OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 06:24:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I believe again  (Read 327 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: April 01, 2011, 05:46:22 PM »

A N Wilson writes on how his conversion to atheism may have been similar to a road to Damascus experience but his return to faith has been slow and doubting
http://www.newstatesman.com/religion/2009/04/conversion-experience-atheism

Fascinating article, I highly enjoyed it. What struck me as the best bit was this:

reminded me of all the human qualities that have to be denied if you embrace the bleak, muddled creed of a materialist atheist. It is a bit like trying to assert that music is an aberration, and that although Bach and Beethoven are very impressive, one is better off without a musical sense.

Being an atheist means tuning yourself out of the beauty of life, "they seem to me like people who have no ear for music, or who have never been in love." Exactly.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 05:51:37 PM »

I like A.N. Wilson--believer or not. His book on Jesus was good, and his book on Paul was fantastic. His book God's Funeral was a bit dry, but I'm sure that had more to do with the subject than his writing abilities.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: