OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 07:35:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A beautiful thing.  (Read 425 times) Average Rating: 0
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« on: April 02, 2011, 10:25:17 AM »

Last night, we had some visitors for our Stations of the Cross service who had never attended any type of Western Rite service before. It turned out that it was an elderly Greek man, and his son, both of whom were "cradle" Orthodox who had been advised to come by His Grace Bishop BASIL (who is quite fond of the service that we do, which was compiled by our Priest and his wife). Talking with them afterwards, the elderly man exclaimed, "This is what we should be doing during Lent!" The man's son said, "Wow, we are so blessed to have a Western Rite parish in this city. What an important witness! We have so much to learn from each other!" They both went on and on about how beautiful and meaningful and reverential it all was, and are very much looking forward to coming to one of our Masses during Holy Week.

I had no particular reason for sharing this, other than I thought it was a beautiful thing that two people who were born and raised in the Eastern tradition, and love it so strongly, could attend a Western service and have that kind of response. It really does confirm that, despite what hesitations or "issues" that some people have toward the Western Rite (legitimate or not), that actually going to services and experiencing it for yourself can make all the difference.

It's easy to read things online, or read texts and history, and make up your mind about something without having even experienced the thing itself. If some of you have never attended a Western Orthodox service, and you are close enough to a parish, I'd really encourage you to support them and try to attend a service during Lent!
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 08:47:51 PM »

Sleeper,

Do you mind if I ask which parish you attend?

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 03:20:42 PM »

Talking with them afterwards, the elderly man exclaimed, "This is what we should be doing during Lent!"

In such countries as Poland or Ukraine - but definitely not Greece - there is an Orthodox Lenten service called Passion which is said to be Latin in origin (introduced probably by St Peter Mohyla) and can be considered a counterpart of the Stations of the Cross.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 03:22:49 PM by Michał » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: