OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 12:57:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Workshop on faith looks doubts in the eye [Frank Schaeffer]  (Read 1103 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: March 31, 2011, 03:31:24 PM »

Faith is a journey and facing doubts is part of the journey, according to Frank Schaeffer, a best-selling New York Times author and popular blogger for the Huffington Post.

Schaeffer will present a workshop “Articulating an Authentic Faith for People Who Don't Like Religion (or Atheism)” on Saturday, sharing his journey from conservative evangelical beliefs to joining the Eastern Orthodox Church.

“I tell people my own doubts, my own story. People aren't used to hearing people share doubts,” Schaeffer said Monday in a phone interview.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 04:45:12 PM »

From the article linked above:
"For registration information for the workshop “Articulating an Authentic Faith for People Who Don't Like Religion (or Atheism),” contact St. Peter's Episcopal Church or call the Rev. Kim Morgan at St. Peter's Episcopal Church..."

From St. Peter's Episcopal Church, March 2011 newsletter, page 4:
"...for those who know Rev. Kim she always has interesting and thought provoking programs."

I'm sure Frank Schaeffer and Rev. Kim will present the Orthodox Church and Orthodoxy accurately.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 05:31:25 PM »

Faith is a journey and facing doubts is part of the journey, according to Frank Schaeffer, a best-selling New York Times author and popular blogger for the Huffington Post.

Schaeffer will present a workshop “Articulating an Authentic Faith for People Who Don't Like Religion (or Atheism)” on Saturday, sharing his journey from conservative evangelical beliefs to joining the Eastern Orthodox Church.

“I tell people my own doubts, my own story. People aren't used to hearing people share doubts,” Schaeffer said Monday in a phone interview.

LHM
Father H
Archon

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 05:35:14 PM »

"For registration information for the workshop “Articulating an Authentic Faith for People Who Don't Like Religion (or Atheism),” contact St. Peter's Episcopal Church or call the Rev. Kim Morgan at St. Peter's Episcopal Church..."

"...for those who know Rev. Kim she always has interesting and thought provoking programs."

I'm sure Frank Schaeffer and Rev. Kim will present the Orthodox Church and Orthodoxy accurately.

Have you ever seen his three dvd's that are are intro to the Orthodox Faith?  Hopefully he doesn't move at the next general meeting to make Rev. Kim his parish priest. 
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 05:38:07 PM »

That's so sad.

Won't folks wonder why there's a lecture given on Orthodoxy in an Episcopal Church....with a female priest, no less.

It stands to reason, that the talk will be "politically correct" and therefore, meaningless.

What a shame.

I hope he doesn't misrepresent Orthodoxy to such a degree as to confuse or lose some who might have a genuine interest.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 06:36:36 PM »

Have you ever seen his three dvd's that are are intro to the Orthodox Faith?  Hopefully he doesn't move at the next general meeting to make Rev. Kim his parish priest. 
Are his DVDs considered heretical?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Father H
Archon

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 07:51:29 PM »

No, they are not heretical.  But in my opinion they are bad for a neophyte and probably not good for those who are weak in the faith either. 
The thing that bothers me most about them is that he makes it acceptable to not take the sacraments or the life in Christ seriously. 
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 08:01:07 PM »

No, they are not heretical.  But in my opinion they are bad for a neophyte and probably not good for those who are weak in the faith either. 
The thing that bothers me most about them is that he makes it acceptable to not take the sacraments or the life in Christ seriously. 

My parish priest did not like those tapes, and if asked, did not recommend those for neophytes.
I know several inquirers who bought and listened to those tapes, and based on what Frank said, they decided that the Orthodox Church was not their cup of tea.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Father H
Archon

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 08:51:42 PM »

^Thank you for sharing that.  Of course, as one person remarked to me, "Frank is not a spokesperson for Orthodoxy."  But to the outsider who is looking at many options, knows little of Orthodoxy and runs across it, he is.  Hopefully they will take a second look some day. 
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 09:03:29 PM »

^Thank you for sharing that.  Of course, as one person remarked to me, "Frank is not a spokesperson for Orthodoxy."  But to the outsider who is looking at many options, knows little of Orthodoxy and runs across it, he is.  Hopefully they will take a second look some day. 

Dear Father,

Father Bless!

You are very welcome.

Because inquirers and those outside Orthodoxy can make the assumption that Frank and other publishers are spokespersons for Orthodoxy, my spiritual father always recommends that laity get permission of their priest or bishop before publishing or videotaping their conversion stories or theological opinions. This presents real problems with Orthodox laity run blogs and websites, and this is why I enjoy posting here because we do have priests who oversee this forum.

In Christ,
Maria

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 09:52:01 PM »

<snip>

I almost fell out of my chair with laughter!

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 09:53:29 PM »

Is there anything specific you remember, that was egregious?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Father H
Archon

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 10:10:32 PM »

^Why do you ask?       
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 10:25:58 PM »

^Why do you ask?       
You stated that he made it seem as if one need not take the sacraments or the life in Christ seriously. I was wondering if he presented a certain tone (perhaps as a reaction to his evangelical upbringing) in the way he spoke, without explicitly questioning certain teachings. On the other hand, I'm familiar with his stances on various "hot-topic" political issues, so perhaps you're referring to those.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Father H
Archon

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 10:33:48 PM »

^Why do you ask?       
You stated that he made it seem as if one need not take the sacraments or the life in Christ seriously. I was wondering if he presented a certain tone (perhaps as a reaction to his evangelical upbringing) in the way he spoke, without explicitly questioning certain teachings. On the other hand, I'm familiar with his stances on various "hot-topic" political issues, so perhaps you're referring to those.

I see.  No, for example, he simply equated an apostate who still roasts a lamb on a spit once a year to a devout faithful or monastic. You have to see the videos to know what I mean, but there is one example that is uninspiring to the newcomer. 
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 11:00:49 PM »

LHM
LHM?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 11:05:43 PM »

^Lord Have Mercy I would guess...

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 05:46:22 PM »

Don't trust Frank Schaeffer in the slightest.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: