orthodox Christians believe that God is everywhere present and fills all things, so yes, we experience His Divine Energies all around us.

Even at times when I could not receive Holy Communion in the Orthodox Church, when I was a catechumen or when I was nauseas and dared not receive, I would feel His Presence very strongly as I lovingly beheld the Chalice.

Know that I am praying for you, and I hope that your soul finds rest within Orthodoxy.
However, I would rather that you remain a good devout Catholic if your search leads you to stay within Catholicism.

God grant you many years.

Prayerfully in Christ,
Maria

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 03:08:23 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 03:20:18 AM »

Lord, have mercy on LittleFlower.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 03:52:30 AM »

Non-prayer tangent has been moved to Orthodox-Catholic Discussion.

In keeping with the purpose of the Prayer Forum, let's keep this thread focused on prayer and keep the commentary out. Thank you.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=34938.0
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 03:54:16 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: