OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 02:45:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Head Coverings for Men  (Read 2694 times) Average Rating: 0
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« on: March 31, 2011, 09:54:22 PM »

I was wondering if within the OO, whether Coptic, or Ethiopian etc. men wore head coverings. I know that this is not generally done during Liturgy, but do men wear them outside of the Church building as a religious observance?
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Pray for me, Sts. Mina & Kyrillos VI for my exams

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 09:04:18 AM »

I was wondering if within the OO, whether Coptic, or Ethiopian etc. men wore head coverings. I know that this is not generally done during Liturgy, but do men wear them outside of the Church building as a religious observance?

As far as I know the only men in the Coptic Church that are allowed to cover their heads (and in virtually all cases of the clergy must cover their heads anyway) are the clergy.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 03:39:09 PM »

I could have swore that there were some OOs that covered their heads outside of liturgical services. Hmm. Is it an Ethiopian observance, or did I completely dream this up?
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 05:33:41 PM »

I could have swore that there were some OOs that covered their heads outside of liturgical services. Hmm. Is it an Ethiopian observance, or did I completely dream this up?

What do you mean "cover their heads"?  When liturgy is done and people leave the building, some men do wear hats.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 06:23:57 PM »

What do you mean "cover their heads"?  When liturgy is done and people leave the building, some men do wear hats.
Do men wear head coverings as a religious local tradition? Obviously removed during liturgical services unless they are a member of clergy.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 06:24:54 PM by PoorFoolNicholas » Logged
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 06:44:48 PM »

What do you mean "cover their heads"?  When liturgy is done and people leave the building, some men do wear hats.
Do men wear head coverings as a religious local tradition? Obviously removed during liturgical services unless they are a member of clergy.

Coptic men in general adapt to the culture around them.  So there is no "religious local tradition" like Jews that Copts partake of.  I understand the same to be with the Armenians, Syrians, Indians, and with almost certainty, Ethiopians.

Whatever local tradition that leads Coptic men to wear hats (whether they live in the south and wear cowboy hats, or they're from the hood and wear caps), they're asked to remove those hats as they enter the church, at least in my own church.

PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 11:03:53 AM »

I have read somewhere that the poster here Gebre Menfes Kiddus, wears a head covering. Is this his personal thing, or is it a Tewado thing? Please feel free to chime in our Ethiopian brothers.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 11:04:40 AM by PoorFoolNicholas » Logged
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 09:21:34 PM »

I have read somewhere that the poster here Gebre Menfes Kiddus, wears a head covering. Is this his personal thing, or is it a Tewado thing? Please feel free to chime in our Ethiopian brothers.
*BUMP*
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 09:32:49 PM »

I have seen an Ethiopian family visit our church.  They wore all white over their clothing, but females only covered their heads.  I'm not sure if this is true with all Ethiopians.  I can't speak for Gebre.  If he doesn't answer this thread, maybe you should PM him.

Tikhon.of.Colorado
But you can call me Trevor.
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 09:54:39 PM »

but I recall seeing some type of prayer hat used among copts....

in my Church, if I chose to cover my head, all of the babushka's would smack me in the back of the head with their purses until I took off what ever I had on  Cheesy

Maybe I'm posting, maybe I'm not.  Who knows...
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 10:04:43 PM »

but I recall seeing some type of prayer hat used among copts....

in my Church, if I chose to cover my head, all of the babushka's would smack me in the back of the head with their purses until I took off what ever I had on  Cheesy

I've seen some families like to wear something similar to what some priests wear.  I don't know what's it's called in english.  It's like a yamaka, but it covers most of the head.  It's similar in practice to a Muslim kufie.  Some people like to wear it for personal purposes, as a practice to remind them to ask for God to keep away evil thoughts from their heads.

But in some other areas, it's usually a cultural thing, especially if the hat is not black like the priest's.  My family carries a hat that was knitted by my grandmother (no one wears it though).  But it's a hat you can buy from anywhere in Egypt, as both Muslims and Christians can wear similar hats.

But liturgically, it's not proper for a man to cover one's head unless you're at least a Deacon (full deacon).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:06:56 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 07:59:03 AM »

In the Holy Land I saw quite a few Coptic laymen wearing head coverings during church services. They were not asked to remove them, but I think that has more to do with the priest not wanting to make a scene than it being considered acceptable. St. Paul is quite clear on male head coverings during prayer.
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 09:28:20 AM »

St. Paul is quite clear on male head coverings during prayer.

That is true, but how does one reconcile the head coverings worn by bishops and some clergy during the services (mitres, klobuks, etc.) with the words of St. Paul that men are not to cover their heads at prayer? 

1 Cor. 11:7

For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 10:05:23 AM »

In the Holy Land I saw quite a few Coptic laymen wearing head coverings during church services.
See, that's what I thought, thanks for confirming. Were the head coverings similar to a
Yamulke?
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 12:09:24 PM »

In the Holy Land I saw quite a few Coptic laymen wearing head coverings during church services.
See, that's what I thought, thanks for confirming. Were the head coverings similar to a
Yamulke?

If anything, I don't think there's a spiritual significance for wearing the head coverings.  Most of the pictures of Coptic men I see in Jerusalem do not wear anything on their heads.

Here's an example of the head covering among clergy I was talking about (the one on the left):

from coptichymns.net

Here's another example (all the way in the right):

From stmina-monastery.org/

And then there are other hats that are cultural, like the guy who's second from the right, who's might not be a monk (or monk-to-be), but just sitting with the monks as you see here:

Well, these are all examples of hats that some laymen do wear.  However, the Church usually do not like it if a layman wear such hats in liturgy.  Not only is it considered disrespectful, but you'd be confused for a cleric.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 12:19:35 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 08:08:06 PM »

*BUMP*

Sorry, I just saw this. I sometimes wear a head covering just for personal tastes (as depicted in my avatar photo.) It's sort of a Rasta thing for me. But when entering the Church, all men other than clergy remove all head coverings. Women in Church keep their heads covered.

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 01:22:56 PM »

Yamulke?

Nope, just regular Arabic keffiyeh type things. Nothing to do with religion. I think they were just simple people unaware that wearing them to church is inappropriate.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 01:29:10 PM »

That is true, but how does one reconcile the head coverings worn by bishops and some clergy during the services (mitres, klobuks, etc.) with the words of St. Paul that men are not to cover their heads at prayer? 

For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

Given that St. Paul associates head coverings worn during prayer with signs of obedience, headship, etc., it could be that those under a particular priestly or monastic obedience cover their heads for that reason.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 02:06:45 PM »

Given that St. Paul associates head coverings worn during prayer with signs of obedience, headship, etc., it could be that those under a particular priestly or monastic obedience cover their heads for that reason.

I remember a priest once talked about why he keeps his head covered, simply because as a priest, he has become somewhat of a representative of the Church, who is the mystical bride of Christ.  Thus, by his submission, he also covers his head.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 05:57:29 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Men were prayer shawls, but generally keep our heads uncovered.  From my experience, Ethiopians aren't necessarily that strict about men wearing head coverings inside the Church, such as beanies when it is cold, and sometimes more elderly men do not take off their ball-caps, though I am sure it is not necessarily intentional.  We keep our feet uncovered though, strictly.  I bridge both gaps.  When I had dreads, I didn't cover my head during Liturgy, and folks were a bit distant from me.  Then one day my priest asked me to wear a head covering (the tams I usually wore 24/7 every else except Liturgy the way Bobo Dread always were turban, it was sin to let my locks be visible to outsiders) out of politeness, and suddenly BAM, people were going out of their way to meet me and say hello.  The head covering made a world of difference for people's comfort zone. I assume the head covering which bro Gebre Menfes Kiddus mentioned is the same situation, to cover dreads..

My priests even asked me to keep it on when approaching the Altar for Holy Communion, and advised the other dreadlocks member ship to do the same citing my adherence as an example.  Of course it is reversed since I cut my dread, on the other side of the coin, once by coincidence my hands were full and I had to put on my ball cap to hold my plate and coffee at breakfast hour, and the clergy passed by, we revere the clergy and stand up when they pass by, and 99% I take of my cap and tip it to them, but in this case my hands were full of hot food and coffee so I couldn't, and still my priest made a note to come ask me to remove my cap.  So I assume the head covering rules are flexible to the circumstance.  When the head covering was hiding dreadlocks, it was the polite and appropriate thing to do, just as if it is really cold inside a beanie is no thing, but the ball cap was a bit disrespectful. Of course, while I always (internally, I didn't need to priest to tell me about it, my gramps already taught me about reverent ettiquete since I was small, holding open doors, giving up your seat, taking of your hat for elders and women etc etc) take of my cap for the clergy (I tend to eat lunch with them on Sundays since I work with the Sunday school) I often see a lot of older men NOT take of their cap for the clergy, and the clergy don't even seem to notice. In that regard, then I personally interpreted the double-standard as being spiritual, the priest who corrected me knew spiritually that I always take off my cap, whereas when they allow others that is because those folks maybe do not follow the same ettiquette.  As Apostle James said

Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 05:58:40 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags: head coverings 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: