OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 07:57:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the Old Testament read alongside the epistle & Gospel in WR Divine Liturgy?  (Read 1024 times) Average Rating: 0
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« on: March 31, 2011, 02:14:54 PM »

I guess I stated everything in the subject heading.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 03:22:08 PM »

From what I know, at the Mass, there is an epistle and Gospel reading. OT readings are done during Matins.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Reader KevinAndrew

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Western Rite

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 05:45:36 AM »

I guess I stated everything in the subject heading.

No, it is not.
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 08:55:18 PM »

This is something that VII did I believe.

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
relling

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Lansing

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 09:55:58 PM »

The Western Rite has 4 readings at the Sunday mass (Divine Liturgy).

First reading - Old Testament
verses from a Psalm are sung between the 1st and 2nd readings.
Second reading - New Testament
Third reading - the Gospel

God bless you
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 12:01:30 AM »

God bless you
Is this Gregorian, Tikhonian, Sarum, or common to all three?

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 04:30:34 PM »

God bless you
Is this Gregorian, Tikhonian, Sarum, or common to all three?

None of the above. It's RC Novus Ordo.

The Roman mass / Liturgy of St. Tikhon / Sarum normally have the epistle, gradual, Alleluia (replaced with tract or enhanced with a sequence at certain times), and Gospel. There are old testament readings on Ember Days and Pascha (and possibly a few others I'm forgetting).
Subdeacon Michael

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 12:51:02 PM »

The RC Novus Ordo pattern of readings (Old Testament, Gradual Psalm, New Testament, Alleluia, Gospel) at the mass is actually a restoration of the more ancient practice within the Roman Rite, which fell into disuse by the high mediaeval period.  It is also the practice found in the Orthodox Western Rite in the Gregorian Mass used at the monasteries of Our Lady of Mount Royal in Florida, USA, and Christ the Saviour in Hamilton, Canada.  This is also the pattern preserved in the Gallican Liturgy of St Germain of Paris.  The Antiochene Liturgy of St James and the Alexandrian Liturgy of St Mark, both blessed for use within ROCOR, also have Old Testament readings, (although this may be considered optional in the latter due to the difference in Alexandrian practice over the centuries), so the use of the Old Testament at the eucharistic liturgy is nothing like the 20th-century Latin innovation that it is ocassionally portrayed as being.

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 04:51:26 PM »

The RC Novus Ordo pattern of readings (Old Testament, Gradual Psalm, New Testament, Alleluia, Gospel) at the mass is actually a restoration of the more ancient practice within the Roman Rite, which fell into disuse by the high mediaeval period.  It is also the practice found in the Orthodox Western Rite in the Gregorian Mass used at the monasteries of Our Lady of Mount Royal in Florida, USA, and Christ the Saviour in Hamilton, Canada.  This is also the pattern preserved in the Gallican Liturgy of St Germain of Paris.  The Antiochene Liturgy of St James and the Alexandrian Liturgy of St Mark, both blessed for use within ROCOR, also have Old Testament readings, (although this may be considered optional in the latter due to the difference in Alexandrian practice over the centuries), so the use of the Old Testament at the eucharistic liturgy is nothing like the 20th-century Latin innovation that it is ocassionally portrayed as being.

The Ambrosian rite has an Old Testament reading. Nobody knows for sure what the Gallican rite had -- I wouldn't be surprised if it had an OT reading, but the "Liturgy of St. Germain" is a modern reconstruction and isn't evidence for anything.

I've never seen any credible evidence that the Roman rite ever had an OT reading as a standard part of the Mass. Do the ROCOR monasteries have an ancient lectionary they're using, or did they make one up?

(And what's with the insistence of many in the WR in referring to the Mass as "the liturgy"? It's the Mass! That's what it's always been called in the west! It's almost like they're trying to have the western rites without the Latin heritage that comes with them...)
Tags: Wester rite discussion 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: