OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 08:42:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Queen of Heaven" and "Theotokos, Crowned by the Trinity" -- Difference?  (Read 1840 times) Average Rating: 0
jordanz

Faith: Roman Catholic

« on: March 30, 2011, 09:34:24 PM »

Over on a thread about the Rosary Altar Boy listed the various mysteries of the St. Seraphim adaptation of the Rosary.  

The last 'mystery' is "The Crowning of the Mother of God by the Blessed Trinity".  How is this different from "The Coronation of Mary, Queen of Heaven" (Maria Regina) in the Roman tradition?  Is there a significant theological difference, or is this a case of distinctive Western and Eastern titles for the same doctrine?  
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:35:15 PM by jordanz » Logged
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:50:16 PM »

As far as I have seen, both sides recognize the Theotokos as being essentially the Queen Mum of the Universe & Heaven.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 10:25:23 PM »

Mary is Recognized as Queen of Heaven and Earth in the Orthodox tradition in my experience as well as Mother of the Church.

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 12:04:44 AM »

Dear Jordanz,

For a theological comment, from the Melkite bishops, please see message 2

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,34557.msg545798.html#msg545798

Also, click on the Tag "Queen of Heaven" at the bottom left of this page.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:13:13 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
jordanz

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 06:43:55 AM »

Dear Jordanz,

For a theological comment, from the Melkite bishops, please see message 2

Also, click on the Tag "Queen of Heaven" at the bottom left of this page.

Thanks.  I now see that both West and East hold to the same doctrine, but under different names.

Heck, I even read somewhere that Martin Luther confessed that Our Lady is the Queen of Heaven!  (no joke).  Then again, I also think I read somewhere that Martin Luther still held to the Holy Dormition/Assumption even after his official break with the Roman Church.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 06:44:47 AM by jordanz » Logged
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 09:35:06 AM »

Heck, I even read somewhere that Martin Luther confessed that Our Lady is the Queen of Heaven!  (no joke).  Then again, I also think I read somewhere that Martin Luther still held to the Holy Dormition/Assumption even after his official break with the Roman Church.

Luther also espoused the perpetual virginity of the Mother of God, as did, surprisingly enough, Calvin and Zwingli. The attempt to completely remove the Mother of God from the record (Mary reduced to a mere "vessel", or the notion that she and Joseph had further children) appeared centuries later in protestant thought and belief.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 04:40:59 PM »

Heck, I even read somewhere that Martin Luther confessed that Our Lady is the Queen of Heaven!  (no joke).  Then again, I also think I read somewhere that Martin Luther still held to the Holy Dormition/Assumption even after his official break with the Roman Church.

Luther also espoused the perpetual virginity of the Mother of God, as did, surprisingly enough, Calvin and Zwingli. The attempt to completely remove the Mother of God from the record (Mary reduced to a mere "vessel", or the notion that she and Joseph had further children) appeared centuries later in protestant thought and belief.

Protestants as late as John Wesley in the 17th century accepted the Perpetual Virginity of the Theotokos without any question whatsoever. They also tended to refer to her, I believe, as the Mother of God (I know Calvin did) as well. That was standard until quite recently (last couple centuries).

When I found this out...I was shocked, and felt betrayed by my Protestant upbringing! It actually played a large role in my digging deeper into Holy Tradition, and ultimately my conversion to Orthodoxy.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 04:59:43 PM »

When I found this out...I was shocked, and felt betrayed by my Protestant upbringing! It actually played a large role in my digging deeper into Holy Tradition, and ultimately my conversion to Orthodoxy.
Thanks be to God. I had a similar experience on my way to coming into full communion with the Catholic Church.
jordanz

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 05:07:12 PM »

Protestants as late as John Wesley in the 17th century accepted the Perpetual Virginity of the Theotokos without any question whatsoever. They also tended to refer to her, I believe, as the Mother of God (I know Calvin did) as well. That was standard until quite recently (last couple centuries).

Okay, so which Protestants believe in the perpetual virginity and which don't?

Anglicanism officially believes in the perpetual virginity.  Given the recent theological atomization of Anglicanism, it's hard to tell what "Anglicanism" means anymore.

Confessional Lutherans believe in the perpetual virginity.

Do most Reformed Christians still believe in the perpetual virginity?  How about Arminianist traditions?

jordanz

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 09:35:17 PM »

Okay, so which Protestants believe in the perpetual virginity and which don't?

Anglicanism officially believes in the perpetual virginity.  Given the recent theological atomization of Anglicanism, it's hard to tell what "Anglicanism" means anymore.

Confessional Lutherans believe in the perpetual virginity.

Do most Reformed Christians still believe in the perpetual virginity?  How about Arminianist traditions?

I'm spinning this one off to the Orthodox/Protestantism sub-board.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 09:36:57 PM by jordanz » Logged
Tags: Queen of Heaven 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: