OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 01:57:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Protestant Praise and Worship songs.  (Read 10502 times) Average Rating: 0
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« on: May 18, 2004, 06:58:02 PM »

I was indulging in a little "Recreational Christianity" ie. Protestant stuff.

I found this interesting.

Fotios
+++++++++++++++++++

“OH DONKEY’S CAN TALK LORD”

Oh Donkeys can Talk, Lord!
People can fly!
And my Super hero, Jesus
Lives up in the sky!

Four-Headed lions
With Three-Hundred eyes
Are landing in Jerusalem
And Millions will die

Well glory, glory, glory
Sha-doop da deedle dee!
Da Deedle deedle doody
La dupda, dweedle dee

When they kill the godly
And bury them in holes
They’ll jump back up like zombies
In search of unsaved souls!

OhGǪGlory to God!
Glory to God almighty!

CCLI# 4590876

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 07:53:04 PM »

I love indulging in Protestant music. Not the old church stuff, but the modern contempary Christian stuff. I personaly like a little of Martha Munizi (sp?), Kirk Franklin, and Third Day. There are some others, but I just can't remember.

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 07:53:58 PM »

"Jesus is Just Allright (with me)"
ByzantineSerb

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 08:02:53 PM »

“OH DONKEY’S CAN TALK LORD”

Oh Donkeys can Talk, Lord!
People can fly!
And my Super hero, Jesus
Lives up in the sky!

Four-Headed lions
With Three-Hundred eyes
Are landing in Jerusalem
And Millions will die

Well glory, glory, glory
Sha-doop da deedle dee!
Da Deedle deedle doody
La dupda, dweedle dee

When they kill the godly
And bury them in holes
They’ll jump back up like zombies
In search of unsaved souls!

OhGǪGlory to God!
Glory to God almighty!

Is this music for the Divine Liturgy  Grin. Mea culpa, just kidding.

I like on Eagle's Wings.

If we live as people of God, there will be room for all nations in the Balkans and in the world. If we liken ourselves to Cain who killed his brother Abel, then the entire earth will be too small even for two people. The Lord Jesus Christ teaches us to be
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Warned
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 09:47:34 PM »

"Lord, Won't You Buy Me A Mercerdes Benz?"

"Turn You Radio On (Get In Touch With God)"

Smiley

Just kidding!  Most of it is crap.  Ben, I have to disagree.  I can't stand Kirk Franklin.  But Tribe of Benjamin is nice.

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 10:00:44 PM »

I gotta say, whenever I chant Psalm 3 in a Vespers service, I always get that refrain going in my head from my Protestant days:

"For Thou, O Lord, art a shield for me / My glory and the lifter of my head!"

Then there's, "As the deer panteth for the water..."

But my favorite Christian artist, even after becoming Orthodox, is Rich Mullins.  I still have all the albums he ever put out.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 10:34:04 PM »

Personally, I'm glad I wasn't Protestant long enough to develop a liking for the music of the Baptist Church I attended.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 10:55:00 PM »

I like Bach and the other stuff that Keble and Ebor like. Smiley Does that count? What is this "praise" and "worship" stuff exactly?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 10:55:50 PM by Frobie » Logged
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 12:08:10 AM »

Frobie,
see http://www.ccli.com

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
ambrosemzv

Pray unto God for us, Holy Ambrose of Optino!

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 08:05:25 AM »

My favorite hymn (written by an Anglican, I believe, so I suppose it could be called a "Protestant praise and worship"):

They cast their nets in Galilee
Just off the hills of brown;
Such happy, simple fisherfolk,
Before the Lord came down.

Contented, peaceful fishermen,
Before they ever knew
The peace of God that filled their hearts
Brimful, and broke them too.

Young John who trimmed the flapping sail,
Homeless in Patmos died,
Peter, who hauled the teeming net,
Head-down was crucified.

The peace of God, it is no peace,
But strife closed in the sod,
Yet let us pray for but one thing --
The marvelous peace of God.

Words: William Alexander Percy (1885-1942), alt. Music: Georgetown, David McKinley Williams (1887-1978)

Words: Copyright by Edward B. Marks Music Corporation.

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne comprend pas.  -Pascal
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 08:12:07 AM »

Ah Ben I must disagree.  My personal feelings are 'Give me that old time Religion.' Wink (including their songs).  As for Protestant hymns, from my own Protestant Days yea many moons ago, I prefer " Rock of Ages," "Were you there...," and "Amazing Grace" (although I think this one is very much overdone) plus a slew of others among them Negro Spirituals but all the rest Old Time Protestant/ Baptist hymns.  When I was protestant I didn't listen to that S.P.A.M. (Stuff Posing As Music) because it was and is, IMO, simply Noise Pollution.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2004, 09:42:55 AM »

I just remember back in Catholic school back in the day being forced to sing "Love is Flowing Like a River" or some junk like that, and "I Believe"...  there were a whole lot of others, but at the moment I can remember any of them (Praise God).

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2004, 10:03:16 AM »

ah the joys of the Nervous [dis]Order.  Wink

I just remembered that a couple of years ago, Serge posted the lyrics to one of them freakish demon inspired songs entitled "Drop Kick me Jesus."

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
spartacus
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2004, 10:16:15 AM »

"Amazing Grace" is dear to me.

"The Battle Hymn of the Republic" also moves me.

As for recreational listening I enjoy Gospel music particularly Pop Staples.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2004, 10:21:15 AM »

"The Battle Hymn of the Republic" also moves me.

Did anyone else feel that cold shiver running down your spine? Wink

Joe Zollars

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2004, 10:31:46 AM »

Glory, glory hallelujah!  

His Truth is marching on!!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2004, 10:40:04 AM »

I still like a song I learned as a little boy: Jesus Loves Me.

You know the one:

Jesus loves me,

This I know,

For the Bible tells me so.

Little ones to Him belong;

They are weak,

But He is strong.

Yes, Jesus loves me.

Yes, Jesus loves me.

Yes, Jesus loves me;

The Bible tells me so.

There is more, but that should be enough to jog your memories.

I still love that song. It can bring tears to my eyes.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2004, 10:42:28 AM »

I also enjoy a rousing rendition of the true national anthem "Dixie" every now and then.   (believe it or not I have actually heard this played in a few churches down south).

Joe Zollars

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2004, 10:46:56 AM »

Did anyone else feel that cold shiver running down your spine? Wink

Joe Zollars
I don't know about "cold" but I think I know what you mean, Joe.
Outside of movies and maybe some radio, we 'cradles' don't have a lot of exposure to the Protestant traditions; but, believe it or not, I am rather partial to some old southern Gospel music such as "Wade in the Water", etc.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2004, 10:49:24 AM »

mmm that is a good one.  

to be fair, in the right circumstances, the Battle Hymn of hte "republic" can be a moving piece.  It was afterall composed by a southernor.

Joe Zollars

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2004, 10:54:45 AM »

Joe, Julia Ward Howe was born in New York City and lived in Boston.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2004, 10:57:31 AM »

ah shucks.  I could of sworn she was a loyal citizen of the Old Dominion. Was she at least a copperhead?

Joe Zollars

PS:  do 150 year old political history stuff count under the ban on american politics?

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2004, 11:01:02 AM »

From what I remember, she was quite the abolitionist.  Being the Yank that she was, I'm sure you two would have had loads to talk about regarding that Southern Way of Life. Wink

spartacus
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2004, 11:21:31 AM »

The Battle Hymn was the THE defacto National Anthem of the United States during the Civil War. It is an abolishnist song. Being raised in RCC this was a song maybe only sung on the 4th of July after Vatican II.

I actually learned it in Public middle schools. SInce it does not mention "Jesus" and is an historically relevant piece...it was considered OK in public schools in the 1970s. It was also a song used by some of my Army units for marching when I served in the Army....and since it was a song most everyone knew and could relate to wheter they were Christian, Jewish or even Muslim....It was also soometimes sung at non-denominational prayer meetings that were often held in the field by chaplins who could be from any faith....

So for me and for many like me who have served in the US military, it can have some deep emotions tied to it....

I think it is healthy for our nation to have "spiritual"-type national songs like the Battle Hymn. The United States is a very spiritual, religious nation of many different faiths. I am all for anything that unites us rather than divides -- especially when it involves God...and the Battle Hymn is just "Humanist enough" to escape the chilling effect atheists have in our modern society.

And for the record I was born in Chatahooche COunty Georgia and it don't get much more Southern than that...and I still can't get the red off my neck...despite 35 years in the North.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2004, 12:32:29 PM »

From what I remember, she was quite the abolitionist.  Being the Yank that she was, I'm sure you two would have had loads to talk about regarding that Southern Way of Life. Wink

So were Lee and Davis.  and so was Jackson to a lesser extent.

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2004, 12:36:03 PM »

The Battle Hymn was the THE defacto National Anthem of the United States during the Civil War. It is an abolishnist song. Being raised in RCC this was a song maybe only sung on the 4th of July after Vatican II.

I actually learned it in Public middle schools. SInce it does not mention "Jesus" and is an historically relevant piece...it was considered OK in public schools in the 1970s. It was also a song used by some of my Army units for marching when I served in the Army....and since it was a song most everyone knew and could relate to wheter they were Christian, Jewish or even Muslim....It was also soometimes sung at non-denominational prayer meetings that were often held in the field by chaplins who could be from any faith....

So for me and for many like me who have served in the US military, it can have some deep emotions tied to it....

I think it is healthy for our nation to have "spiritual"-type national songs like the Battle Hymn. The United States is a very spiritual, religious nation of many different faiths. I am all for anything that unites us rather than divides -- especially when it involves God...and the Battle Hymn is just "Humanist enough" to escape the chilling effect atheists have in our modern society.

And for the record I was born in Chatahooche COunty Georgia and it don't get much more Southern than that...and I still can't get the red off my neck...despite 35 years in the North.

Greetings fellow displaced son of dixie!

Joe Zollars

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2004, 12:57:39 PM »

By "quite the abolitionist", I mean she was one of those abolitionists who believed that the war should have been and was about slavery.

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2004, 01:01:10 PM »

hmm, well then she didn't agree with most abolitionists at the time.   Most were happy when us southrons took most of the slave states with us.  It was no longer "their problem."  But seriously, how could anyone think the war was about slavery when slave states fought for the north, two yankee generals owned slaves, and more than a few prominint southrons were avid and open abolitionists.  

If the war had been about slavery, the emancipation proclamation would have come at the begining and most likely would have been the triggering factor.

Joe Zollars

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2004, 01:09:43 PM »

My favorite hymn (written by an Anglican, I believe, so I suppose it could be called a "Protestant praise and worship"):

They cast their nets in Galilee....

Well, we Episcopalians would call it a "hymn"-- it's from the Hymnal, after all. (The pop music stuff we generally call "praise songs".)

This has always been a favorite of mine, and I used the last verse in my sig file for a long time when I was on usenet.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2004, 01:16:42 PM »

SInce it does not mention "Jesus" and is an historically relevant piece...it was considered OK in public schools in the 1970s.

OK.... who-in-the-heck did they think that "as he died to make men holy" refer to??  Huh
Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2004, 01:57:07 PM »

I like the old stuff by the quartet groups like the Soul Stirrers and the Mississippi Blind Boys and Alabama Blind Boys. (Although I don't dig a lot of the Azuza Street theology that spawned it).

And I don't think that Battle Hymn of the Republic is scary.  I like it!  Shame on anyone who would break up this great union.  And I don't just mean the defeated rebels, but also those Michigan Militia types, and Farrakahn and his boys.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 02:02:24 PM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2004, 02:15:29 PM »

I like Bach and the other stuff that Keble and Ebor like. Smiley Does that count? What is this "praise" and "worship" stuff exactly?

Thank you, Frobie.  That cheered me. I guess I'm an old fuddy-duddy that I don't care for much of the topic music.

As Keble stated, there is a difference (at least amongst Anglicans) between hymns and "Praise music".  Not all hymns are winners, but there are many God-focused worshipful ones.  As near as I can tell "Praise Music" came from two different lines: one from the Baptodisterian side and the other from the RC (Was the the J-boys in St. Louis in particular?  I need to check)  

Personally I loathe many "Praise songs".  They sometimes have the singer being the "Voice of God" which I object to as we humans are *not*  God and shouldn't speak like we are.  And the tunes are either irregular and hard for congregational singing or sappy like commercials.  

Gospel is different from that as is Sacred Harp.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2004, 02:21:08 PM »

OK.... who-in-the-heck did they think that "as he died to make men holy" refer to??  Huh

Not to mention the first line:

"Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord"
spartacus
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2004, 03:47:29 PM »

Not to mention the first line:

"Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord"

Yes but Jesus and God are not mentioned specifically so in the 1970s in Illinois and many other staes it was OK to teach Public school kids this American hymn. Roll Eyes I'm not making this up.

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2004, 04:00:40 PM »

I say, Go Alaska! go Hawaii! (I am a big supporter both morally and financially of independence movements in these two states).  Anything to weaken Babylon on the Potomoc's strangle hold on the south.

Joe Zollars

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2004, 04:12:37 PM »

Yes but Jesus and God are not mentioned specifically so in the 1970s in Illinois and many other staes it was OK to teach Public school kids this American hymn. Roll Eyes I'm not making this up.

I'm pondering just who they thought "The Lord" was if not God...

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2004, 04:16:01 PM »

Maybe they were Greeks and thought it was referring to Lord Byron !
Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2004, 06:27:40 PM »

I say, Go Alaska! go Hawaii! (I am a big supporter both morally and financially of independence movements in these two states).  Anything to weaken Babylon on the Potomoc's strangle hold on the south.

Joe Zollars

Really?  Are the movements for independence really big in those states?  I can't imagine that they'd do too well on their own without being part of the USA, the most prosperous nation on the earth.  Could either of them maintain the same standard of living they currently enjoy?  Maybe Hawaii could with tourism...I just can't imagine any state actually wanting to break ties with the mightiest nation on the Earth, and least not nowadays.

erracht
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2004, 04:49:10 AM »

I like to play on the bagpipes:

-The Lord's my Shepherd (Crimond)
-By Cool Siloam's Shady Hill
-Faith of our Fathers
-Nearer, my God to Thee
-Holy, Holy, Holy (Nicea)

Amazing Grace is about one of the two most popular pipes on the pipes. I play a version that's slightly richer than what most pipers seem to play.

Another very nice hymn is Abide with Me.

NULL
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2004, 01:30:25 PM »

Yeah, but the hymns aren't nearly as annoying as the "praise" songs.  At my former churches they would sing the same ones over and over and over . . . .  I especially liked it when the overhead projectors with hand scribbled words were replaced with a computer generated image . . . . of the same fifteen words.  Of course, you had to have an "orchestra" or a single guitar player.  Some of the holy-roller churches had tambourines in each pew so the people could get carried away.

And I used to hate it when the preacher would get "carried away" by some chorus with fifteen to twenty words and sing it over and over and over . . . . and you KNEW his sermon wasn't going to be ANY shorter.

I was a little too much of a hillbilly for those things.  I liked the standards from the hymnal.  "There's Power in the Blood" was always fun to sing in a gospel quartet.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 01:31:26 PM by cizinec » Logged

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2004, 01:50:01 PM »

At my former churches they would sing the same ones over and over and over . . . .

Proving Fr Peter Gillquist's point (made in Becoming Orthodox) that people are naturally liturgical. The church that ditches set prayers soon develops its own liturgy all over again - the same songs, etc.

This genre isn't my thing but if you like it, knock yourselves out. I think most will agree with me: knock yourselves out as long as these songs aren't done in church.

Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2004, 07:17:08 PM »

Not too many Protestant bands worth listening to.

Here's my very short list:

Delirious - by far the best "christian" band around. They pretty much sound just like U2. Check out thier album "Mezzamorphis", which has a very U2 Achtung Baby feel to it.

Spoken (the 2nd self titled album) - These guys sound pretty close to Rage Against the Machine. The whole album is good all the way through. They don't sound like a "christian" band at all.

Living Sacrifice - If you like heavy music like Pantera, this is the band for you. These guys put most hard core "secular" heavy metal bands to shame.

POD - These guys are probably the best selling christian band out there. I find some of thier stuff pretty decent.

Jars of Clay - I find some of thier stuff OK.

I also like some of the old southern hyms. Besides that, most of the stuff passing for "christian music" is not nice to the ears.  

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2004, 07:27:18 PM »

very good point Serge!

Joe Zollars

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2010, 08:10:57 AM »

Living Sacrifice - If you like heavy music like Pantera, this is the band for you. These guys put most hard core "secular" heavy metal bands to shame.

Can't say that I'd agree.  Smiley

But as for my favorite religious songs...

The Heart Of Worship
Shout To The Lord
Open The Eyes Of My Heart
Lord I Lift Your Name On High
Awesome God

PS. Yes, I realise how old this thread is.

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2010, 08:16:26 AM »

Ein Feste Burg Ist Unser Gott

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2010, 08:56:47 AM »

"Världens Frälsare är här" in the songbook used by Swedish speaking lutherans in Finland  Grin It's a translation of "Veni Redemptor gentium" by Saint Ambrosius of Milan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Ambrose). It is packed full of true christological and trinitarian doctrine!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2010, 10:35:09 AM »

Since I generally like songs that are well written, melodic, and sung with taste (particularly a capella), I generally do not like "praise and worship" songs. Nor do I like hymns (Protestant, Catholic or even Orthodox) that are overblown (huge concert pieces that are designed to impress the listener with the "genius" of the composer or the proficiency of the performers). Electric guitars or drums are also out.

That said, there are many "old timey" Protestant hymns that are lovely (some of them are also Orthodox in their substance and/or ethos). Some seem to be simplistic but on closer listening are merely honest: I am now talking about country or blue grass hymns. For examples, I am thinking about the hymns that were included in the O Brother Wherefore Art Thou? album, particularly "I'll Fly Away," "Down to the River to Pray," and "Keep On The Sunny Side." Of course, there are many standards that are also pleasing to the ear and contain Christian sentiments; I am thinking about "Rock of Ages," "Nearer My God to Thee" and "Amazing Grace."
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 10:35:37 AM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2010, 10:48:44 AM »

I agree with Second Chance  I really can't stand the modern rock-and-roll worship songs.  I especially hate what the Episcopalians do called U2-charist, where it's a mass, but a band is playing instead of a preacher.  and, now that I'm Orthodox, it really gets to me when someone like a rock group are behind the altar. 

but the Protestant hymns I LOVE have to be Stilla Natt, and Nearer, my God, to thee.  I also like It is well with my soul.

heres a video of Stilla Natt:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT9BbrxMWsA
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 10:51:34 AM by trevor72694 » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2010, 10:57:09 AM »

Since I generally like songs that are well written, melodic, and sung with taste (particularly a capella), I generally do not like "praise and worship" songs. Nor do I like hymns (Protestant, Catholic or even Orthodox) that are overblown (huge concert pieces that are designed to impress the listener with the "genius" of the composer or the proficiency of the performers). Electric guitars or drums are also out.

That said, there are many "old timey" Protestant hymns that are lovely (some of them are also Orthodox in their substance and/or ethos). Some seem to be simplistic but on closer listening are merely honest: I am now talking about country or blue grass hymns. For examples, I am thinking about the hymns that were included in the O Brother Wherefore Art Thou? album, particularly "I'll Fly Away," "Down to the River to Pray," and "Keep On The Sunny Side." Of course, there are many standards that are also pleasing to the ear and contain Christian sentiments; I am thinking about "Rock of Ages," "Nearer My God to Thee" and "Amazing Grace."

I know what you mean.  I feel the same way about some of the old African-American spirituals and quartet music.  Some if it has that same "sweet sorrow" feeling present in some of the Russian hymns, like All the Generations.

I'm thinking in particular of songs like How Far Am I From Canaan, He'll Make a Way, and Dear One.

I've also always liked the melody of this old hymn called There is a Happy Land because I thought it sounded Eastern.  Later I found out (thanks to google) that it was adapted from a Hindustani air

Nazarene
High Elder

Faith: Judaism
Jurisdiction: Messianic

David ben Yessai

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2010, 11:55:47 AM »

This is a group worth listening to: http://www.sowetogospelchoir.com/
Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2010, 01:00:09 PM »

I've always loved the isicathamiya and mbube styles, particularly the older stuff.  And I love the Coptic icon of King David in your avatar. Smiley

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2010, 02:31:48 PM »

This is probably the best Charismatic worship song I've heard at least from the musical perspective. Among the more traditional Protestant hymns I like those which resemble the liturgical chant of Latin tradition. I loved Finnish translations of Te Deum etc. probably even years before my conversion so it was nice to realize that they were originally written by the Orthodox. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 02:35:40 PM by Alpo » Logged

jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2010, 04:30:29 PM »

I love indulging in Protestant music. Not the old church stuff, but the modern contempary Christian stuff. I personaly like a little of Martha Munizi (sp?), Kirk Franklin, and Third Day. There are some others, but I just can't remember.

I like Kirk Franklin and I am a HUGE fan of Third day as well. I can indulge in either the old protestant church stuff as well as some of the new.

My favorite 3rd day song is this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4b-KqLiWQk (You're Everywhere) with words

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wm-Hk6-s2A (You're Everywhere) Live

I have 3, 4....or maybe 5 of their albums!

My favorite Kirk Franklin song is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8NfAB3QdSI (You're the Reason why we sing)

As far as the more modern stuff that's out now......I would say I like the Canadian group NewWorldSon and the song ""There is a Way""
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17eWXuUTq5s (There is a way)

ICXC NIKA
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 04:38:12 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2010, 04:32:24 PM »

I know quite a few organists, who refer to mosern praise songs as "7-11 hymns"....seven words repeated for 11 choruses!

Proverbs 22:7
Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2010, 04:48:09 PM »

I like Kirk Franklin and I am a HUGE fan of Third day as well. I can indulge in either the old protestant church stuff as well as some of the new.

I like his older stuff, especially Silver and Gold.  Not too crazy about the newer stuff where he's trying to be Diddy.  Silver and Gold was great though.  "I'd rather have Jesus than silver and gold".  A unique sentiment in a misquided world where people run around claiming that "God wants me to be rich".

Ben Tankard is pretty great, especially his work with Tribe of Benjamin.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2010, 05:15:55 PM »

One of my favourites when I was a Protestant, and one I still enjoy is "Holy, Holy, Holy":

Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty!
Early in the morning our song shall rise to Thee;
Holy, holy, holy, merciful and mighty!
God in three Persons, blessèd Trinity!

Holy, holy, holy! All the saints adore Thee,
Casting down their golden crowns around the glassy sea;
Cherubim and seraphim falling down before Thee,
Who was, and is, and evermore shall be.

Holy, holy, holy! though the darkness hide Thee,
Though the eye of sinful man Thy glory may not see;
Only Thou art holy; there is none beside Thee,
Perfect in power, in love, and purity.

All Thy works shall praise Thy Name, in earth, and sky, and sea;
Holy, holy, holy; merciful and mighty!

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2010, 05:53:10 PM »

I like his older stuff, especially Silver and Gold.  Not too crazy about the newer stuff where he's trying to be Diddy.  Silver and Gold was great though.  "I'd rather have Jesus than silver and gold".  A unique sentiment in a misquided world where people run around claiming that "God wants me to be rich".

Ben Tankard is pretty great, especially his work with Tribe of Benjamin.

I totally agree!

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2010, 09:30:33 PM »

In addition to my post from six years ago (good grief!), a list from '08 that I put on another thread:

Holy, Holy, Holy

Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing

To God Be The Glory; Great Things He Hath Done

It Is Well With My Soul

How Great Thou Art

Just As I Am

This Is My Father's World

Be Thou My Vision

Morning Has Broken

Draw Me Nearer

Oh, The Deep, Deep Love of Jesus
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 09:31:25 PM by DavidBryan » Logged

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2010, 11:55:08 PM »

This thread got me thinking about some of my favorite old Lutheran hymns, and thinking about how they helped to bring me to the Orthodox faith. Sound strange? Not really. You can get little glimpses of Orthodoxy in a lot of the old Lutheran hymns.  Here are a few examples:

old Lutheran Christmas hymn

All my heart this night rejoices
As I hear, far and near,
Sweetest angel voices.
"Christ is born!" their choirs are singing
Till the air
Everywhere
Now with joy is singing.

Forth today the Conqueror goeth,
Who the foe, sin and woe,
Death and hell, o'erthroweth.
God is man, man to deliver.
His dear Son
Now is one
With our blood forever. (Paul Gerhardt, 1653)

old Lutheran Eastern hymn

Christ the Lord is risen again
Christ has broken death's strong chain
Hark, the angels shout for joy
Singing evermore on high
Hallelujah!

He who gave for us His life
Who for us endured the strife
Is our Paschal Lamb today
We too sing for joy and say
Hallelujah!

He whose path no records tell
Hath descended into hell
He the strong man armed hath bound
And in highest heaven is crowned.
Hallelujah!  (Michael Weisse, 1531)

old Lutheran Eucharistic Hymn

Soul, adorn Thyself with gladness,
Leave behind all gloom and sadness.
Come into the daylight's splendor,
There with joy thy praises render
Unto Him whose grace unbounded
Hath this wondrous Supper founded
High o'er all the heavens He reigneth
Yet to dwell with thee He deigneth.

He who craves a precious treasure
Neither cost nor pain will measure.
But the priceless gifts of heaven
God to us hath freely given.
Though the wealth of earth were proffered,
Naught would buy the gifts here offered:
Christ's true body, for thee riven,
And His blood, for thee once given.

Human reason, though it ponder,
Cannot fathom this great wonder
That Christ's Body e'er remaineth
Though it countless souls sustaineth
And that He His blood is giving
With the wine we are receiving.
These great mysteries unsounded
Are by God alone expounded.  (Johann Franck, 1649)

Pretty good on the Incarnation, Resurrection, the Harrowing of Hell and the Real Presence, isn't it?
Thankful
Elder

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2010, 09:01:23 PM »

Ein Feste Burg Ist Unser Gott

My husband's family has German ancestry and I'm planning on putting this on our living room wall in Uppercase Living letters.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 09:01:44 PM by Thankful » Logged

Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

St. Marina of Antioch

« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2010, 11:49:51 PM »

One of my favourites when I was a Protestant, and one I still enjoy is "Holy, Holy, Holy":

Early in the morning our song shall rise to Thee;
Holy, holy, holy, merciful and mighty!

Holy, holy, holy! All the saints adore Thee,
Casting down their golden crowns around the glassy sea;
Cherubim and seraphim falling down before Thee,
Who was, and is, and evermore shall be.

Holy, holy, holy! though the darkness hide Thee,
Though the eye of sinful man Thy glory may not see;
Only Thou art holy; there is none beside Thee,
Perfect in power, in love, and purity.

All Thy works shall praise Thy Name, in earth, and sky, and sea;
Holy, holy, holy; merciful and mighty!
That one was one of my favorites as a Latin Catholic.  Grin

Marina
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 11:50:29 PM by EVOO » Logged

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
Nazarene
High Elder

Faith: Judaism
Jurisdiction: Messianic

David ben Yessai

« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2010, 02:27:55 AM »

I've always loved the isicathamiya and mbube styles, particularly the older stuff.  And I love the Coptic icon of King David in your avatar. Smiley

Me too Wink, Coptic icons are my favourite cause they're so cute.
mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2010, 03:18:51 PM »

I like the old Gospel, (family half baptist-grew up on it), I loved Petra-still do, Staples (Love Mavis Staples the Voice CD), Gaithers, Russ Taft, ............................could go on and on.
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

Faith: Former Christian

Romans 10:9-10

« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2011, 10:48:37 PM »

A Mighty Fortress Is Our God

Gotta love Martin Luther's hymns  laugh

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: