OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 05:43:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for Catholics  (Read 1901 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« on: April 06, 2011, 01:22:45 AM »

I had nothing to read the other day, waiting for a book to get into the library, and so I grabbed something off my shelf - How to be Pope by Piers Marchant.  It said something about the entire exorcism ritual being in Latin because that is the native language of the demons.  It had no reference for this, and so I am wondering if anyone can tell me whether or not this is the accurate belief of the Catholic Church (and also clarify for me if the entire ritual is still in Latin, because I thought for some reason that it could be said in other languages now) or some strange invention of the author.

And, on a related note, if any Orthodox read this, are there any modern day movements in Orthodoxy that try to claim one language or another is THE language for the Church to use, in the way that some traditional Catholics feel Latin is THE language?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:37:36 AM »

Is Outrage! We know that Orthodox Demons clearly speak Koine Greek, maybe Church Slavonic!   Wink

Actually, the excerpts available online look both witty and informative.
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 12:38:12 PM »

Hopefully it is as podkarpatska says and it is simply the author speaking in a humorous or tongue in cheek way. Latin is not even the official language of the entire Catholic Church, just the Latin Church. You still have the 22 Eastern Catholic Churches that use their own languages for their liturgies.
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 01:16:58 PM »

...in Latin because that is the native language of the demons.
  Grin Grin Grin I can imagine there would be a lot of Orthodox people that would agree with this statement. "The pope speaks the language of demons".

Smiley I hope you realize that I am trying to be funny.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 01:41:23 PM »

Hopefully it is as podkarpatska says and it is simply the author speaking in a humorous or tongue in cheek way. Latin is not even the official language of the entire Catholic Church, just the Latin Church. You still have the 22 Eastern Catholic Churches that use their own languages for their liturgies.
Their Code of Canon Law is issued in-Latin!

Was Vatican II in any of their languages? Vatican I? Florence? Lyons?

Your supreme pontiff ex officio speaks only Latin.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:54:41 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 01:57:17 PM »

I had nothing to read the other day, waiting for a book to get into the library, and so I grabbed something off my shelf - How to be Pope by Piers Marchant.  It said something about the entire exorcism ritual being in Latin because that is the native language of the demons.  It had no reference for this, and so I am wondering if anyone can tell me whether or not this is the accurate belief of the Catholic Church (and also clarify for me if the entire ritual is still in Latin, because I thought for some reason that it could be said in other languages now) or some strange invention of the author.

And, on a related note, if any Orthodox read this, are there any modern day movements in Orthodoxy that try to claim one language or another is THE language for the Church to use, in the way that some traditional Catholics feel Latin is THE language?
Some Greeks (and oddly enough, some Arabs) think Greek is THE language, and some Russians think the same for Slavonic, but Orthodoxy prevents them from acting on such beliefs.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 03:28:22 PM »

I don't think that proves that it is the official language of our Church. It just proves that the Holy See is in Rome. If the Holy See was in China then documents would probably be issued in Chinese.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 03:33:22 PM »

The use of the Latin language, customary in a considerable portion of the Church, is a manifest and beautiful sign of unity, as well as an effective antidote for any corruption of doctrinal truth.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 02:02:09 AM »

Thank you all for the responses, I really appreciate them

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 12:28:48 PM »

The use of the Latin language, customary in a considerable portion of the Church, is a manifest and beautiful sign of unity, as well as an effective antidote for any corruption of doctrinal truth.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but the Ecumenical Patriarchate uses a form of Byzantine Greek for their official pronouncements as well as an obtuse 'Court' language that is tough to translate.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 12:59:41 PM »

Correct me if I am mistaken, but the Ecumenical Patriarchate uses a form of Byzantine Greek for their official pronouncements as well as an obtuse 'Court' language that is tough to translate.
Yes, indeed.  Some of the less important are less obtuse in the language.

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 01:08:29 PM »

Where have you been? Don't you know that if an EO Patriarchate does something it is perfectly fine? It is only worthy of anathema if Rome does it.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 01:31:58 PM »

I don't think that proves that it is the official language of our Church. It just proves that the Holy See is in Rome. If the Holy See was in China then documents would probably be issued in Chinese.

Undoubtedly, Latin is the language that has the most longevity in the Roman Liturgy: It has been in use for over sixteen centuries, that is to say, from the time when the official liturgical language of the Church went from Greek to Latin – a change completed under Pope Damasus (+384)...As can be seen, likewise according to present norms, the Latin language still holds primacy of place as that language which, based on principle, the Church prefers, even though she recognizes that the vernacular can be useful for the faithful. In the present concrete situation, liturgical celebrations in Latin have become rather rare. Hence, a motivation for using Latin is because in the Papal Liturgy (but not only in the Papal Liturgy), Latin should be safeguarded as a precious inheritance of the Western liturgical tradition. Not by chance did the Servant of God, John Paul II recall that:

“The Roman Church has special obligations towards Latin, the splendid language of ancient Rome, and she must manifest them whenever the occasion presents itself” (Dominicae cenae, n. 10).

In continuity with the Magisterium of his Predecessor, Pope Benedict XVI, besides wishing that there would be a greater use of the traditional Latin language in liturgical celebrations, especially during international gatherings, wrote:

“Speaking more generally, I ask that future priests, from their time in the seminary, receive the preparation needed to understand and to celebrate Mass in Latin, and also to use Latin texts and execute Gregorian chant; nor should we forget that the faithful can be taught to recite the more common prayers in Latin, and also to sing parts of the liturgy to Gregorian chant” (Sacramentum Caritatis, n. 62).
http://www.vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/details/ns_lit_doc_20091117_lingua-latina_en.html

....And since in God's special Providence this language united so many nations together under the authority of the Roman Empire -- and that for so many centuries -- it also became the rightful language of the Apostolic See...

Preservation of Latin by the Holy See

For these reasons the Apostolic See has always been at pains to preserve Latin, deeming it worthy of being used in the exercise of her teaching authority "as the splendid vesture of her heavenly doctrine and sacred laws."5 She further requires her sacred ministers to use it, for by so doing they are the better able, wherever they may be, to acquaint themselves with the mind of the Holy See on any matter, and communicate the more easily with Rome and with one another.

Thus the "knowledge and use of this language," so intimately bound up with the Church's life, "is important not so much on cultural or literary grounds, as for religious reasons."6 These are the words of Our Predecessor Pius XI, who conducted a scientific inquiry into this whole subject, and indicated three qualities of the Latin language which harmonize to a remarkable degree with the Church's nature. "For the Church, precisely because it embraces all nations and is destined to endure to the end of time ... of its very nature requires a language which is universal, immutable, and non-vernacular."7...

Universal

Since "every Church must assemble round the Roman Church,"8 and since the Supreme Pontiffs have "true episcopal power, ordinary and immediate, over each and every Church and each and every Pastor, as well as over the faithful"9 of every rite and language, it seems particularly desirable that the instrument of mutual communication be uniform and universal, especially between the Apostolic See and the Churches which use the same Latin rite.

When, therefore, the Roman Pontiffs wish to instruct the Catholic world, or when the Congregations of the Roman Curia handle matters or draw up decrees which concern the whole body of the faithful, they invariably make use of Latin, for this is a maternal voice acceptable to countless nations...

A resolve to uphold Latin

And We also, impelled by the weightiest of reasons -- the same as those which prompted Our Predecessors and provincial synods 13 -- are fully determined to restore this language to its position of honor, and to do all We can to promote its study and use. The employment of Latin has recently been contested in many quarters, and many are asking what the mind of the Apostolic See is in this matter. We have therefore decided to issue the timely directives contained in this document, so as to ensure that the ancient and uninterrupted use of Latin be maintained and, where necessary, restored....

Sacred sciences to be taught in Latin

5. In accordance with numerous previous instructions, the major sacred sciences shall be taught in Latin, which, as we know from many centuries of use, "must be considered most suitable for explaining with the utmost facility and clarity the most difficult and profound ideas and concepts."16 For apart from the fact that it has long since been enriched with a vocabulary of appropriate and unequivocal terms, best calculated to safeguard the integrity of the Catholic faith, it also serves in no slight measure to prune away useless verbiage.

Hence professors of these sciences in universities or seminaries are required to speak Latin and to make use of textbooks written in Latin. If ignorance of Latin makes it difficult for some to obey these instructions, they shall gradually be replaced by professors who are suited to this task. Any difficulties that may be advanced by students or professors must be overcome by the patient insistence of the bishops or religious superiors, and the good will of the professors.

A Latin Academy

6. Since Latin is the Church's living language, it must be adequate to daily increasing linguistic requirements. It must be furnished with new words that are apt and suitable for expressing modern things, words that will be uniform and universal in their application. and constructed in conformity with the genius of the ancient Latin tongue. Such was the method followed by the sacred Fathers and the best writers among the scholastics.

To this end, therefore, We commission the Sacred Congregation of Seminaries and Universities to set up a Latin Academy staffed by an international body of Latin and Greek professors. The principal aim of this Academy -- like the national academies founded to promote their respective languages -- will be to superintend the proper development of Latin, augmenting the Latin lexicon where necessary with words which conform to the particular character and color of the language.

It will also conduct schools for the study of Latin of every era, particularly the Christian one. The aim of these schools will be to impart a fuller understanding of Latin and the ability to use it and to write it with proper elegance. They will exist for those who are destined to teach Latin in seminaries and ecclesiastical colleges, or to write decrees and judgments or conduct correspondence in the ministries of the Holy See, diocesan curias, and the offices of religious orders....
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_xxiii/apost_constitutions/1962/documents/hf_j-xxiii_apc_19620222_veterum-sapientia_lt.html
http://www.papalencyclicals.net/John23/j23veterum.htm

When your supreme pontiffs were at Avignon, they didn't issue things in French.

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 01:33:46 PM »

Where have you been? Don't you know that if an EO Patriarchate does something it is perfectly fine? It is only worthy of anathema if Rome does it.
You ever hear of Nestorius?

You should see someone about that martyr complex.

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 01:37:02 PM »

Isa,

Wink

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 01:40:02 PM »

Isa,

Wink
Who hates Latin? It may not be my favorite language, but I don't hate it: I teach it to my sons (being Romanians, I look after their ancestors on their mothers side).

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 01:46:08 PM »

A little defensive there, aren't we?
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 04:44:23 PM »

Yes...what about him?

It is not a "complex" on my part if my faith is actually being attacked, and it is.

Okay, pretend like you don't notice what goes on on here on a daily basis. That's cool. :/
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 04:53:22 PM »

Okay, pretend like you don't notice what goes on on here on a daily basis. That's cool. :/

http://whitewhine.com/

MK: Link description:Blog for complaints by people with no actual problems.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 05:14:56 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 05:24:03 PM »

Yes...what about him?
He was an Eastern Orthodox patriarch we had no qualms about condemning.  Pope Honorius is a Western Orthodox patriarch we and Orthodox Rome had no qualms about condemning.
It is not a "complex" on my part if my faith is actually being attacked, and it is.
Arius, Macedonius, Nestorius, Eutyches, Theodore of Mopsuestia, Sergius and Theodosios the Iconclast can say the same thing, and they were all originally EO patriarchs and clergy. To them we can add Luther, Henry VIII, Calvin and Zwingli.

I always tell my sons that you can't look for trouble and then complain when you find it.

You made the ridiculous accusation (refuted here daily) "Don't you know that if an EO Patriarchate does something it is perfectly fine? It is only worthy of anathema if Rome does it," and were called on it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 05:25:49 PM by ialmisry » Logged

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 05:44:13 PM »

Not just was Nestorius an Eastern Orthodox Patriarch, he was the Patriarch of Constantinople

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 05:45:18 PM »

Yes...what about him?
He was an Eastern Orthodox patriarch we had no qualms about condemning.  Pope Honorius is a Western Orthodox patriarch we and Orthodox Rome had no qualms about condemning.
Arius, Macedonius, Nestorius, Eutyches, Theodore of Mopsuestia, Sergius and Theodosios the Iconclast can say the same thing, and they were all originally EO patriarchs and clergy. To them we can add Luther, Henry VIII, Calvin and Zwingli.

I always tell my sons that you can't look for trouble and then complain when you find it.

You made the ridiculous accusation (refuted here daily) "Don't you know that if an EO Patriarchate does something it is perfectly fine? It is only worthy of anathema if Rome does it," and were called on it.
None of this makes sense since Eastern Orthodoxy didn't exist until 1054.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 05:48:19 PM »

You guys need to get your story straight. I was watching an EWTN program the other day (Journey Home??), and the guy said that Orthodox were part of the Church for 1500 years, until the fall of Constantinople. Sort of left me scratching my head. But anyway, I thought yuns guys were all about figuring things out and making things official and whatnot  angel

Large Marge sent me...
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 05:51:01 PM »

You guys need to get your story straight. I was watching an EWTN program the other day (Journey Home??), and the guy said that Orthodox were part of the Church for 1500 years, until the fall of Constantinople. Sort of left me scratching my head. But anyway, I thought yuns guys were all about figuring things out and making things official and whatnot  angel
I think a better way to put it was the East was orthodox until the final final break in the 1500s. We like to put a specific date on the schism when it was actually a more gradual thing.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 06:53:22 PM »

Yes...what about him?

Yes, when the Patriarch of the West fell to heresy, Orthodoxy became Eastern by default.

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2011, 07:15:55 PM »

Yes, when the Patriarch of the West fell to heresy, Orthodoxy became Eastern by default.
It's not the "Eastern" part I take issue with. Tongue
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 07:20:15 PM »

I know, you have problems with the Orthodox part.

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2011, 07:41:13 PM »

I have a problem with the misuse of the word orthodox, yes.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2011, 07:47:05 PM »

God wanted to punish the Devil, so He made him learn Basque.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2011, 10:24:43 PM »

Pope Honorius is a Western Orthodox patriarch we and Orthodox Rome had no qualms about condemning.

I'm starting to think there's some truth to the rumors that you two were separated at birth.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2011, 11:23:19 PM »

Personally I'm of the opinion that if any language is the native language of demons, it's English.

It's an ungodly mix of French and German with random bits of Greek intersperced, with rules that even the native speakers can't understand.

As for the language of God, that's another matter.  Grin
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2011, 11:26:34 PM »

You're saying we were unorthodox (that is heretics) until 1054, when suddenly and magicly Cardinal Humbert turned us Orthodox (which by extention would make those who were on the other side unorthodox...)?

That's a new argument.  Cool
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2011, 11:32:53 PM »

You're saying we were unorthodox (that is heretics) until 1054, when suddenly and magicly Cardinal Humbert turned us Orthodox (which by extention would make those who were on the other side unorthodox...)?

No, I am saying you were orthodox until 1054 but continued to call yourselves that even afterward. Wink
 Wyatt, bickering over the word "orthodox", on an Orthodox Christian board, nonetheless, is the same as bickering about it the use of the word "catholic," which, as I'm sure you remember, I warned everyone about not so long ago.  For your continued engagement in ridiculous and pointless semantic arguments, you are hereby put on post moderation until Pascha.  As always, appeals can be made to Fr. George or FrChris.  -Schultz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2011, 11:33:47 PM »

As for the language of God, that's another matter.  Grin

The language of the Binars. Has to be.  angel

Large Marge sent me...
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2011, 11:45:10 PM »

No, I am saying you were orthodox until 1054 but continued to call yourselves that even afterward. Wink

Well saying Eastern Orthodoxy didn't exist until 1054, and then indicating you meant "orthodox" quite legalisticly would lend to other interpretation.  Wink

For example I might say that the Roman Catholic Church only existed until 1054, and ceased to be Catholic after that date. I think that's closer to what you were going for.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2011, 09:28:47 AM »

That's a new argument.  Cool

Yep, this sort of argument is really helpful, undoubtedly taken straight from the halls of academia. By the way, you were Catholic until then. Really......back and forth we go on the merry go round to nowhere with this sort of exchange.  Wink

It may help us understand where you and others on both 'sides' are coming from, but it does nothing to help us better understand each other, what we believe in common and the points upon which we differ. Perhaps you should read this recent paper from the North American Theological Consultation, you might learn something. http://www.scoba.us/articles/towards-a-unified-church.html
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 09:29:36 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2011, 11:53:05 AM »

I don't think the issue is of Rome having local customary ways of doing things, it's when Rome tries to make something that is local to be universal.

There's nothing wrong with Rome doing official things in latin, there is a big problem with saying that any language ina and of itself has some sort of special blessing above all others to be "an effective antidote for any corruption of doctrinal truth". When a single bishop is given universal authority, it can be very easy for a particular local custom of that bishop's see to become a universal practice, and then the next step would be to put doctrinal emphasis on why things should be done a particular way to the exclusion of other customs that may also be good. Priestly celibacy is another example of this happening in the Roman church.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2011, 11:19:13 PM »

I don't think the issue is of Rome having local customary ways of doing things, it's when Rome tries to make something that is local to be universal.

There's nothing wrong with Rome doing official things in latin, there is a big problem with saying that any language ina and of itself has some sort of special blessing above all others to be "an effective antidote for any corruption of doctrinal truth". When a single bishop is given universal authority, it can be very easy for a particular local custom of that bishop's see to become a universal practice, and then the next step would be to put doctrinal emphasis on why things should be done a particular way to the exclusion of other customs that may also be good. Priestly celibacy is another example of this happening in the Roman church.
Well, Latin is a good language to use for doctrinal statements for the simple fact that, since it is a dead language, it avoids any ambiguity which such statements are written in Latin. There is no doubt what a teaching from an encyclical or a council means since the Latin language is not still changing.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: