OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 03:42:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: At Least 12 Killed During Koran-Burning Protest at UN Office in Afghanistan  (Read 692 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: April 01, 2011, 03:13:36 PM »

At Least 12 Killed During Koran-Burning Protest at UN Office in Afghanistan

Thousands of protesters angry over the purported burning of a Koran by a Florida pastor stormed a United Nations compound Friday in northern Afghanistan, killing at least 12 people, including eight foreigners.

Two of the foreigners were beheaded, Reuters reported. There were unconfirmed reports that the death toll was as high as 20...

There are many foolish priests out there.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 03:55:46 PM »

Such a peaceful demonstration by followers of a peaceful religion.

Very sad.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 03:58:46 PM »

Isus!

Was there any proof that Rev. Jones actually went through with burning the Qu'ran? (Stupid idea in the first place.)

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 04:16:08 PM »

Isus!
Was there any proof that Rev. Jones actually went through with burning the Qu'ran? (Stupid idea in the first place.)

Newsweek ran an article this winter saying he changed his mind because the US army told him it was a bad idea.

The Fox News article Asteriktos linked to says:

The Florida pastor had backed down but the church claimed that it went through with the burning last month.

The Gainesville, Florida church's website stated that after a five-hour trial on March 20, the Koran "was found guilty and a copy was burned inside the building." A picture on the website shows a book in flames in a small portable fire pit. The church on Friday repeated its claim that a Koran had been burned.

A five hour trial for a heretical religious work, and burning: mentally in the head, it's messed up.

It's a messed up situation that doesn't make sense. The Soviet Union had enough trouble there with the US gov't backing the "freedom fighters". The situation is too similar now, with the battle for a modern pro-West orientation replacing the battle for a modern pro-Soviet one. I think it's hard to fix, even if the US allied more with Afghanistan's neighbors Russia and China and asked them to help run the place, although that would probably be a good start.

Eternal Memory Sad
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 04:26:18 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 04:31:09 PM »

Up to 20 people, I hear now...
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 04:35:03 PM »

May their memory be eternal.

Cry Cry Cry As someone who studies the region, this isn't a shock at all but such a tragedy. SO furious that the Rev. baited the media circus with this story. (I'm not saying that the killers are not responsible. They are. But I will repeat: What a stupid, stupid decision on his part.)

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 08:08:25 PM »

Couldn't they have just burned a New Testament? I wouldn't care, and I'm sure God would have preferred that to killing people.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 08:09:17 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 08:15:37 PM »

Couldn't they have just burned a New Testament? I wouldn't care, and I'm sure God would have preferred that to killing people.

See, but that would actually make more sense, because that requires the existence of a brain and a heart in these people.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 08:55:40 PM »

As someone who studies the region, this isn't a shock at all but such a tragedy.

Same opinion.  It reminds me of the '79 incident where furious Pakistanis attacked the U.S. Embassy because they were convinced the U.S. (along with Zionists) had taken over the Grand Mosque in Mecca.  Hard to get your facts sorted when you're getting your Intel from a frothing at the mouth imam.

See, but that would actually make more sense, because that requires the existence of a brain and a heart in these people.

Can't get more logical than killing a bunch of Swedes and Gurkha to retaliate against some random person in the U.S. reportedly burning scripture... Sigh.

Lord, have mercy.   

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: