OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 01:49:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Prayers of old England  (Read 8952 times) Average Rating: 0
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2013, 04:31:29 PM »

The prayerbook really does exist. I received it about 5 months after sending a check, but it is very well done. I hope St. Hilarion Press can be revived with more WR books.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
KShaft

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2013, 09:30:31 PM »

Well, in truth I prefer the eastern Divine office and Liturgy. Sometimes however, seeing a western style office, and hearing stuff with Gregorian Chant and polyphonic western style chanting feels like home. I cant really read out of my monastic dinural from St. Michaels abbey. I dont like it. The prayers feel stiff, stuffy for lack of a better way to describe it. I  prefer the prayers in the LA press BCP, and Fr. Aidans prayer book. Different prayers, different psalter. The prayers have a more ornate, poetic feel to em, more like the Eastern prayers. Like your giving glory; not stating a point on a thesis. The OPoOE is a better book, its not some Anglican construct with Calvinist crap removed, its the Orthodox prayer rule restored (basically)(but the LA press BCP is nice none the less, but its Orthodox by adoption not organically). Saying Vespers in the western style is much more doable than the eastern rite. Meaning its shorter. But I do sometimes add in the introduction bows, the prayer to the Holy Spirit, and a Trisagion in Latin... in addition to the Our Father and Hail Mary (and maybe the Ap creed if its not in the particular time of prayer [sext or none for instance] is how I do it. ) you are supposed to say before starting.  Doing Vespers in the East takes 45min to an hour if you include all the propers and the Kathisma. Doing the western style it takes 25 minutes. Heck Eastern Compline takes me 25 min since I dont read at monk speed. So as a layman you can participate in more of the rule.
Anyway, since we have such short attention spans nowadays, I can go back and forth between this and say, the Jordanville prayer book. If I have time for afternoon prayers I just use my Old Orthodox prayer book for sixth or ninth hour. I dont really like the morning or evening prayers in that one as much as the Jordanville. Thats why I like the Jordanville so much. Best morning and evening prayer compilation out there I think. The ones that Fr. Aidan put together for the OPoOE are very nice too. They are shorter as are all of western Christendom prayers seem to be, but very lovely I think.
Since it looks like Fr. Aidan is going to send these out now,  I will not do a trace to get my money back on the MO. But in truth it is a nicety and not a necessity. Especially since the nearest WR parish is 4 hours away.

Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2013, 10:04:38 PM »

Just checked Amazon.co.uk website and found they had 1 used copy for £235! Nearly fell out of my easy lift chair.
Tags: prayer book 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: