OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 04:04:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Orthodox faithful allowed to pray for non-Orthodox people?  (Read 1044 times) Average Rating: 0
rimlyanin

Faith: Apostolic
Jurisdiction: ?

Блаженный Леонид Фёдоров

« on: March 26, 2011, 08:49:53 AM »

If not, what is the teaching/reasoning behind it?  If so, are there any limitations and what is the teaching/reasoning?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 08:52:43 AM by rimlyanin » Logged
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 09:34:50 AM »

We are allowed to and encouraged to pray for everyone.

In the Divine Liturgy we pray "for peace in the world," and "Remember, Lord, the city in which we live, every city and country, and the faithful who dwell in them. Remember, Lord, the travelers, the sick, the suffering, and the captives, granting them protection and salvation. Remember, Lord, those who do charitable work, who serve in Your holy churches, and who care for the poor. And send Your mercy upon us all." In addition to this we pray "For our country, the president, and all those in public service, let us pray to the Lord."

We pray for the salvation of all, and for the well being of all.

I read in "The Mountain of Silence" by Kyriacos Markides that Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain is said to have even prayed for the salvation of the demons.

So yes, pray for everyone.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 09:42:37 AM »

We are not allowed to pray for specific people (mentioned with name) during the DL (proskomedia precisely) because the Eucharist washes out their sins and they are not allowed to take it.
rimlyanin

Блаженный Леонид Фёдоров

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 05:12:21 PM »

So Orthodox are able to pray for non-Orthodox, by name, outside the DL, for their health and well being (and not just for their conversion)?
AMM
Archon

Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 05:22:59 PM »

For a small fee.
prophetessanna

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 05:31:28 PM »

If not, what is the teaching/reasoning behind it?  If so, are there any limitations and what is the teaching/reasoning?

We pray for all people, brothers or enemies, believers and unbelievers, at every Liturgy.
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 07:49:48 PM »

There is no prohibition regarding an Orthodox Christian praying for non-Orthodox people.  We can also light candles for them and give offerings for them.  Every priest that I have had has encouraged this.  However, as stated above, there are some Liturgical prayers that cannot be made for them by name.  Some of these prayers provide assurances that we cannot give for those outside the Church, and some contain language (such as the prayers for the sick and canon for the dead) that make statements that we cannot be assured of.  But this should not stop us from praying at other times.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
ativan
Elder

Jurisdiction: Georgian Orthodox Church

Fr. Gabrieli Of Mtskheta

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 08:56:28 PM »

You can see it by reading Orthodox morning and evening prayers. At the end of the prayers there are prayer for living and departed. They are prayed for all not just Orthodox.

Morning prayer:
For the Living:

Remember, O Lord Jesus Christ our God, Thy mercies and compassions which are from the ages, for the sake of which Thou didst become man and didst will to endure crucifixion and death for the salivation of those that rightly believe in Thee; and having risen from the dead didst ascend into the heavens and sittest at the right hand of God the Father, and regardest the humble entreaties of those that call upon Thee with all their heart; incline Thine ear, and hearken unto the humble supplication of me, Thine unprofitable servant, as an odour of spiritual fragrance, which I offer unto Thee for all Thy people. And first, remember Thy Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church, which Thou hast provided through Thy precious Blood, and establish, and strengthen, and expand, increase, pacify, and keep Her unconquerable by the gates of hades. calm the dissensions of the churches, quench the raging of the nations, and quickly destroy and uproot the rising of heresy, and b! ring them to nought by the power of Thy Holy Spirit. Bow.

Save, O Lord, and have mercy on the Russian Land and her Orthodox people both in the homeland and in the diaspora, this land and its authorities. Bow.

Save, O Lord, and have mercy on the holy Eastern Orthodox patriarchs, most reverend metropolitans, Orthodox archbishops and bishops, and all the priestly and monastic order, and all who serve in the Church, whom Thou hast appointed to shepherd Thy rational flock, and through their prayers have mercy and save me, a sinner. Bow.

Save, O Lord, and have mercy on my spiritual father N., and through his holy prayers forgive my sins. Bow.

Save, O Lord, and have mercy on my parents, Names, brothers and sisters, and my kindred according to the flesh, and all the neighbours of my family and friends, and grant them Thine earthly and spiritual good things. Bow.

Save, O Lord, and have mercy on the aged and the young, the poor and the orphans and widows, and those in sickness and sorrow, misfortune and tribulation, those in difficult circumstances and in captivity, in prisons and dungeons, and especially those of Thy. servants that are persecuted for Thy sake and the Orthodox Faith by godless peoples, by apostates, and by heretics; and remember them, visit., strengthen, comfort, and by Thy power quickly grant them relief, freedom, and deliverance. Bow .

Save, O Lord, and have mercy on them that hate and wrong me, and make temptation for me, and let them not perish because of me, a sinner. Bow.

Illumine with the light of awareness the apostates from the Orthodox Faith, and those blinded by pernicious heresies, and number them with Thy Holy, Apostolic, Catholic Church. Bow.

For the Departed:

Remember, O Lord, those that have departed this life, Orthodox kings and queens, princes and princesses, most holy patriarchs, most reverend metropolitans, Orthodox archbishops and bishops, those in priestly and clerical orders of the Church, and those that have served Thee in the monastic order, and grant them rest with the saints in Thine eternal tabernacles. Bow.

Remember, O Lord, the souls of Thy departed servants, my parents, Names, and all my kindred according to the flesh, and forgive them all transgressions, voluntary and involuntary, granting them the kingdom and a portion of Thine eternal good things, and the delight of Thine endless and blessed life. Bow.

Remember, O Lord, also all our fathers and brethren, and sisters, and those that lie here, and all Orthodox Christians that departed in the hope of resurrection and life eternal, and settle them with Thy saints, where the light of Thy countenance shall visit them, and have mercy on us, for Thou art good and the Lover of mankind. Bow.

Grant, O Lord, remission of sins to all our fathers, brethren, and sisters that have departed before us in the faith and hope of resurrection, and make their memory to be eternal. Bow.
rimlyanin

Блаженный Леонид Фёдоров

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 09:16:38 AM »

Thanks to all for the information...very helpful.

с Богом
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 11:56:15 AM »

So Orthodox are able to pray for non-Orthodox, by name, outside the DL, for their health and well being (and not just for their conversion)?

We pray for the salvation of the whole world. Just because one is Orthodox doesn't guarantee one a ticket to Heaven.

If you take the time to read through some of the Orthodox prayers and the Divine Liturgy (see links below), your questions will be answered. To borrow a phrase from our friends in Rome, Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi. We pray what we believe.

The Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom

A Selection of Orthodox Daily Prayers

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 05:14:52 PM »

Yes. Not only allowed, but encouraged.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 10:35:39 AM »

I understand that we are to pray for everyone, especially those who ask for our prayers, and I have no problem with this.

However, I have found that all Muslims (at least those I know) are always asking for prayers.  Any time the conversation ends, it ends with "pray for us"...

I used to take this seriously....as if they truly wished for prayers....

However, over the years I have gotten to realize that they simply ask everyone, at the end of most conversations, emails, etc.

It's almost as if it's part of the closing...such as "sincerely yours", etc.

Therefore, I have at times not "prayed" by name for all of them, and yet, I read the prayer that states "for those who have asked us ... to pray for them...." and their request comes back to me.

For those who are more familiar with Islam...are these people actually asking for our prayers, or are they simply being polite or following their custom?

I'm just curious.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 02:17:20 PM »

I understand that we are to pray for everyone, especially those who ask for our prayers, and I have no problem with this.

However, I have found that all Muslims (at least those I know) are always asking for prayers.  Any time the conversation ends, it ends with "pray for us"...

I used to take this seriously....as if they truly wished for prayers....

However, over the years I have gotten to realize that they simply ask everyone, at the end of most conversations, emails, etc.

It's almost as if it's part of the closing...such as "sincerely yours", etc.

Therefore, I have at times not "prayed" by name for all of them, and yet, I read the prayer that states "for those who have asked us ... to pray for them...." and their request comes back to me.

For those who are more familiar with Islam...are these people actually asking for our prayers, or are they simply being polite or following their custom?

I'm just curious.

I would err on the side of it being a real request - we are called to show love to our enemies, after all.

For a small fee.

LOL.  Wrong thread.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 02:18:41 PM »

Yes. Not only allowed, but encouraged.

Amen!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: