Author Topic: Workshop on faith looks doubts in the eye [Frank Schaeffer]  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
Workshop on faith looks doubts in the eye [Frank Schaeffer]
« on: March 31, 2011, 03:31:24 PM »
Faith is a journey and facing doubts is part of the journey, according to Frank Schaeffer, a best-selling New York Times author and popular blogger for the Huffington Post.

Schaeffer will present a workshop “Articulating an Authentic Faith for People Who Don't Like Religion (or Atheism)” on Saturday, sharing his journey from conservative evangelical beliefs to joining the Eastern Orthodox Church.

“I tell people my own doubts, my own story. People aren't used to hearing people share doubts,” Schaeffer said Monday in a phone interview.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline tuesdayschild

• High Elder
Re: Workshop on faith looks doubts in the eye [Frank Schaeffer]
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 04:45:12 PM »
From the article linked above:
"For registration information for the workshop “Articulating an Authentic Faith for People Who Don't Like Religion (or Atheism),” contact St. Peter's Episcopal Church or call the Rev. Kim Morgan at St. Peter's Episcopal Church..."

From St. Peter's Episcopal Church, March 2011 newsletter, page 4:
"...for those who know Rev. Kim she always has interesting and thought provoking programs."

I'm sure Frank Schaeffer and Rev. Kim will present the Orthodox Church and Orthodoxy accurately.

Offline Father H

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Nea Roma
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 05:31:25 PM »
Faith is a journey and facing doubts is part of the journey, according to Frank Schaeffer, a best-selling New York Times author and popular blogger for the Huffington Post.

Schaeffer will present a workshop “Articulating an Authentic Faith for People Who Don't Like Religion (or Atheism)” on Saturday, sharing his journey from conservative evangelical beliefs to joining the Eastern Orthodox Church.

“I tell people my own doubts, my own story. People aren't used to hearing people share doubts,” Schaeffer said Monday in a phone interview.

LHM

Offline Father H

• Archon
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 05:35:14 PM »
"For registration information for the workshop “Articulating an Authentic Faith for People Who Don't Like Religion (or Atheism),” contact St. Peter's Episcopal Church or call the Rev. Kim Morgan at St. Peter's Episcopal Church..."

"...for those who know Rev. Kim she always has interesting and thought provoking programs."

I'm sure Frank Schaeffer and Rev. Kim will present the Orthodox Church and Orthodoxy accurately.

Have you ever seen his three dvd's that are are intro to the Orthodox Faith?  Hopefully he doesn't move at the next general meeting to make Rev. Kim his parish priest. 

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 05:38:07 PM »
That's so sad.

Won't folks wonder why there's a lecture given on Orthodoxy in an Episcopal Church....with a female priest, no less.

It stands to reason, that the talk will be "politically correct" and therefore, meaningless.

What a shame.

I hope he doesn't misrepresent Orthodoxy to such a degree as to confuse or lose some who might have a genuine interest.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 06:36:36 PM »

Have you ever seen his three dvd's that are are intro to the Orthodox Faith?  Hopefully he doesn't move at the next general meeting to make Rev. Kim his parish priest. 
Are his DVDs considered heretical?
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Father H

• Archon
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 07:51:29 PM »
No, they are not heretical.  But in my opinion they are bad for a neophyte and probably not good for those who are weak in the faith either. 
The thing that bothers me most about them is that he makes it acceptable to not take the sacraments or the life in Christ seriously. 

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
  • Jurisdiction: GOC
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 08:01:07 PM »

No, they are not heretical.  But in my opinion they are bad for a neophyte and probably not good for those who are weak in the faith either. 
The thing that bothers me most about them is that he makes it acceptable to not take the sacraments or the life in Christ seriously. 

My parish priest did not like those tapes, and if asked, did not recommend those for neophytes.
I know several inquirers who bought and listened to those tapes, and based on what Frank said, they decided that the Orthodox Church was not their cup of tea.
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline Father H

• Archon
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 08:51:42 PM »
^Thank you for sharing that.  Of course, as one person remarked to me, "Frank is not a spokesperson for Orthodoxy."  But to the outsider who is looking at many options, knows little of Orthodoxy and runs across it, he is.  Hopefully they will take a second look some day. 

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
  • Jurisdiction: GOC
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 09:03:29 PM »
^Thank you for sharing that.  Of course, as one person remarked to me, "Frank is not a spokesperson for Orthodoxy."  But to the outsider who is looking at many options, knows little of Orthodoxy and runs across it, he is.  Hopefully they will take a second look some day. 

Dear Father,

Father Bless!

You are very welcome.

Because inquirers and those outside Orthodoxy can make the assumption that Frank and other publishers are spokespersons for Orthodoxy, my spiritual father always recommends that laity get permission of their priest or bishop before publishing or videotaping their conversion stories or theological opinions. This presents real problems with Orthodox laity run blogs and websites, and this is why I enjoy posting here because we do have priests who oversee this forum.

In Christ,
Maria
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline FatherGiryus

• A terrible human being
  • Archon
  • Faith: Genuine New Calendar Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochianistic Eparchy
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 09:52:01 PM »
<snip>

I almost fell out of my chair with laughter!
http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 09:53:29 PM »
Is there anything specific you remember, that was egregious?
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Father H

• Archon
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 10:10:32 PM »
^Why do you ask?       

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 10:25:58 PM »
^Why do you ask?       
You stated that he made it seem as if one need not take the sacraments or the life in Christ seriously. I was wondering if he presented a certain tone (perhaps as a reaction to his evangelical upbringing) in the way he spoke, without explicitly questioning certain teachings. On the other hand, I'm familiar with his stances on various "hot-topic" political issues, so perhaps you're referring to those.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Father H

• Archon
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 10:33:48 PM »
^Why do you ask?       
You stated that he made it seem as if one need not take the sacraments or the life in Christ seriously. I was wondering if he presented a certain tone (perhaps as a reaction to his evangelical upbringing) in the way he spoke, without explicitly questioning certain teachings. On the other hand, I'm familiar with his stances on various "hot-topic" political issues, so perhaps you're referring to those.

I see.  No, for example, he simply equated an apostate who still roasts a lamb on a spit once a year to a devout faithful or monastic. You have to see the videos to know what I mean, but there is one example that is uninspiring to the newcomer. 

Online ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 11:00:49 PM »

LHM
LHM?
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 11:05:43 PM »
^Lord Have Mercy I would guess...

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 05:46:22 PM »
Don't trust Frank Schaeffer in the slightest.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan